MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Mat
On the road to being a farker

Default KCBS Membership Question

Why would I want a family membership over an individual membership? Or vice versa......

I want to sign up, even though I wont compete till next year, to just solidify my team name so no one else takes it. Plus a discount here and there would be nice.

Their site doesnt really explain what a family membership gives you for the extra $15 bucks.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

You could contact them at [email protected] to see what they have to say.

I know that my wife and I are members on a family plan because we support the activities of the organization and want to support it financially.

It is not a requirement to be a KCBS member for your team to compete in KCBS sanctioned contests. Adding your team name to the list does not guarantee that your team name will not be used - it helps. Most teams look for their chosen team name and if they find that it's already in use, then they choose another name. But this is not guaranteed.

The only legally defensible way to absolutely ensure no other team uses your name is to form a business entity and submit a trademark registration with your state.

http://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/corporations/0241-f-l-a.pdf

Most folks aren't all that serious, so they find 'registering' their team name at the KCBS web site helps achieve their goal for a relatively small amount of money.

Hope this helps -
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We originally had a family membership because we both needed to be KCBS members to judge. We don't judge much anymore, but I just keep renewing the family membership.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote