MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs down Food Network's "Next Big Star" winner. Another "Suzy Home Maker" persona.

Once again Food Network disappoints me but I actually picked the winner from the first episode. I knew the moment I saw the Melissa lady, the one with the blond hair, constant cheerleader face and stay at home soccer mom look that would be the one they picked if she didn't just totally screw it up and I was right.

So we have another cookie cutter persona. They've already got Sandra Lee and the Italian lady who are all basically cut from the same mold. Now we have another "Suzy home maker type" persona to add to the list. I read an article the other day that said BBQ and BBQ competition was the fastest growing "sport" and recreational food type in the country. More people are getting into BBQ. Yet you see none of that on Food Network. They try to project the same ole cookie cutter persona's. What a waste.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

im actually glad she made it..not my style cooking but always good to see the under dog win ..i mean she has no pro culinary training or background and cooked her way past many that did.
the other contender was a guy using weird ingredients from france ..basically ingredients that would just flat out be hard to find..
from Food Network/tv programming standpoint Melissa was the smart choice..

from the Bob guy..forgot his last name..

"Overall, Jeffrey’s food fascinated and delighted me. Except for a few notable flubs, most of his food had a spicy elegance to it. The ingredients that attracted him – and would have been the heart of his “Ingredient Smuggler” show – and the sophistication of his recipes wouldn’t have appealed to everyone. That’s OK; we do a range of shows.

Melissa’s bottomless trove of tips and tricks kept teaching me things, and I thought viewers would appreciate them too. But mostly, her food kept winning me over. It is exactly the kind of smart, sophisticated but accessible home cooking that viewers constantly tell me they want to learn from us. And her deep knowledge of budget and time-conscious recipes seemed perfect for these times."

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
im actually glad she made it..not my style cooking but always good to see the under dog win ..i mean she has no pro culinary training or background and cooked her way past many that did.
the other contender was a guy using weird ingredients from france ..basically ingredients that would just flat out be hard to find..
from Food Network/tv programming standpoint Melissa was the smart choice..
From what they had to pick from I agree. But the network is starting to get like general motors was in offering a ton of cars that basically were the same just a different name. I know I'm biased toward grilling and bbq'ing but it boggles my mine how this method of cooking is the fastest growing amongst recreational cookers and competition cookers yet you see no effort by the network to address this ever growing market. It's almost like the network has become too "sophisticated" for something so "simple".

On a personal level for her I'm very proud for the Melissa lady. But it's pretty much what they already have. It's nothing much different than Sandra Lee. Quick, easy and inexpensive cooking ideas. Much like Rachael Ray as well. To me they've already got these types persona's and styles already. Oh well. I need another cup of coffee.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
From what they had to pick from I agree. But the network is starting to get like general motors was in offering a ton of cars that basically were the same just a different name. I know I'm biased toward grilling and bbq'ing but it boggles my mine how this method of cooking is the fastest growing amongst recreational cookers and competition cookers yet you see no effort by the network to address this ever growing market. It's almost like the network has become too "sophisticated" for something so "simple".

On a personal level for her I'm very proud for the Melissa lady. But it's pretty much what they already have. It's nothing much different than Sandra Lee. Quick, easy and inexpensive cooking ideas. Much like Rachael Ray as well. To me they've already got these types persona's and styles already. Oh well. I need another cup of coffee.

agreed..good analogy with GM too ..Food Network has gone down in decent cooking shows for many years now IMO ..all the shows are very generic ..long gone are the days of grillin and chillin and the original emeril show (before all that bam/ showbizzy nonsense)
the closest they come to any kind of bbq which isnt close at all is that god awful neelys show
I dont watch that channel even half as much as I did about 15 years ago

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

The American TV public, for the most part is about personalities. Nothing more, nothing less.

The next Food Network Star is about great ratings on Sunday Night, they aren't nearly as interested about what happens on the 9:30am (est) Sunday morning slot these shows fill. Aaron McGargill has some skills but other than Guy no one else has really made it. And I'm convinced Guy was a ringer from the beginning, they knew he was going to win.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I auditioned Friday for the next season of NFNS. Probably won't make it but I made a hard sell for a real grilling and barbecue show.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Fired Up
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The fact that Rachel Ray is a cooking superstar just blows my mind. Food Network just keeps getting worse.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I guarantee you that the guy that came in 2nd place will get a show. Just like last season when Big Daddy won, but that Adam guy ended up with the "Will work for Food" show.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
landarc

It is like Larry says, it has nothing to do with ability to cook, it is about personalities and honestly, projecting an image of a person in the kitchen. Guy is an anomaly and he is also the only recent new show host with any heat in the marketplace. His shows are the ones that became really popular. My sister in law (being typical of American housewives, loves Rachel, Sandra and Paula, she loves the fact they are not chefs, handle cooking like 'everyone' else etc...

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Kettledog
Knows what a fatty is.

Good luck SmokeInDaEye, that's awesome.
Kettledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It is like Larry says, it has nothing to do with ability to cook, it is about personalities and honestly, projecting an image of a person in the kitchen. Guy is an anomaly and he is also the only recent new show host with any heat in the marketplace. His shows are the ones that became really popular. My sister in law (being typical of American housewives, loves Rachel, Sandra and Paula, she loves the fact they are not chefs, handle cooking like 'everyone' else etc...
You won't get an argument from me on this. There is a market for the "typical American house wife.." and that market has been addressed with Rachel Ray, Sandra Lee etc. But there is also a huge market for the "typical American man with his grill and smoker" as well. I live in a neighborhood of about 200 houses and on any given night you can step outside and smell the aroma of either propane, charcoal or wood coming from a grill or smoker. And on a weekend? It's all you smell. I know my neighborhood doesn't necessarily represent the majority but I do know that I'm pretty sure our neighborhood probably isn't the only one like this across America either.

There are enough "personalities" in this country from all styles of cooking that finding a "personality" for a grilling/bbq themed show wouldn't be a problem. I just think the powers at be at Food Network simply just don't have any interest in going this direction with any of their shows. Why? I'm not sure.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

I would like to see a BBQ/grilling show on FN also. But I wonder if there is enough variety in types of food to cook this way , and types of methods to consistently come up with new topics for a series.

I would like to see a good series on Mexican and Tex/Mex cooking. As much Mexican food as there is consumed in the US, it seems like a natural, but there is nothing like that.

Well, there is 'Simply Delicioso", but that's more Cuban.

Anyone remember Justin Wilson? "A little wine for the pot, a little wine for the cook.".

Chuck
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

Almost forgot, there used to be a show called "License to Grill". I forget the channel, not FN. The guy cooked everything outside and did a lot of grilling and smoking. Sadly, it was taken off a couple years ago.

Chuck

Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
landarc

I see no difference between the foods you can cook on Emeril's shows or Rachel's shows that you could do on a BBQ or grill. In fact, if you were to put in the effort, you could do one heck of a show by doing a travelogue show like Diners Drive-ins and Dives, but meeting folks like us working on our own regional and local spins of BBQ. It is a matter of will, not ability.

Sadly, I watch Simply Delicioso just because I like to watch Ingrid Hoffman.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

Sadly, I watch Simply Delicioso just because I like to watch Ingrid Hoffman.
HAH! Me, too, but I wasn't gonna say it. I have a friend that watches Giada just for the cleavage. He's desperate.

Chuck