Contest privacy/spying?

watg?

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on privacy at a contest? Both giving and receiving. Some teams operate within enclosed trailers, other use trailers and other equipment as blockers to prevent wandering eyes, still others erect tents and screens to ensure no one sees what they are doing. How do you feel about this procedure? Do you work to prevent shigging or invading eyes? Do you get offended when your neighbor erects a screen on Saturday morning? when you are being watched? Do you care if anyone sees your procedure? Do you assign a team member to watch a nearby setup? Do you spend time trying to see what the “team over there” is doing to their chicken? Do you become annoyed when a fellow competitor stops by your work table during a critical time? Do you make it a habit to visit others while they are prepping to see what is going on? Thoughts???…Comments???

Never been a big deal to me. Folks come and watch me prep all of the time and I appreciate the company. I don't have any big secrets. Most of what I know is already up hear on the board. I post my turn-in boxes, ingredients and techniques (although they are all subject to change at a moments notice.

On Saturday morning, I am usually walking around with a video camera or a digital camera. Nobody has ever sent me away. I don't try to get pics of their techniques either. Just all in good fun. Maybe folks just know that I think it would be pointless to cheat.

George, I don't care if pepole stop by and watch what I'm doing, but then I don't do so well that nobody cares what I'm doing. Can I come by and watch you do chicken?

I'm a new competitor so this is only an uninformed opinion. Let me say that I don't believe in BBQ secrets. Sure, at the upper levels there may be subtle nuances that make the difference between GC and RGC. However, the reason folks score well in comp after comp is skill, not a secret rub or method of glazing meat. Again, I may be wrong here but I have had some exposure to what big time teams do and they didn't hesitate to share their methods with me. I think the reason for this is that they know that the difference between them and me is not a secret spice in their rub. The difference is skill and experience. You can't steal that!!

I have a sponsors banner that I hang. It's also everything that I use. Do I change some things around to make it mine? Yes I do...

So in one breath I could care less. In another, all shiggers should be shot....

I'm a new competitor so this is only an uninformed opinion. Let me say that I don't believe in BBQ secrets. Sure, at the upper levels there may be subtle nuances that make the difference between GC and RGC. However, the reason folks score well in comp after comp is skill, not a secret rub or method of glazing meat. Again, I may be wrong here but I have had some exposure to what big time teams do and they didn't hesitate to share their methods with me. I think the reason for this is that they know that the difference between them and me is not a secret spice in their rub. The difference is skill and experience. You can't steal that!!

I agree with Monty. I personally dont care if anyone is looking at prep or turn in time. If anybody wants to know what I am using all they have to do is ask... Not that I am to a point where others are wondering what I am using :shock::mrgreen:.... Yet.... :wink:

Last year was our first at comps, we only did 4, and I am happy to say we don't shig! But we were lucky enough to have some more experienced cooks give us some advice here and there along the way.

I don't mind people hanging around our site, enjoy the company, but I think that even if someone else gave you every secret they had, and starting with the same product, seasonings, and sauces, the better cooks product will usually win.

Now, I need to work on being a better cook!:wink:

Most of the people I talk to at comps will tell you jst about anything you want to know. Why spy and cheat when you can just ask:rolleyes:. As far as anyone shiggin on us, I think they'll figure out pretty quick that we're not the ones to be spying on:lol::lol:

Since I really dont have any secrets (yet :twisted:) I dont really mind visitors except around turn in time , just a little busy then. I am pretty social and I walk around and talk to people, I try to avoid those who look busy. I am also blessed with the friends I have made that share info as well as this site. Other then stealing someones spices and sauces or going through there stuff I dont think someone can copy what you are doing. I think it is more then meets the eye as well as practice, which cant be shigged.

I personally cannot stand the guys who hide behind tents and hide in their trailers. It kinda rubs me the wrong way. I understand for weather purposes to hide under tents or in closures. But as far as the guy hiding in his trailer to trim his chicken, get a life - we all know you are forming your cute little plastic puffs (quoted from sledneck). Don't mean to sound harsh, or maybe I do! This is more than a regular comp, I consider it almost a social event. Hiders should be removed. Non social weirdo's.

Count me in the "non social weirdo" camp, then. We've very rarely put up a privacy wall for a short time during prep, and had people come and deliberately rip on the velcro and stick their heads in! Hel-LOOO!!! What an unpleasant shock they would have had if I were changing clothes in there, hmmm?

That having been said, I don't come into anyone's camp uninvited the same as I would not come into their HOME and start poking around uninvited. It's common courtesy. I also have no problem, when the time comes, with nicely saying "Bro, could you excuse us for a moment? We've got to tend to some business". There's never been a problem, and we get in plenty of socializing.

I don't think that was included in our original license agreement.

That's why I have a Security Detail working for me.... Saves me from having to be packing...

In principle, no, I don't care if someone is hanging out watching what I do. My secrets aren't in the "what," it's in the "why." An unless they're asking a ton of questions in which case I might get suspicious, they're not gonna get to the why.

Also regarding the enclosed tent - here in California, many of our contests have had a People's Choice component for the past two years. Part of serving the public involves local Health Dept inspection, which requires an enclosed prep area to mitigate flies. The enclosure is more about that, or the weather, rather than "hiding" technique from our neighbors.

I bring products along that I don't actually use and put them out in high visibility spots. :evil:

I have never even worry about who is watching me, I don't have any secrets, we aren't that good (yet) and would rather enjoy the company, exchange stories while consuming our fav beverages. To me that is what competing is really about, instead of how does he make his brisket, or how do they trim ribs, or I gotta win this time. THe only time I will put up a side is when the wind is not in my favor.

However, if someone wakes me up again after the last turn-in (SAL, I hope you read this) when I'm trying to catch a cat-nap, there will be Hell to pay!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have never even worried about who is watching me, I don't have any secrets and would rather enjoy the company, exchange stories while consuming our fav beverages. To me that is what competing is really about, instead of how does he make his brisket, or how do they trim ribs, or I gotta win this time. THe only time I will put up a side is when the wind is not in my favor.

However, if someone wakes me up again after the last turn-in (SAL, I hope you read this) when I'm trying to catch a cat-nap, there will be Hell to pay!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

atleast I didnt draw on you with permanent marker!!:roll: (but there is always next time!!)

Back