MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Question Legal anywhere?

I have a pretty unique cooker -- it gets maybe 1/3 of it's heat from the firebox, and 2/3 from a propane burner 16" below the grill and shielded with a very thick plate. Here's a picture:

Question -- is there any competition category in which this might be legal? I'll blow away most other gassers (not literally -- it operates safely following the right protocol). This thing puts just as much smoke on the meat as most big stick burners I see, although maybe not as much as some of the vertical smokers. With a small firebox and just a 4" flue, I can only get the heat up to about 175 in the cook chamber with just smoke, though. That's with two chimneys of Kingsford Comp charcoal in the box and the oxygen wide open.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

SCBA (South Carolina BBQ Assoc) allows gas so you would be good there. KCBS doesn't so you'd have to disconnect the gas once the food is on the pit.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Off topic, but where in Jackson County do you live? I lived in Forest Hills and Cullowhee for a while. That's where I first got into BBQ, cooking whole hogs for Pig Pickins with my family.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldholler View Post
Question -- is there any competition category in which this might be legal?
It would be legal in North Carolina Pork Council competitions. Basically, any cooker with any fuel. Large enough too, as the NCPC is "whole hog" only, with "on the grill" judging.

Let me know if you would like further information on NCPC. I compete in NCPC competitions and am also a CBJ for NCPC.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cullowhee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Off topic, but where in Jackson County do you live? I lived in Forest Hills and Cullowhee for a while. That's where I first got into BBQ, cooking whole hogs for Pig Pickins with my family.

dmp
I live in Cullowhee. Lots of friends in Forest Hills. Starting this past August, just after I got the pit, I do an annual pig pickin called "Buring Pig Festival." It's mainly for my little boys -- kids need cool traditions growing up...

Did you study at WCU, or work there?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Default Thanks and yes -- I'd like more info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
It would be legal in North Carolina Pork Council competitions. Basically, any cooker with any fuel. Large enough too, as the NCPC is "whole hog" only, with "on the grill" judging.

Let me know if you would like further information on NCPC. I compete in NCPC competitions and am also a CBJ for NCPC.
I cooked a 140lb dressed hog in August, with just gas, before I added the firebox. It was a success -- took 17 hours at around 250. Itching to do it again with lots of smoke.

Here's my first attempt:

Old 11-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I live in Cullowhee. Lots of friends in Forest Hills. Starting this past August, just after I got the pit, I do an annual pig pickin called "Buring Pig Festival." It's mainly for my little boys -- kids need cool traditions growing up...
Very cool. Like I said, I remember many-a pig pickins up there, and they were always very fun. We always rented a large oil drum pit and cooked on that. I tried to do a pig pickin for my daughter's birthday party last year, and my wide was repulsed by the idea:( Next year it's on though:)

Quote:
Did you study at WCU, or work there?
Neither. My family lived and worked in the area, and I, being a kid, went where they did. I went to school at Camp Lab and went to summer camps at WCU and at Fairview Elementary. I remember when they built the Ramsey Center. I just got in touch with my best friend from the area a couple weeks ago. Coincidentally, a friend of mine from Memphis lives in Ashville and is about to get his graduate degree from WCU. Small world some times:)

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nope...not legal for comp meats here (PNWBA) unless you disconnect the propane.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Not legal for MIM, MBN.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up In the Whee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Neither. My family lived and worked in the area, and I, being a kid, went where they did. I went to school at Camp Lab and went to summer camps at WCU and at Fairview Elementary. I remember when they built the Ramsey Center. I just got in touch with my best friend from the area a couple weeks ago. Coincidentally, a friend of mine from Memphis lives in Ashville and is about to get his graduate degree from WCU. Small world some times:)
Cool! Small world indeed. Not many doing BBQ here, but Cullowhee Fire Department still does its huge annual butt roast with the 15' high pile of hickory logs burning into coals the day before...

Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Default I'm good!

If it's legal in NC, I'd be good! Best of both worlds going on, here. Lots of flavorful smoke yet steady, easy temp.

Mainly, I'm thinking about how much I'd get to learn at a comp. I might just go to one first, and soak up the scene without any responsibility.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

The next NCPC event will be in Newport NC. It is the largest whole hog competition in the country. They usually have about 80 teams. It will probably be the first weekend in April. Here is a link to the Newport contest. http://www.newportpigcooking.com/

This website will list the NCPC sanctioned events when they begin putting them out there for 2012.
http://www.ncpork.org/apps.ncpork.or...koff/index.jsp

Good Luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Not many doing BBQ here...
This begs the whole propane legal thing, but they've had KCBS competitions in Franklin (Where I also used to live), Johnson City (Where my father used to live), and Sevierville (where the Forest Hills family now lives) the past few years. They used to have a comp in Maggie Valley too, but I think it's done.

dmp

Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Not legal for MIM, MBN.
Not legal in GBA. I dont think FBA either.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

About NCPC:

The North Carolina Pork Council (NCPC) is the statewide advocacy organization that was chartered in 1962 to support producer and allied industry partners within the North Carolina pork industry. Today, the pork industry provides over 46,000 full time jobs and $9 billion to North Carolina’s economy. Representing 2,300 farms, NCPC is both a center of knowledge for pork producers and an advocate for professionalism and high social, ethical, and environmental standards in the pork industry. NCPC provides access to meaningful educational programs and services and leadership in public and industry affairs.

The North Carolina Pork Council’s objective for hosting and sanctioning barbecue contests is to increase public awareness of the pork industry within North Carolina, increase awareness of pork’s positive nutritional advantages, and to help local NC towns and communities generate funds for civic organizations or community relations.

The judges for the on-site competition are NCPC certified judges who score the pig based on criteria such as skin crispiness, brownness, and moisture. The judges go to each cook's site and, as the cook stands proudly by, scores the pig while still on the cooker.

Immediately after the cook is judged on-site, he has to create a blind taste sample of chopped barbecue blended with his secret recipe of spices or sauce. When he is satisfied with his sample, it is taken to the four blind taste judges. These judges focus on the texture and taste of the barbecue.

After the on-site judges and blind taste judges complete their scoring, the totals are tallied to determine the winner/contest champion.

This was from their website on competition.
I'll see if I can come up with any more information. Check out the website listed above.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->