Prototype Baby Backs, Thanks Mike

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Mike at Oakridge BBQ invited several of us to try an new prototype rub he is testing and give him some feedback. I've had really good luck with several of the Oakridge BBQ products so I was pretty pumped to try this new prototype rub. With Mike's encouragement, here is my experience. I'll go ahead a cut to the chase, Mike has a winner and hope we can order soon:becky:

Applied the rub to two racks of very meaty baby backs, probably about 3 pounds each and onto the 26.75 OGT in indirect mode using Stumps in a crescent shaped snake plus a little hickory.

2012-09-11094457_zps5213a625.jpg

2012-09-11094506_zps3df56ea9.jpg

Cooked them for 5 hours at 250*, no foil or BP wrap. In the final 1-1/2 hours I basted every half hour with some homemade jalapeno pepper jelly (I left about 1/2 rack with no basting so we could taste just the rub).

2012-09-11110555_zps99524e05.jpg

2012-09-11110841_zps1811a5f3.jpg

2012-09-11110854_zps56c19335.jpg

I asked everybody to try at least one of the ribs with just the rub only (no glaze). We really like the new rub, sweet with a good note of peppers. The bark was crisp and very thin, then a nice smoke ring and juicy bite through ribs, but not fallin-off-the-bone mushy. My wife is probably our most picky eater when it comes to seasonings and she really liked the pepper balanced with the sweetness. From an appearance standpoint, the rub seemed to develop its own shiny glaze in the last hour of cooking, equal to the shine of the jalapeno peppery jelly glaze. In the pictures above, the shot of the 1/2 rack sliced, the other 1/2 that is un-sliced is the portion WITHOUT any jalapeno pepper jelly glaze and just the rub put a nice shine on the ribs.

Buy the way, if you have never used pepper jelly you need to give it a try, very tasty. My wife makes our but it is readily available in a variety of flavors at texaspepperjelly.com.

If our experiment and Monday night dinner is an indication Oakridge BBQ is on track to have a great new rub, we will certainly use it again when it becomes available.

2012-09-11113314_zps39e1afe2.jpg

Thanks again Mike and thanks for watchin.

Wow, those ribs look good, nice smoke ring.

I am looking forward to purchasing the new rub as soon as it becomes available.

Thanks for sharing

that rub is tasty! I put it on some spares on Saturday and they were delish! No glaze, no sauce, no spritz...just the prototype.

that rub is tasty! I put it on some spares on Saturday and they were delish! No glaze, no sauce, no spritz...just the prototype.

Yea, should have mentioned we had our full compliment of BBQ sauces on the table and nobody even opened one, just the ribs hit the spot.

You're not leaving the table 'til you finish your corn, young man!!!

2012-09-11113314_zps39e1afe2.jpg

:heh: Carnage. It's what's for dinner! :thumb::thumb:

And there is one little fleck of coleslaw that I missed too:redface:

Last edited:
Love the color on those babies. Mike made a good move hooking you up. You can't buy advertising that looks that good. :thumb:

They sure do look good.

Thanks for the write up about the flavor, to me that's what matters and the Brethren are the ones to really tell it like it is.

Can't wait to be able to get this rub

Those ribs look great!

I used some on some chicken wings yesterday and it was great on them. I'm trying to find the time when I can get some ribs done. This time of year is crazy in our household.

Back