MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

Default WSM 18.5...REALLY Wish I'd Gone Bigger..

So I bought the WSM 18.5 a couple months ago after debating which size to get, asking the usual questions and picturing the various scenarios for its use. For our needs the 18.5 seemed fine, and it has been for the most part.

Fast forward to yesterday...it's the boy's birthday, and on the kids' birthday they can have whatever they want for their birthday dinner. The boy says he wants ribs, so ribs it is. We had some friends and family coming over so I prepared 3 racks of spares for everyone along with some smoked cheesy potatoes. It was painful and not ideal.

I have a rib rack so I used the top grate for the 3. Even with the rack I still had to bend a couple of the ribs to fit on the top. And when I got the color I wanted and foiled? Forget it. They wouldn't fit in the rack and I had to lean the three on one another while I cooked the potatoes on the bottom grate. Kind of aggravating, really.

The deciding factor for me in choosing the size was fuel usage. Yes, you will use more fuel with the 22.5, but getting a smaller ring would help for the smaller cooks, and the 400 pounds of Kingsford that I got on sale for $50 at HD during their big sale a bit ago makes it even easier to tolerate more fuel usage. In all, I really wish I would have gotten the bigger size. It would really save some agvravation and offer more choices for more tyoes of cooks.
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

They all have a purpose i think. I have a UDS which i love but it doesn't get used a whole lot. My mini gets used more because it's so darn handy and efficient. I also built a Jimmy (WSM 18 " mini) and that'll get used more than the UDS also.

They all have uses so it's nice to have multiple sizes. Build a UDS so you have the bigger capacity when you need it. Check out Big Poppa Drums...they are great and also sear/grill. Nothing wrong with multiple tools, nobody says you can only have one!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
gtr

Just look at it as a reason to buy more cookers.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Bludawg

Build UDS!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yup what they said. And this was proof to the wife that you do need more cookers

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

O-right more cookers. You can definitely build a UDS. But if you are like me, not having time and as well having two left feet and two left hands than you can always go do PBC route. You can hang 8 rack of ribs without a problem and you would hardly use any charcoal.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQDaddio View Post
O-right more cookers. You can definitely build a UDS. But if you are like me, not having time and as well having two left feet and two left hands than you can always go do PBC route. You can hang 8 rack of ribs without a problem and you would hardly use any charcoal.
Daddy if you can operate a drill that you could build a Big Poppa...takes zero skills

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, I've thought about a UDS. I've thought about selling the 18.5 and buying the 22.5. But with what it would cost to do that I could build the UDS...and it would give me something to do when winter pays its annual visit. I'd actually rather have one cooker than two just to keep things simple. Then again if I were REALLY about simple I wouldn't have a cooker at all and would just make everything in the microwave, I suppose. ;)

Old 10-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Smoking Bruin
Full Fledged Farker

I'm going thru the same thing. I'm going to sell my 18.5 and get a 22.5.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Well, you should have listened to ME. Whenever that ques. is asked here, I STRONGLY suggest the 22.5!

And just in case any lurkers are wondering which one to get, GET THE 22.5!!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
SmittyJonz

I am betting when you asked for advice most said get the 22.5". Eh?
Having two or more smokers is not complicated you just pick the one that suits ur needs for the that cook - go ahead and get started on that UDS and keep the WSM. In fact drill four sets of holes on each side of that WS M add rebar and turn it into PBC and hang ur ribs next time

Old 10-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
16Adams

Default 10+ Cookers at a MINIMUM

Keep the 18.5 (I sold two when I bought my Pit Barrel Cooker). To me 30 gallon is perfect size. No drill skill needed. Just contact the folks and three days later I was barrel cooking.

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:42 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I am betting when you asked for advice most said get the 22.5". Eh?...
Nah. I actually didn't ask which one to get. I researched all the threads and found all the reasons people pick one over the other and decided which ones applied to me given my mission. 90% of the time the 18.5 is great. A 50% increase in cost for only 10% of my cooks didn't seem worth it to me at the time. Now I'm rethinking it.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Daddy if you can operate a drill that you could build a Big Poppa...takes zero skills
Does that mean I have to go look for a Drum now.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
16Adams

Default Multiple Cookers

Regardless of what you decide, not very many folks around here will rag on anyone for having a backyard filled up with cooking weapons.

Let's try your post a different way.

"I have an 18.5 and now I want to add a 22.5". All kinds of love and support would have flown your way. In fact it makes perfect sense. Go for it.

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:42 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote