MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #121
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Yep. I don't think I've ever had mace in my spice cabinet before. It's like a combination of clove and orange peel. Quite intriguing, and definitely will be used again!!!
I found out by accident that it boosted the flavor of my BBQ sauce. 2 of us were cooking in my kitchen one day and Connie sat the Mace next to the spice I was about to use and without looking I added Mace to my sauce, I ran with it and now it is always added to my BBQ sauce.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #122
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
G'Day Bruces'

Well, I finally pulled my finger out and got my entry ready.

Pubs in Australia are a great tradition. In fact, there are a lot places that are names as towns on the map, that are nothing but a Pub and a Church!

Firstly, I took a menu from a local Melbourne Pub, the Terminus in Abbotsford. I chose this hotel, because its one of the oldest in Melbourne and Abbotsford is the origin of our Carlton and United Breweries, which manufacture (amongst other decent beers) Farkin' Fosters Lager... which is Australian for "Swill".

Anyway, I digress... but first, log on here to get a feel for our Aussie Beer Drinking customs...

So, on the menu, I saw one thing that stood out... the "Termi Steak Sandwich"

So, I thought I would make a Termi Steak Sandwich, but meld it with time honoured low and slow USA BBQ cooking techniques...

So here goes:

First, I rubbed some chuck with Dizzy Pig Red eye Express... and fridged it overnight...

I also decided to make my own bread for this one...

In the afternoon, I firstly seared the chuckies for some lovely colour...

Then I warmed up some beef stock and onions..

And then set the temp to 250 and cooked indirect for a lot of hours with lump and some peach wood sticks

A lot later....

The sliced up some of my home smoked canadian bacon, and fried up some eggs...

Looking GOOOD! The idea for replacing a porterhouse cut, with a cut of chuck, was to make a steak sandwich that was just totally tender and "bite through" That's something you just don't get with a steak sammich in Australia...

THIS was tender!

Here's some I pulled, just to show how tender... love the colour!

Oh, and here's a bit more Slim Dusty.

Ingredients ready!

This one was for Suzanne...

And this one for me!

A nice stack!

And finally, I had this with an Abbotsford Invalid Stout, names after the suburb in Melbourne where it was first produced!

As for the Termi Steak Sandwitch itself... I think if I served this to to an Aussie, they'd be bloody amazed. The flavour of the beef with the Dizzy pig was really powerful, and the tenderness is something that you just don't get out of a regular grilled steak at all! I need to work on the bread a bit, but it was fun.

Hope you guys like it... a bit of Australia with a low and slow touch... REAL Pub Food!

Chris... not sure which pic to use for the TD... can you pick from the last 2 please!

Cheers!

Bill
looks tasty
HOG WILD BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Coiled Snags, NO MARMITE, NO VEGEMITE, pickled platypus, Pint of throwdown!, Shark and Chips, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread