MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Default Raw smoked pork picnic shoulder..

I'm thinking of picking one of these up for Easter dinner at the local supermarket. I know nothing about them other than years ago when my mother made one it was out of this world. Raw and smoked seems to be an oxymoron to me. The fine print on the label says it is cured. Cooking instructions state something to the tune of cooking it in the oven covered with foil at 350 for about 20-25 minutes per pound until an internal temp of ? I forgot.

Can I do this on my Performer? And how? Tips, tricks, suggestions, etc. Talk to me.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it's a picnic, then it's just the shank portion of the shoulder, or adjacent to the butt, so you're typically looking at pulled pork.

If the package says it's cured, though, it sounds more like a ham cut....like maybe the picnic (shank) portion of a ham, or back leg? Does the package also say "smoked"? Most hams do.

Either way....if it is indeed a cured piece of meat, then I'd follow the directions (which a higher temp of 325-350 are normal for ham) and go for an internal temperature of 155-160.

Make a glaze and put the glaze on for the last 1/2 hour and let carmelize.

THIS is a great recipe for a double smoked ham (double smoked meaning it's already been smoked and you're gonna smoke it again to reheat it).

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

It says smoked and cured on the package. It is bone in. Is it worth doing on the grill or should I just do it in the oven? Or maybe I'd be better off picking something else?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Thats a ham. Never really seen em packaged like that before. Get something raw and uncured.

Anyways, the raw and smoked means it was cold smoked, so the food takes on the smoke, but doesnt cook.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Yup it's basically a ham. I'm from the Boston area and those are what my mother and father used to buy because they were cheaper than an actual ham.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churrasqueiro Bob View Post
It says smoked and cured on the package. It is bone in. Is it worth doing on the grill or should I just do it in the oven? Or maybe I'd be better off picking something else?
IMO yes! I like the extra smoky flavor you can get. I use hickory chunks for ham when I do them on the smoker. You can do the same on the grill.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
jestridge

treat them like a smoke ham, some are kinda salty
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churrasqueiro Bob View Post
Is it worth doing outside? ABSOLUTELY.

After all....brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chops, heck....even steaks can be done inside on the cooktop or oven, but is it WORTH doing any of them out on the grill or smoker? You betcha!!

Try that mustard & whiskey glazed ham recipe. Easy and delicious.

I've also done the Apricot & Mustard glazed recipe from there. Also good....just a bit more work and not quite as good as the first one I don't think.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

I took a closer look at the labeling and it said 23% of the weight was from additives. I think I'll do something else.