Price on used 500 gal offset smoker

That's more than I'd pay, especially without knowing more about the builder. Whether or not that's "high" I dunno.

I'd ask him why you should pay him $4500 vs going with a well known name brand (Lang or others) for less. Let's see what his response is.

It seems to be modeled after the Franklin/Moberg Texas style traditional offsets...and priced nearly as much. No way I'd pay that to an unproven builder.

Just an observation I have made from Craig's list is that people tend to list things for "Brand new" prices and leave it posted for a long time to see if anyone bites. There is no cost to make a listing so I think they try to get the most money from someone who doesn't know any better.

It seems to be modeled after the Franklin/Moberg Texas style traditional offsets...and priced nearly as much.

Yes, I agree, the grate-level exhaust is a good indicator.

If a new Lang is $4000, I would say that one is worth $1500 to $2000. Anything that is custom built has poor resale value if that is a consideration.

Chris

I would want something that big on a trailer personally. In a restaurant, not needed though.

You can build a new one from a lesser-known fabricator for less money. The only other factor is transportation costs.

The firebox looks pretty small for a 500 gallon tank. I would never spend $4,500 on a backyard builder with no feedback or reputation.

Back