MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
bmikiten
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Question for Experienced Judges - Premade Sauce and Rub

You are judging the finals of a local event and notice that a few of the boxes are using a sauce and/or rub that is pre-made with a distinctive flavor you recognized from years of cooking. Do you judge it down or (as the rules say) judge it on the standard criteria on a stand-alone basis ignoring the fact that the contestant didn't do anything special.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

As long as the sauce enhances the flavor of the meat and doesn't overpower it, I don't care if it is straight out of a bottle or scratch made.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

I would think in a scenario like that, the scores would be more favorable.
You are presenting a flavor that the judge they are connected to/famaliar with.
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

I don't care where the sauce or rub come from. I judge purely on taste as should everyone else. I think preparing, cooking and presenting a perfect box of BBQ is special no matter where the sauce and rub came from.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Why would you even think of judging it down because the cook used a "commercial" rub and sauce? That's the kind of judging bs that really pisses off cooks.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

I judge each sample on it's own merit. This past weekend I judged at Hog Happnin. The first 3 chicken entries tasted like they all used the same rubs and sauces. The good news was, I liked the flavor and gave all of them high scores for taste. There is nothing at all wrong with using commercial rubs and sauces, there are some really good ones out there.

The preceding reply is my personal opinion which, I'm sure, will differ from some.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I am a cook and a judge. Familiar flavors do seem to bump up the numbers a bit. I do not use straight up commercial sauces, but find that the popular ones in a given area make a good base to doctor up.

I would not judge up or down just because I think I recognize a particular brand of sauce or rub. Judge as presented is the way to go. If it is good, high numbers. If it is not so good, lower numbers.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I think this question seems to be "If you taste blues hog, do you score up or down?"
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I think this question seems to be "If you taste blues hog, do you score up or down?"
IMHO, BH overpowers the flavor of any meat it is slathered on!
Some judges like it because they taste something other than the meat, but that is exactly why I don't particularly like it as I can no longer taste the meat.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

If that be the case, then hmmmm. Judged a comp in Maine 2 summers ago and all of the chicken entries looked and tasted the same. Tenderness and appearance, layout in the box, were variables, but on taste they all got the same score. Don't remember the exact number, but it was above a 7 and below a 9
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Around here if you don't use BH you are taking a big gamble. I make a pretty good sauce but it is not a good competition sauce if that makes sense.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
IMHO, BH overpowers the flavor of any meat it is slathered on!
Some judges like it because they taste something other than the meat, but that is exactly why I don't particularly like it as I can no longer taste the meat.
I agree. I use BH but it has to be put on lightly or cut with another sauce.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
little bit of r & r
Knows what a fatty is.

I must be odd never used blues hog in comps because I really just don't like it we still score decent. I know everyone says cook for the judges but I feel it bh makes it more of a sauce contest instead of a meat contest
little bit of r & r is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

I think there are some judges that score based more on the flavor of the sauce than the flavor of the meat. Myself I like less sauce so I can taste the meat, but I don't score down unless the sauce does not compliment the meat. Many entries these days have more sauce flavor than meat flavor. A lot of sauces taste good, but I like meat! NTTAWWT.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #15
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I judge the meat as presented, just like KCBS says to. Home made sauce? Blues Hawg? Doesn't matter to me.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.