So how tired of comps am I really getting?

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to taking a break from comps this summer... do a little traveling... fishing, breaking out the stored camping gear and spending some time at the lake. OK so this weekend, we go to Stockton Lake with about ten other couples and a lot of kids and what happens? We pull the smoker along and cook chicken, pork, brisket, beans, etc. for everyone for Saturday night dinner. And what's more, our camp site looked EXACTLY like our contest sites do. :roll:

Guess I need to re-think this take a break from contests thing because apparently, I can't even go away for a weekend trip to the lake without setting up a comp camp. :lol:

Maybe your comp site looks just like your camping site!

I've been looking forward to taking a break from comps this summer... do a little traveling... fishing, breaking out the stored camping gear and spending some time at the lake. OK so this weekend, we go to Stockton Lake with about ten other couples and a lot of kids and what happens? We pull the smoker along and cook chicken, pork, brisket, beans, etc. for everyone for Saturday night dinner. And what's more, our camp site looked EXACTLY like our contest sites do. :roll:

Guess I need to re-think this take a break from contests thing because apparently, I can't even go away for a weekend trip to the lake without setting up a comp camp. :lol:
But was it more enjoyable than a comp? When i stopped competing i didn't stop smoking.

I wanted to cook bad this weekend, but my stuff is in the trailer in Des Moines. So thanks to Randy and Jeff of R Butts R Smokin, I went and joined them for a chicken practice this morning. And I learned a new trick that I hope will help keep chicken moist.

But was it more enjoyable than a comp? When i stopped competing i didn't stop smoking.

Honestly, I was looking forward to hearing the great comments that came during and after dinner but I don't know if it was more enjoyable. Everyone was quiet and sleeping by around 11 pm. None of them could have hung at a contest! Until you've stayed up all night drinking with Wayne, you haven't lived. :lol:

I wanted to cook bad this weekend, but my stuff is in the trailer in Des Moines. So thanks to Randy and Jeff of R Butts R Smokin, I went and joined them for a chicken practice this morning. And I learned a new trick that I hope will help keep chicken moist.

Is the secret for sharing ?

I promise I won't tell !!

Made it look like a comp site huh, you didn't have the travel trailer did ya.:biggrin: and I bet you wish you did. Can't stop cooking now (practice, practice, practice) and yes the hardware made it home safe.

Jeff you know it is all good, cooking is cooking, Just think no entry fee!

Oh and you don't feel bad when you don't get a ribbon.

Jeff I was wanting to take a small break during the heat of summer. But guess what I went out and bought a trash can from Snail and now i have been practicing all weekend with my new toy. Oncec the smoke gets in the blood you can't help yourself.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff you know it is all good, cooking is cooking, Just think no entry fee!

Oh and you don't feel bad when you don't get a ribbon.

First in every catagory, as I see it! :cool:

The camping and the cooking part is the fun stuff.....it's the set up, clean up and tear down I don't miss.....

The real question is if you shaved your chicken or not. If you brought your pink razor for something other than your legs, then you need to get back into the comp circuit.

Honestly, I was looking forward to hearing the great comments that came during and after dinner but I don't know if it was more enjoyable. Everyone was quiet and sleeping by around 11 pm. None of them could have hung at a contest! Until you've stayed up all night drinking with Wayne, you haven't lived. :lol:

So aparently you've never lived?:rolleyes:

We've seen what happens when you try to make it all night :twisted:

So aparently you've never lived?:rolleyes:

We've seen what happens when you try to make it all night :twisted:

Hey I made it ONCE! Well, once voluntarily anyway. That was Blue Springs in 2006 when Wayne and I went over to visit one of his female co-workers who had entered the contest. Their team got in some big ass fight and ended up knocking over a rack in their Bandera and spilled their pork butts into the water pan. Wasn't pretty! Actually, Wayne ended up TRYING to go to bed that night around 5 or 6am but that chick kept coming over to wake him up. It was farking hilarious!

My involuntary times were twice... last year at Atchison and Garden City. A bunch of idiot farkers kept me awake all night breaking quiet hours.

Better have a stool handy.

Survey says..... DING DING DING!!!!!

Hey I made it ONCE! Well, once voluntarily anyway. That was Blue Springs in 2006 when Wayne and I went over to visit one of his female co-workers who had entered the contest. Their team got in some big ass fight and ended up knocking over a rack in their Bandera and spilled their pork butts into the water pan. Wasn't pretty! Actually, Wayne ended up TRYING to go to bed that night around 5 or 6am but that chick kept coming over to wake him up. It was farking hilarious!

My involuntary times were twice... last year at Atchison and Garden City. A bunch of idiot farkers kept me awake all night breaking quiet hours.

yea, yea.... I remember atchison. They didnt both me :) But I kept hearing Damnit Andy all over the place....

Back