MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #31
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do have to say, at least in my experience out here, any time I have setup a cook, and there have been lots of folks, or it was in a commercial area, I have had health dept. roll up and ask if we were legal. At least from my point of view, the HD has been on the money for taking the large bulk of fly-by-nights off the street. Sure, they may still cater, but, not much you can do about that.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #32
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

I can see everyone's perspective I guess. My only suggestion maybe is to put the vending and catering in it's own separate forum and cooking for the masses in another separate one. That way if uncle joe is cooking for 100 people for fourth of july he has somewhere to go and the people that need business help have another place to go. Just brainstorming.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #33
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Something else about using the search to get answers.. Our forum goes back 11 years..2 million posts... thats alot of answers... and more importantly, times have changed and some answers from 2005 may not apply today, or there just may be a better way now.
Yeah, I've been a paying member here for years and know the forums well. I have tried the search thing for the very reasons mentioned and after having waded through pages of search results I've often thought, "Oh fark it, I'll just ask."

As many have already said, this place is where it all started for me. I came here to figure out how to modify an ECB and that was it. The fuse was lit. I was one of the guys posting "HELP! My first brisket!" and "How much pork for 80 people?" and "How can I hold pork for 6 hours?". I got help specifically BECAUSE this place is what it is.

I get what the OP is saying, too, but I also have a hard time believing that every single person out there who runs a legit BBQ restaurant, vending or catering biz dropped tens of thousands of dollars before ever selling their first pound of pork. I think people tend to forget where they came from once they're fully invested. People have to start somewhere. People are GOING to start somewhere. I, for one, am just glad that this place exists to offer people some awesome guidance.

Another thing to consider: if your Q and service is good, your business will surpass your competition, even if you lose out once in a while to "Fred BBQ".
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeo719 View Post
I can see everyone's perspective I guess. My only suggestion maybe is to put the vending and catering in it's own separate forum and cooking for the masses in another separate one. That way if uncle joe is cooking for 100 people for fourth of july he has somewhere to go and the people that need business help have another place to go. Just brainstorming.
Dadeo,

I was thinking the very same thing. A "Business" designation could possibly funnel those who are "already legal" away from those who aren't aware that they need to be? Maybe call it "The Business of BBQ: Vending & Catering". Just adding my brainstorming.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #35
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Default Why I love this forum

I just spent money on a lawyer to ensure my rights to "White Plate BBQ". Now I have to ask him to throw in "Fred's BBQ" as a freebie just because it will now have huge hits on Google. Do you know how much sway this site has with Google?

Now if a person wanted to shamefully increase their exposure to search engines... they might reply to a related post with with the name of what they wanted to market. Mentioning the name of the search engine does not hurt either.

Personally, I see the Brethren as an altruistic entity that let's you be a little selfish once in a while, but knows you'll pay it forward when someone needs it.

Fred (now of Fred's BBQ)
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #36
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
Dadeo,

I was thinking the very same thing. A "Business" designation could possibly funnel those who are "already legal" away from those who aren't aware that they need to be? Maybe call it "The Business of BBQ: Vending & Catering". Just adding my brainstorming.
I occasionally participate on a mechanical trades blog. Similar issues as HO's are always trying to get info, beat down contractor's price, etc. They have 2 levels of membership. Anyone can access a limited number of threads. Once you prove your a tech, contractor, business owner, there's access to the entire board. Just offering another point of view.
acguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #37
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Now granted I fall under the category of "cooking for the masses" more often than not but I truly appreciate all the help I get here. This site is usually the first site I look at when I log on and the last before bed. I do however use temporary permits when we occasionally do vending so I am aware of those laws only because of you guys. I have no idea how hard it would be to make another category or if that is even in the spirit of the Brethren to do that.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #38
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

The Catering page helped me three years ago when I wanted to cook for my best friends bachelor party.
If I had not done that(sought advise on this forum;cooked some wings, abt's, and pulled pork that weekend), I would have never heard one of our friends say, "Moe, you need to be selling this."
And that was the spark. Now catering for two years, I still ask questions and try to answer questions on the Catering page.
But the point is, it all started when I was not licensed, not certified, not cooking in a commercial kitchen. i.e. Cooking for the masses.
If this page helps another man or woman follow a similar path, or even help another person avoid a path they aren't fit for, the page is doing it's job.

The natural progression of the BBQ caterer starts with those off-hand gigs like a buddies bachelor party, or your own family reunion.
Love this page.
Early Morn has been immensely helpful in answering some of my questions and I can understand the frustration. He's a pro.