Have you built a "standard" UDS yet? If not I highly suggest you start with a simple build. Score yourself a Weber lid and you can have at least two racks that will hold a ton of meat. If you build a big enough charcoal basket you will not need to access it during any cook. Some people report their UDS running over 24 hours. As far as the water pan (I do not use one) but many people just use an empty pan filled with sand or a clay dish as a diffuser. In Illinois you should not have a real problem with lack of humidity.

Have you built a "standard" UDS yet? If not I highly suggest you start with a simple build. Score yourself a Weber lid and you can have at least two racks that will hold a ton of meat. If you build a big enough charcoal basket you will not need to access it during any cook. Some people report their UDS running over 24 hours. As far as the water pan (I do not use one) but many people just use an empty pan filled with sand or a clay dish as a diffuser. In Illinois you should not have a real problem with lack of humidity.

I have a few lids :-D

I have a few lids :-D

Heh, yeah, I missed that. Be aware though that you may have to flatten and form the lip of the lid around the lip of the drum as many times it is not a perfect fit.

X2.. jgdad, it's neat your thinking ahead, nttawwt, but you could build two or three simple drums that will probably save you alot of headaches, and money..
This tread is all about keeping it simple! Good luck with you build!! Post pics when your done. We all learn new ways to do things here!!

It's fun to see what folk tinker with and try to make better. Some very good ideas and some not so much. I would agree that the first UDS should be the most basic build and not try to outsmart simplicity. My first one worked so well, I haven't changed a thing on the other 10 or so I have build. The simple build works as advertised.....awsome!

X2.. jgdad, it's neat your thinking ahead, nttawwt, but you could build two or three simple drums that will probably save you alot of headaches, and money..
This tread is all about keeping it simple! Good luck with you build!! Post pics when your done. We all learn new ways to do things here!!

I truly appreciate all the feedback.:-D My reason for stacking is that should allow me to cook on 6 racks with one fire. I hope that by discussing my plans here the weakness can be found and improved upon. :cool:

Time to add some color to this thread. :-D Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. I really learned a lot and am a happy smoker.

The Purple Pig Smoker.
VID00028.jpg

Firebox from the cheepo Lowe's grill
VID00025.jpg

Note to self, don't put the wheels on until AFTER the hot burn. :doh:
VID00030.jpg

Innards after first cook and seasoning
VID00032.jpg

Poultry proof
VID00029.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

Hello, thanks and a few questions

Greetings all. This is a great site and thanks to all who contributed to this helpful thread. I just picked up a drum and everything I need to build my UDS, but I have a few questions that I did not see specficially answered here.

I bought a reconditioned drum from a barrel company. I don't know what was in it but the seller said all their drums are sent out to be burned and repainted. Mine is "unlined" but seems to have a thin, dark grey coating on the inside that's rough to the touch. You can almost see metal through it. Could it be rust inhibitor and is it dangerous?

Also, I saw a "no weld" method for air intakes that uses pipe nipples and conduit nuts to secure them, but the nuts are zinc coated. Will three, thin conduit nuts at the inside bottom of the drum be a health hazard?

I planning to do a burnout of my barrel this weekend but will try to post some pics of it here before I do. Also thinking of getting it sandblasted after the burn.

Thanks again.

Jim

Here is something similar to what I was tinking off building.

superdeluxesmoker017-1.jpg

Another shot

superdeluxesmoker013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings all. This is a great site and thanks to all who contributed to this helpful thread. I just picked up a drum and everything I need to build my UDS, but I have a few questions that I did not see specficially answered here.

I bought a reconditioned drum from a barrel company. I don't know what was in it but the seller said all their drums are sent out to be burned and repainted. Mine is "unlined" but seems to have a thin, dark grey coating on the inside that's rough to the touch. You can almost see metal through it. Could it be rust inhibitor and is it dangerous?
Not sure without seeing a pic and sorry can't help ya with that one.
Also, I saw a "no weld" method for air intakes that uses pipe nipples and conduit nuts to secure them, but the nuts are zinc coated. Will three, thin conduit nuts at the inside bottom of the drum be a health hazard? Doubtful since the area that they are in won't get that hot.

I planning to do a burnout of my barrel this weekend but will try to post some pics of it here before I do. Also thinking of getting it sandblasted after the burn.

Thanks again.

Jim

Hope it helps and good luck!

That looks like a might small pig. Yet it had wings go I guess pigs can fly.

It was a bugger to catch and I'll be damned if it didn't taste just like chicken.

Here is something similar to what I was tinking off building.

superdeluxesmoker017-1.jpg

Another shot

superdeluxesmoker013.jpg

Definitely a cool idea but I fear you will run into more problems than its worth. Aside from the obvious air leak issues you will be fighting I really worry about temps. There are 6 racks in this thing and if you fill them all with meat it will reall cause issues. If your fire is pumping out a temp of 250 hitting the bottom rack full of food then the temp will decrease drastically for every rack thereafter. Top racks will be well below 200 I fear. And, you had mentioned pull-out racks but I do not see how these would pull out with meat on them.

Definitely a cool idea but I fear you will run into more problems than its worth. Aside from the obvious air leak issues you will be fighting I really worry about temps. There are 6 racks in this thing and if you fill them all with meat it will reall cause issues. If your fire is pumping out a temp of 250 hitting the bottom rack full of food then the temp will decrease drastically for every rack thereafter. Top racks will be well below 200 I fear. And, you had mentioned pull-out racks but I do not see how these would pull out with meat on them.

I agree will all those issues.

Leaks - by sealing the door openings with silcone and weather stripping.

Temp - proper air flow

Pull out racks - some sort of internal frame of channel and expanded metal.

I would not worry about the zinc conduit nuts. The whole drum serves as a heat sink - it just does not get that hot. Honestly if the paint is not pealing, would zinc melt (the only time we get it hot enough to peal paint is in a very deliberate burn out)?
---
As for the extra barrel on top. I stuff sausage occasionally (which included 4-6 hours of smoking). I have considered putting a wooden smoker on top of my drum for just such a special occasion. For me the advantage would be I could make it square - which would be a lot easier for hanging sausage (traditionally you load the sausage on a rod, and put the rods in the smokehouse). A 2x2x2 box on top could easily accommodate over 100lbs of sausage (probably about 150 - and that is still leaving a LOT of convection room). I have also considered just making smoker drawers. I would make a base, lid and drawers. Put the base down, then drawer 1, and top with the lid. When it is time to put on drawer two - lift the lid, drop in the drawer, and put the lid on top. If necessarily the stack could go up several more layers.

Also, I saw a "no weld" method for air intakes that uses pipe nipples and conduit nuts to secure them, but the nuts are zinc coated. Will three, thin conduit nuts at the inside bottom of the drum be a health hazard?

Thanks again.

Jim
I used the "no weld" method with pipe nipples and conduit nuts, and I was also concerned about the zinc coating on the conduit nuts. My solution was to burn the thin layer of zinc off the conduit nuts with a torch. I've done several burns and haven't had any problems.

Well, i made some modifications to my UDS. I added the cheap-o BigLots kettle to my UDS. At this time i'm only using the top cover as it will be enough for my needs, i still have the bottom half of the kettle to be used on my 2nd UDS (whenever i build it).

The kettle lid sits flush enough on my drum, if there is any big issues with the lid, i'm planning to use those large binder clips to seal it - i don't really forsee any issues there. THe lip of the kettle lid was flattened then hammered while sitting on the drum to make it fit. I may need some more work on it to make it a better fit (as you will see on my pictures)

The other mod i did is, i added 'feet' to my grates and removed the bolts where my top shelf used to seat on my drum. So, at this point i'm only using the bolts that i originally put 25in from the bottom of the drum. This mod allows me to easily extract the grates loaded with food without having to tilt and sit them on the floor or table and, if needed, change the placement of the grates in the drum.

mod maiden smoke will be tonight - we'll see how it handles

See pictures here,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54510022@N04/5080518087/in/set-72157625037423797/

thanks for looking,

brunski

Last edited by a moderator:
Back