MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Frisco_Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Knife Sharpening?

I saw the nice thread on the different brands of knives and all those suggestions. My question to everyone is this. How do you sharpen your knives? I ask because I've got a set of Henkel 4 stars but they are useless because they are dull. The set came with some sort of sharpener rod, but I can't seem to get them very sharp with it. They are about 5 years old so probably need a lot of work.

Suggestions please?
[B][COLOR=darkred]Gig'em Aggies!
[/COLOR][/B]
Frisco_Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

The Lansky knife sharpening system is the best! Easy to use and very effective.

http://www.lansky.com

This is the basic set up.

http://www.lansky.com/products/systems/standard.html

ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Several guys, including myself, take ours to a professional one a year for sharpening, and then just hone them with a steel or a ceramic rod or similar at home. I pay $3.00/knife for professional sharpening and then simply use the steel to hone the edge before I use a knife.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default You will need to trade-off 'easy' and 'sharp' to make ...

... your own decision. If you ever lose the bevel or damage the edge on your knife, one of the only ways to get it back is with sharpening stones. The you get into choices of grit ( balancing ease of repairing or establishing bevel and smoothness of your finished edge). Some feel like you can get by nicely with a Hard Arkansas stone followed by a Fine India stone. Getting good results is simply a matter of practice and consistency in holding the angle you choose for the knife being sharpened. I post this link soley to provide some ideas and also because I have found them helpful in answering my questions on their toll-free number.
http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/norton.htm

I hope this helps you choose what will work best for you.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

One of these days I'm going to take a knife class. I would like to learn how to use one properly (like on the cooking shows), but also the technical aspects including sharpening. I realize that it is not rocket science, but I do like to do things the right way.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
gjabo178
Got rid of the matchlight.

I would refrain from using a sharpening stone.
Getting it professional done is really worth it.
gjabo178 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA
The Lansky knife sharpening system is the best! Easy to use and very effective.

http://www.lansky.com

This is the basic set up.

http://www.lansky.com/products/systems/standard.html

I send mine out to be sharpened as needed and then use the steel as after each use.

My brother used the Lansky system on them once and they came out razor sharp.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default .... if you have reasonable access to someone who ....

..... can do it properly. In my small town, I have not been able to identify anyone I would trust with my cutlery. Especially my single-bevel or damascus style Japanese knives. For those who can easily have them done professionally, at costs mentioned here, I would jump at the chance. It is also a frustrating issue to consider spending amounts for the sharpening tools which can approach (or exceed) the cost of the knives themselves.

.... then you can get into the endless discussion of oil stones versus water stones and that almost goes to another Forum ... my problem is that I enjoy all these new activities now that I have the time to pursue many of them. The $$$$ is another problem.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
LeeBo
On the road to being a farker

The AccuSharp is sold at grocery stores, WalMart, Ace, etc. for around $5 to $8. It's great for a quick sharpen on a cheap knife.

However, it grinds the blade which means a shorter life. In fact, I think it re-sets the blade. Afficianodo's don't like them but for a cheap, quick fix they're OK, with a trade off.

I think the other sharpeners are probably better but these are at least worth trying before sending a knife to the trash can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coverwithtext2_r3_c1.jpg (6.4 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by LeeBo; 06-07-2006 at 06:31 PM..
LeeBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Something with a narrow edge, like a chisel for example, I can sharpen well beyond what's required to shave with. Knives on the other hand are more difficult due to the length of the edge.

The key things are maintaining the proper sharpening angle, and using gradually finer grits of sharpening media to achieve a keen edge.

Very few of us have the proper tools for doing this. I highly recommend having something as pricey as a set of Henkel's professionally sharpened by someone who has the proper tools for the job.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Something with a narrow edge, like a chisel for example, I can sharpen well beyond what's required to shave with. Knives on the other hand are more difficult due to the length of the edge.

The key things are maintaining the proper sharpening angle, and using gradually finer grits of sharpening media to achieve a keen edge.

Very few of us have the proper tools for doing this. I highly recommend having something as pricey as a set of Henkel's professionally sharpened by someone who has the proper tools for the job.
What he said. I don't have the time, or patience to do a set. I can give the knives up for a day or two at $3 per blade once a year. Money well spent when I think about how well they work for the rest of the year, and the time and aggravation saved.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #12
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBo
The AccuSharp is sold at grocery stores, WalMart, Ace, etc. for around $5 to $8. It's great for a quick sharpen on a cheap knife.

However, it grinds the blade which means a shorter life. In fact, I think it re-sets the blade. Afficianodo's don't like them but for a cheap, quick fix they're OK, with a trade off.

I think the other sharpeners are probably better but these are at least worth trying before sending a knife to the trash can.
They work great if you have a blade that's badly pitted and knicked. I bought one years ago and wound up using it to restore the blade on an old Wilkerson Bayonet that I bought for my old Enfield Rifle. It was badly dingged and looked like it had been used in ever conflict against the Germans since the Kiasor was in power. It took awhile but I finally shaved enough metal down that it rebuilt the blades edge and by the time I finished with it in conjunction with the stones, I could shave with it. I even did use it to take off my mustach once just to show a friend how sharp a 100 year old blade could be. Needless to say, he was impressed.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #13
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Holy mackerel, I usta use a file to sharpen my knives. Now I use the bottom of a flowerpot, seems to work well.
Mike
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2006, 02:55 AM   #14
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

As my knives have a different bevel on each side I use a Mino Ceramic Knife Sharpener. Simple and I don't screw them up!!!

It's very simple to use, its just a well of water with two grades of ceramic sharpeners that you draw the knife through about 6-8 times.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:07 AM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

i WOULD ENJOY One of these classes
http://www.iceculinary.com/recreatio...e_skills.shtml
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote