MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
rugbyguytx
Got Wood.

Default Lookin for thoughts

Ok so being somewhat new to the scene, I have been trying so many different rubs and mops that I think the girlfriend is actually getting tired of beef (watch it!) and the neighbors have given up hope of opening the windows at all during the weekends thanks to the smoke :)
I have been working on a rub and love the taste (i can eat it by the spoonful) but you can't taste it after the brisket is done. I really love it added to the brisket after the cooking is done... but that seems a bit like cheating so here is my question.. how the heck can I get all that flavor IN the beef?
The rub uses brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, salt, some coffee and some black pepper.
rugbyguytx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

How about taking your rub and infusing a beef broth with it and injecting. Or put more rub on the outside.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Norcoredneck

Do you do a slather of some sort?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
How about taking your rub and infusing a beef broth with it and injecting. Or put more rub on the outside.
Make sure you disolve as much as possible and grind the pepper fine and use a large bore needle.

Have you tried the beef without any rub? You may be tasting it, but when mixed with the flavor of the beef it has taken on a new flavor profile. Next time do a comparison. Two briskets one rubed and one not. Go for a third and do the injection. Then invite all of your neighbors over for dinner
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
Make sure you disolve as much as possible and grind the pepper fine and use a large bore needle.

Have you tried the beef without any rub? You may be tasting it, but when mixed with the flavor of the beef it has taken on a new flavor profile. Next time do a comparison. Two briskets one rubed and one not. Go for a third and do the injection. Then invite all of your neighbors over for dinner
I agree... Are you foiling the brisket? If so, add some of the rub to apple juice and put about 3/4 cup in the foil with the meat... This might kick it over the edge for ya...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
rugbyguytx
Got Wood.

Default got me thinking

Well I have never injected brisket but I will have to try....

I do slather with mustard before I add the rub and pat it down on the brisket. As for foiling.. I did foil this last time... and that is a good point.. I didn't like how the crust got moist.. I am a big fan of a nice crisp crust so I may add the rub into the foil next time and see what happens.

How long do you all usually leave the brisket in the foil?

Also for the injection what kind of consistency should I be looking for? Think or real thin?

KS
rugbyguytx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 03:22 AM   #7
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyguytx View Post
Ok so being somewhat new to the scene, I have been trying so many different rubs and mops that I think the girlfriend is actually getting tired of beef (watch it!) and the neighbors have given up hope of opening the windows at all during the weekends thanks to the smoke :)
Put it on Pork! Problem solved .

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
lwest99
On the road to being a farker

I also think injection is the way to go. I like the Fab products (search for Fab B you will get more info than you want). I think Dr BBQ also has a pretty good Brisket injection. I also agree to work on a mop (with rub) when you wrap in foil.
:icon_cool
lwest99 is offline   Reply With Quote