MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #16
Smoking Piney
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Assassin 24 owner here. It's been an awesome cooker in my 4 years of owning it.

No complaints.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #17
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

You've done a nice job shortlisting your cookers. I don't think that you could go wrong with what you have listed. I have an Assassin 28. I love the thing and wished that I would have got it years ago. Now, the kids are older, and I feed fewer mouths. I still like to fire it up because it makes some great bbq.

Good luck, and if you have any questions regarding the assassin, I'll try to answer!
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #18
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by croman126 View Post
Very helpful to see side by side. While price isnt my main deciding factor, it definitely plays a role.

How is the build (welds, paint, etc) on the Southern Q? I'm hoping to keep whatever GF/IVS i get for a long time so fit and finish is important for me.
The welding on the Southern Q is good. No issues found on mine at all. Not as pretty a weld as say a Shirley, but they are functional and all painted anyway. The door, firebox and charcoal chute gaskets are the same type you see on Lonestar Grillz Vertical cabinets, so if you see one of Chris vids from Lonestar, you will see the same that Southern Q uses. The insulation thickness is a little less on a Southern Q than it is on the Assassin, but metal is thicker. So far, can’t seem to say that the thinner insulated cabinet on the Southern Q is a detriment as it holds temp extremely well in my limited use. At 250 degrees, you can place your hand and leave it there at just about any spot on the pit except right at the fire box section. At 300 degrees a few spots get a little warm (mostly the top of the cabinet), you can place your hand there and not worry about a burn, but you won’t want to leave it there very long. Paint is a good automotive paint, and you can get one of many different colors no charge. I’d say the Assassins overall look slightly more polished (I’ve spent a bit of time looking at Assassins in person so feel I can compare the Soutern Q to them the best), and the Southern Q looks a little more hand fabricated if you would look at them side by side...if that comparison makes sense...not sure what I like better as far as looks. The parts used on the Southern Q are all good quality items. Wheels are heavy duty, temp gauge is a nice Tel Tru, latch and already mentioned gaskets are very nice.

One thing though that I wish it had, (and maybe Scott could add this), is it doesn’t have the 45 degree angled extra piece of metal at the bottom of the chamber door that pushes the liquids on the door to fall back inside the chamber. You do get a little bit of liquid running out the bottom of of the chamber door. Not a whole lot, but enough that I wish it had this built in. I didn’t notice this before ordering, and wish I had at least known, so I could ask Scott if this angled piece of metal could be added. I’d still buy it without, but if it could be added I would have done it.

Overall, I like many of these gravity feed pits. In a perfect world I would have one of each.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24

Last edited by Chester; 01-22-2021 at 06:28 PM..
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #19
cclinard1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
The welding on the Southern Q is good. No issues found on mine at all. Not as pretty a weld as say a Shirley, but they are functional and all painted anyway. The door, firebox and charcoal chute gaskets are the same type you see on Lonestar Grillz Vertical cabinets, so if you see one of Chris vids from Lonestar, you will see the same that Southern Q uses. The insulation thickness is a little less on a Southern Q than it is on the Assassin, but metal is thicker. So far, can’t seem to say that the thinner insulated cabinet on the Southern Q is a detriment as it holds temp extremely well in my limited use. At 250 degrees, you can place your hand and leave it there at just about any spot on the pit except right at the fire box section. At 300 degrees a few spots get a little warm (mostly the top of the cabinet), you can place your hand there and not worry about a burn, but you won’t want to leave it there very long. Paint is a good automotive paint, and you can get one of many different colors no charge. I’d say the Assassins overall look slightly more polished (I’ve spent a bit of time looking at Assassins in person so feel I can compare the Soutern Q to them the best), and the Southern Q looks a little more hand fabricated if you would look at them side by side...if that comparison makes sense...not sure what I like better as far as looks. The parts used on the Southern Q are all good quality items. Wheels are heavy duty, temp gauge is a nice Tel Tru, latch and already mentioned gaskets are very nice.

One thing though that I wish it had, (and maybe Scott could add this), is it doesn’t have the 45 degree angled extra piece of metal at the bottom of the chamber door that pushes the liquids on the door to fall back inside the chamber. You do get a little bit of liquid running out the bottom of of the chamber door. Not a whole lot, but enough that I wish it had this built in. I didn’t notice this before ordering, and wish I had at least known, so I could ask Scott if this angled piece of metal could be added. I’d still buy it without, but if it could be added I would have done it.

Overall, I like many of these gravity feed pits. In a perfect world I would have one of each.
I asked Scott about adding that angled metal piece on the inside of the door. He told me he hadn’t any reports of liquid running down so I said don’t worry about it. I think I’ll ask again about adding it. Cant be much money.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #20
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

I’ve been very pleased with my Assassin GF17. It took some time to step up and make the investment but I don’t regret it for a second.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC78306F-B72B-4C65-BE49-9883C213D23D.jpg (40.8 KB, 92 views)
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #21
croman126
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 104timberwolf View Post
I’ve been very pleased with my Assassin GF17. It took some time to step up and make the investment but I don’t regret it for a second.
Hey Timberwolf, thanks for sharing. How many baby backs or st Louis racks would you say fit side to side on the shelves in the 17? Aside from the builder/brand, I'm also trying to decide between sizes.

I'm usually cooking for 4-10 people. But every once in a while will cook for 20-30 so having room if needed would be nice.

Thanks again and your Assassin looks very loved!
croman126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #22
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

Quote:
Do you have any experience with the Humphreys GF, or know anyone who does? I saw they make them and they look great, but there is very little out there on them. Even Humphreys instagram and facebook focus only on their regular cabinets. Cant find a video on the GF either.

And I live in VA. So to the best of my knowledge, the only company "close by" to me is Meadow Creek (about 2.5 hrs away) in PA. Other than that I would most likely need to ship.
I don't have experience with the Humphrey's GF directly.

I think 270 smokers is in Maryland, so might be closer to you.

Another one to add to your list is Ironside Smokers out of Wisconsin.
JAKs Q & brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #23
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Hey Timberwolf, thanks for sharing. How many baby backs or st Louis racks would you say fit side to side on the shelves in the 17? Aside from the builder/brand, I'm also trying to decide between sizes.

I'm usually cooking for 4-10 people. But every once in a while will cook for 20-30 so having room if needed would be nice.

Thanks again and your Assassin looks very loved!
I’d guess 3-4 racks per shelf. Even more if you used a rib rack. The difference in the ease of use and quality of food compared to my old Brinkmann off set smoker is night and day. It took some getting used to just how effortless it is to turn out great food. You won’t be disappointed with your investment.
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2021, 06:32 AM   #24
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

croman126,

Just a heads up. Not sure if you know how the search function works on this site, but if you go down towards the bottom of the screen, there will be a google search section labeled “enhanced by Google”.

You can search for each make you are interested in and find old threads talking about each one for the most part. You could type in Deep South for instance and find old topics related to these cookers. I think I have even seen a thread or two on the Humphreys Gravity Fed unit from a few years back. Have fun with your search and good luck picking the right unit for you. Cheers
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #25
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Please keep us posted about your decision and the reviews afterwards. It is possible that one day I might make a purchase and Southern Q and Assassin look tempting especially considering my location.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote