MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Offset pork shoulder - thought you were cookin' them pork collars for a second! But seriously, the next time you fix sausage and eggs for breakfast - CALL ME!! Those look great!
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default pron, pork ready to come off the smoker, into the cooler

Hot and Fast is the way to go! Normally running the drum, I would have had these two shoulder pieces on for at least 12 to 16 hours. I tried my darnest to keep my temps around 300* give or take above or below. The IT on the bigger of the two was hitting 203* just shy of 9 hours from the time it hit the grate. Both of them were probing like butta. And from the chunk or two of bark I hit up before wrapping and coolering I'm thinking it might be the best pulled pork I've made yet.

From about hour 2 on the K was gone and I was cooking with nothing but cherry splits. Added a split or two approx. every 40 minutes or so. Played with the vents and split size all day trying to lock in temps.

More pron to come after pulling these beauties.

Last edited by 42BBQ; 06-05-2012 at 05:01 AM..
42BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
BDAABAT
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Looks yummy! Nice going!

Bruce
Blackstone pizza oven
Blackstone 36" griddle
Weber gas grill
BDAABAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #19
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great looking snack to start, and that pork is looking good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #20
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have never had pork turn out this tender and juicy. The shoulders just fell apart in my hands. I took them up to 203 IT before pulling out of the pit. I foil wrapped them for about 3 hours. I still needed thin gloves to pull them with because of the heat. The bark was dark but very tender. Normally on the UDS I go with the fat cap down and the bottom portion gets too tough to eat and is discarded. The only stuff I tossed from this cook were the large chunks of fat. The meat just fell apart in my hands. I never expected pulled pork at these temps (270 to 350 during a couple temp spikes) to be this unbelievably tender. In the back of my mind I doubted (despite the experts) that it would turn out this good. And I only spent 9 hours tending the pit instead of 12 to 16. I had time to completely clean up my pit for the next cook immediately after I had them foil wrapped. I LOVE HOT AND FAST!!!

Last edited by 42BBQ; 06-05-2012 at 05:01 AM..
42BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #21
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

You certainly nailed it! That looks great
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #22
Phubar

That's how it supposed to look!
Nice job!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #23
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Very nice!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #24
gtr

That looks fantastic - nice work! Thanks for putting up the pron.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #25
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
...They always come in two separate pieces (boston butt and picnic?). One is always a little smaller than the other.
If they're roughly the same shape, then you have two butts. That's how they're normally sold, in pairs at the large place. If it has a pinic in it, you'd see what looks like a ham knuckle a very different shape from a butt.

That's the details.

Great looking cook and the breakfast shot is money!
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOkie View Post
If they're roughly the same shape, then you have two butts. That's how they're normally sold, in pairs at the large place. If it has a pinic in it, you'd see what looks like a ham knuckle a very different shape from a butt.

That's the details.

Great looking cook and the breakfast shot is money!
Thanks for the knowledge Okie, they are marked as "shoulder" on the package so I was never quite sure. I always just assumed it was a whole shoulder, separated. I think I would prefer buying bone in butts, but the local grocery stores can't compare to the price at Costco per #. I really have no complaints about the product though so I just stick with what works. Thanks again, the breakfast was fun to make. I think that will be a staple during all day cooks. Think I'll make a breakfast fattie next time to go with the eggs.

Tags
Cherry wood, Hot and Fast