MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #31
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I too wanna party with you! And may even join the BBQ Ministry!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #32
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
. Why? Because it all started here.
In Illinois you mean

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #33
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Right, it only became bar be cue when the Spaniards showed up with those tasty little piggies! The reason Danny doesn't mention pork is because it was accepted as fact and didn't need to be said. Later when the beef production started up, people still hadn't misapplied the term. That happened after WWII when, through the advent of immediate mass media, modern marketing really got started, and kraft foods "invented" that sweet syrupy sticky glop they call "bbq sauce".

#edit# I wouldn't use an online dictionary or wikipedia as a source. if you notice, pork is conspicuously absent from the dictionary dot com definition. I guess I was wrong the only type of meat that isn't BBQ is pork. I see the light.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #34
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Hugh, have you read your PMs?
I have, and have responded to all. Have you?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #35
douglaslizard
Full Fledged Farker

[quote=
If it walks like a pig and talks like a pig, it must be BBQ.
If it walks like a steer, and talks like a steer, it must be smoked brisket, steaks, veal, etc.[/quote]
so there is no kind of pork that you feel can be smoked.
22.5" Weber OTS
bbq pro offset smoker
bbq grillware stainless charcoal grill
2 ecbs
120 Gallon stickburner
GO GATORS
douglaslizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
In Illinois you mean
Now that's comedy!

so there is no kind of pork that you feel can be smoked.

I don't get what you mean. But it's not called BBQed sausage.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #37
Jorge

Quote:
I have, and have responded to all. Have you?

I have yet to receive a reply from you. Send one of your own, please.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #38
ABQ
On the road to being a farker

I thought dinosaurs were the original bbq.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #39
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I have yet to receive a reply from you. Send one of your own, please.
Sent you another pm, don't know why the first one didn't make it.

Seriously guys, why is everyone so rankled? I am not saying anyone is doing anything wrong, or that they can't cook good. All I am saying is that most people misuse the word BBQ. So what's the big deal. Cook anything any ole way you want.

Just don't hand me a slice of roast beef and call it BBQ.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #40
Rick's Tropical Delight

i just started 2.83 years ago.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #41
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Sent you another pm, don't know why the first one didn't make it.

Seriously guys, why is everyone so rankled? I am not saying anyone is doing anything wrong, or that they can't cook good. All I am saying is that most people misuse the word BBQ. So what's the big deal. Cook anything any ole way you want.

Just don't hand me a slice of roast beef and call it BBQ.
I'm not an expert in inter-personal skills but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

But it might be because you are new here and have come across as arrogant and a "know it all" without really understanding who your fellow members are. As someone new here you might consider not telling so many people they are wrong about what they know and have done for years if not decades. At least until you've been here a little longer than 2 weeks.

But that's just my two cents...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #42
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I'm not an expert in inter-personal skills but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

But it might be because you are new here and have come across as arrogant and a "know it all" without really understanding who your fellow members are. As someone new here you might consider not telling so many people they are wrong about what they know and have done for years if not decades. At least until you've been here a little longer than 2 weeks.

Well said Larry.

We are family here.
It is really not hard to become part of our family--as long as someone wants to.

Some folks fit into our family, and some folks don't.
Nothing wrong with that.

Those that don't respect our family are certainly welcome to look for other families or folks to hang out with.

TIM

Old 08-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #43
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick's tropical delight View Post
i just started 2.83 years ago.
lmao.....

Old 08-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #44
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Well said Larry.

We are family here.
It is really not hard to become part of our family--as long as someone wants to.

Some folks fit into our family, and some folks don't.
Nothing wrong with that.

Those that don't respect our family are certainly welcome to look for other families or folks to hang out with.

TIM
Sage words from good friends of mine. I agree.We are family here.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #45
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

If I have come across as an arrogant know it all I apologize. If I have disrespected anyone I apologize, that is not my intent.

That being said, if truth and history and correct word usage make you guys so mad, maybe we should change the name of the forum to the BBQ-Old Ladies. Seriously, lighten up.

Once again, I have not called anyone's cooking skills into question or promoted one style of cooking over another, I have not insulted anyone. All I have done is try to explain the difference between real honest to god BBQ, and what most people around the world call BBQ. Here are the facts:

Barbecue has always referred to a style of cooking over fire.
It has only been in the last 50 or 60 years that people began referring to anything besides pork as BBQ.
Light red sauce has only been around for about 100 years, since ketchup became readily available.
Thick sweet red sauce has only been around for about 50 or 60 years.
It has traditionally been understood that when someone says "I'm going to have a plate of BBQ" that they were referring to pulled pork.

Like I've said. lots of people call their SUV a truck, but that don't make it a truck.

So I am sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. But if you're gonna claim that I am disrespecting anyone maybe you could look through the posts and show me where. 'Cause I don't see it. With all due respect, if I called my rice mashed potatoes for thirty years, would that make it so? No it would not it would still be rice. I would have just been calling it the wrong name for thirty years.

It's easy for people to get along with others who share their opinions, right or wrong. I understand. But sometimes you just need to look at what someone else is saying and actually listen instead of saying, "This is the way I've always done it so it must be right." BBQ has been around for a long time. It hasn't changed a bit. What has changed is people have expanded the usage of the term to make it a catch all for anything cooked over fire. This is incorrect. Lots of people call BBQ anything that they put sauce on. This is also incorrect. But hey, if you want to call a dog a cat or a rhinoceros an elephant, you are free to. But the word usage would be just as misplaced there as here. So sorry if I offended anyone.