MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 PM   #16
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Rubbing meat at competition

Forgive me, guys for asking a lot of questions but I'll have more more than likely as I go along towards Sept. 30.

Anyway, it just occured to me that since you cannot put any spices, etc. on your meat until after it has been checked by the competition meat inspector, obviously, it can't sit 12-24 hours with rub on it like I usually do. Are there any special things you would do prior to cooking differently than you would at home so that you can still get the benefit of having good flavor?

Also, I have never done it but I read somewhere that a guy put mustard/rub on for several hours then put a second coat of mustard/rub on right before he put it into the smoke so that bark turns out better. Is this something any of you competition cooks do? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #17
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Jeff,
No problem--good question.

Normally, meat inspection is in the early AM (8 to 11 or so), so you can still get 8-12 hours of good time in the rub. Plenty of time.

As to a second coat--your call.
I often add some rub (normally sprinked on) just prior to cooking. Sometimes I don't if it is not handy or I am lazy.
Personal preference as far as I know.
Can't hurt.

You picked a "biggie" to start with--obviously the fun factor will be your reward.

Good Luck and keep the quesions coming--no problemo

TIM

Old 07-27-2005, 11:49 PM   #18
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Competing puts everyone on a level playing field when it comes to handling product. If it 8 to 12 hours is all you have you learn to adjust.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 03:30 AM   #19
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

AR the first time out of the box! Good luck Jeff.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 06:38 AM   #20
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapndsl
Jeff,
No problem--good question.

Normally, meat inspection is in the early AM (8 to 11 or so), so you can still get 8-12 hours of good time in the rub. Plenty of time.

As to a second coat--your call.
I often add some rub (normally sprinked on) just prior to cooking. Sometimes I don't if it is not handy or I am lazy.
Personal preference as far as I know.
Can't hurt.

You picked a "biggie" to start with--obviously the fun factor will be your reward.

Good Luck and keep the quesions coming--no problemo

TIM
OK so if I can't get there that early (they want all checked in before 4pm), I'm just going to lose that time in rub I suppose. It's looking more and more like I'll have to take the full day off! Cool! didn't want to work it anyway. Since I'll be cooking for the brass of my company for a sponsor dinner, maybe I can get away with taking off and not using a vacation day! :D

You know, it is a big'un to start out on and yes, the fun factor will be a good reward (along with the fact that you tell anyone around KC you're cooking in the Royal and they're instantly impressed! LOL!) but after reading NewsDay from New York and seeing them talk about lightning being able to strike anyone, who knows? If I just happen to pull my best efforts out of the smoker...

Thanks for the answers, guys...
KCBS Member #14287

Old 07-28-2005, 07:02 AM   #21
Quigley
Got Wood.

Keep in mind that many people set up very early. The later you get there the more difficult it may be to set up, especially if you have a big rig. Just a thought. Do yourseld the favor, take the day off.
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #22
spicewine
Babbling Farker

We always try to get our meat checked in ASAP. We get there early and concentrate on the Brisket and Pork butt. The Chicken and Ribs don't go on untill the next day anyway and can get the benefit of an overnight seasoning.

I have tried the Mustard thing and although it looks and sounds like it would just be nasty, it actually wasn't too bad! I choose not to do this method in competition.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #23
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Default RE: Re: RE: Competition Sausage Question...

Quote:
Has anyone ever (might be a dumb question?) used plain old raw sausage meat, doctor it up with spices and drizzle some maple syrup on it before rolling into a fatty?
I have not used this recipe but do make my own fatties. Grind up a pork butt and add whatever spices you want to make Italian fatties, polish fatties, etc. Roll the mix in plasic wrap and smoke for about 20 minutes, until if firms up. Unwrap, add rub and smoke for a couple of hours - good stuff.

At the Great Bend contest we turned in smoked Johnsonville Bratts in Head Country BBQ sauce - took 4th out of 40+ teams.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #24
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Good Luck Jeff. On your first competition

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 PM   #25
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Don't forget that you have the MOFO MOJO working for you!!

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #26
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Good Luck Jeff,kick some Butt.Don't forget to take pics.Are you flying the "Brethren" Colors?
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 03:01 PM   #27
YLBILL
Knows what a fatty is.

Jeff, see if Neal will lend you his rib crown for good luck......No wait, he lost that to some kid! Sorry Neil it was too easy! Good luck Jeff, we look forward to the pics.

NB,Weber Kettle,Viking Gas Grill,Klose BYC
It is what it is!
YLBILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #28
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

Go get em Jeff!

Good luck! Who is going to cook with you?

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 06:32 PM   #29
Jeff_in_KC

Thanks guys... in response to several questions in one post:

Neil: Sure! Why not go big, right? Afterall, I'm a Brethren! And we rock!

Jay: Yep, I'm kinda countin' on that! The MOJO will live at the Royal! (Can I use Sweet Heat? :D )

MrSmoker: Yes, I'll be ordering my Brethren Banner from Phil within the next week! I wouldn't cook without it, guaranteed!

Bill: I didn't know Neil lost the crown... and to a kid?!? Neil? What gives?

Belly: Thanks! I'm going to have my wife help me and I have a guy from one of our Reece & Nichols offices who smokes and is really into it. I gave him this link and he has visited. I'll have him hooked by the evening of October 1! I've got a call in to my step-brother who also has a smoker and it working hard to reach brisket nervana. I'm also wondering if any of you MOFOs who won't be cooking in the Royal are planning to be up here and available for a one-time gig away from your regular team... I got nothin' fancy... BSKD, hopefully a WSM and the guy I'm cooking with from our office has something he got from Smoke n' Fire in south Overland Park. Not sure the brand.... And my camper has four soft walls and a vinyl floor (i.e. a tent) but if anyone is interested, let me know. Scott has some things going on where he isn't able to commit the time and I fully understand so unless he finds the time to come down, we won't be cooking together for the Royal. I'd welcome some contest-experienced help.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 07-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #30
Jeff_in_KC

Default RE: Re: RE: Competition Sausage Question...

Sounds good, Wayne... are you doing the Royal this year?
KCBS Member #14287