MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Tkruse
On the road to being a farker

Default new years day cook planning

I've invited 25 adults and 13 kids. I was planning on doing a brisket and 2 pork butts starting the night before to hold in a cooler until needed. After that's done, i was thinking 3 or so racks of ribs. All cooking on the 22.5" WSM. Sides will also be provided. Any thoughts, suggestions etc for the upcoming cook? Thanks in advance!!!
Tkruse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
Smokie185
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkruse View Post
I've invited 25 adults and 13 kids. I was planning on doing a brisket and 2 pork butts starting the night before to hold in a cooler until needed. After that's done, i was thinking 3 or so racks of ribs. All cooking on the 22.5" WSM. Sides will also be provided. Any thoughts, suggestions etc for the upcoming cook? Thanks in advance!!!
If it were me, I would do the butts a day before the other meats. You can shred them and then put them in the fridge. Pulled pork reheats very well. I add a couple of tablespoons of rub and some apple juice after pulling just to make it real tasty. I say that because the brisket will probably hold in a cooler for only about 4 or 5 hours and it takes a long time to cook. You can cook the ribs during the brisket hold time.

Just my thoughts.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

And with 35 people, 3 racks = only 39 ribs -
1 rib apiece, considering the cook needs to sample:)
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Tkruse

Ok. I'm planning on doing the brisket and the two pork butts at the same time. For the amount of people, should I add another but to make it 3?. Also, instead of 3 racks of ribs, what about 6 instead? 2 adults are vegetarians... Thanks again for all the help.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
Tkruse

Does the amount of food sound ok? Suggestions or thoughts on 1 brisket 3 pork butts 6 racks of ribs for 25 or so adults and 13 kids? Served with many sides as well? Thanks bretheren

Old 12-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
dalelovelace
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dale

If you figure each person will eat 1 lb. of meat, you'll need 33 pounds of meat. If you're brisket is ~12 pounds and your butts are around 10 pounds 1 brisket + 2 butts = 32 pounds. Add in 3-6 racks of ribs and you have leftovers to hand out. Realistically most people won't eat 1 pound, especially with 13 of them being kids.
dalelovelace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Does the amount of food sound ok? Suggestions or thoughts on 1 brisket 3 pork butts 6 racks of ribs for 25 or so adults and 13 kids? Served with many sides as well? Thanks bretheren
Way more than enough. You’ll be eating pork for the next month. 2 butts should be fine..
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
Haole Pete
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
2 adults are vegetarians
I find vegetarians don't have enough marbling to do low-n-slow. I'd recommend marinating them overnight and then grilling over high heat...
* Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker (used for BBQ gear storage)
Haole Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2017, 12:38 AM   #9
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole Pete View Post
I find vegetarians don't have enough marbling to do low-n-slow. I'd recommend marinating them overnight and then grilling over high heat...
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
John Redcorn
Got Wood.

No black eyed peas or cabbage? Doesn't add up to a good 2018 for OP.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
thigpen1
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I had a similar situation recently, I wanted to cook ribs but I didn't have enough room on my smoker for enough ribs for a large party so I just cooked butt and some Brunswick stew as a side. I wanted to have enough for everyone to get what they wanted and not be timid about getting the last rib. With a choice between pulled pork or ribs most people will gravitate to the ribs, to keep the stress out of my life I don't offer that option. If I didn't have enough room to cook enough ribs for everyone I would just stick with the pulled pork. To compensate for only offering pulled pork I also up the presentation of the pork by placing it on a large platter similar to a turn in boxes. I also made a couple of table sauces from recipes found on this site. People appreciated this extra effort and it turned out fantastic.
thigpen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Ok. I'm planning on doing the brisket and the two pork butts at the same time. For the amount of people, should I add another but to make it 3?. Also, instead of 3 racks of ribs, what about 6 instead? 2 adults are vegetarians... Thanks again for all the help.
Watch those vegetarians when they hop off the wagon! Its like Ralphie May(RIP) at a Chinese all you can eat buffet....