First try at charcoal grilling

If wood chips is all that's available you could try putting them in aluminum foil and poking holes in it. I've never done this myself but someone else may chime in that has.

I've done this. Make a pouch with the foil, put in chips, close foil, and punch a bunch of holes in it with knife/fork. put on hot coals.

I bought a Smokey Joe the other day for the soul purpose of grilling steaks.:grin:

If it were me, and the SJ was my only grill, I'd try to bank the coals all to one side and go with a more indirect approach as to not dry out anything. (Except steaks. Those go right over the coals) Use half the briquettes your using, bank all to one side, put food and top exhaust on opposite side.

Might be interested in the bottom vent mod so you don't burn the hell out of your fingers, LOL:

DSC03968-1.jpg

I like mine pretty rare. I try to use the "touch" method to test for doneness. I hate the idea of poking any holes in the steaks.

Since I started using this Steaks Cooking Chart, I have hit medium-rare every single time.

Speaking of, are there any other good guides like this? This is what the OP is talking about.

Looks like you have been running it for years! A good tip , most anything you can cook in an oven can be done on a grill\smoker. You just need good temp control and maybe a little foil if in direct heat. Tators corn beans pineapple cocktail wieners ...should all fit on that little guy with your meat.

Chips are fine. No foil. Make a small pile of chips on the hot coals. Let them catch fire and close up the cooker. 15 min or so you should have TBS

Looks like you have been running it for years! A good tip , most anything you can cook in an oven can be done on a grill\smoker. You just need good temp control and maybe a little foil if in direct heat. Tators corn beans pineapple cocktail wieners ...should all fit on that little guy with your meat.

This. I find myself trying to find reasons to grill stuff vs cook it indoors, even if it's normally an "oven" or "stove" meal.

Great job on the ribeye, looks perfect. Enjoy learning with the charcoal. Propane has its place and I own a small Weber Q for quick grills, but IMHO nothing beats the experience and fun of charcoal.

Thanks everyone. Glad to get a second opinion and some good tips. I'm going to keep at it. Maybe one day I'll be an expert

The million dollar question is "How did you like it compared to cooking on propane?" and "Could you tell a difference in taste?"

Looks great! Ribeye and baked potato is my go-to when my wife is away. I had a smokey joe when I was in college, and I used and abused that sucker - I loved it. Keep up the good work!

Toast, all I could find we're chips and I'm afraid they would burn up way quicker than a chuck of wood. I'm on the lookout though.

If you can't find wood smoking chunks at your local Home Depot or equivalent, you can order them online at www.doitbest.com. Prices are very good and they have hickory, pecan, apple, cherry, and even mesquite, I believe.

Shipping is free to your local hardware store, and I see there is a doitbest affiliate in Lakewood about 6 miles from Tacoma. The store will call you when it comes in. I've been doing this now for over 4 years.

Now you'll have to try nine million different brands of charcoal briquets, then another nine million brands of lump charcoal, to see what flavors you like. Hahaha.

Also....do a search for "caveman steaks". You'll love 'em!

Scout your parks and golf courses for pecan and fruit trees. Every time the wind blows get out and pick up the limbs. Peel the bark and let cure. Snap and use in SJ for added smoke if desired. The snapped small limbs work great. Pecan shells work well also.

Do you have a weber chimney? If not ya gotta get one. She'll be by your side as you go bigger and bigger in your charcoal adventure.

Looks like you're on a very fast track to grilling happiness!

Checking out doitbest now. And yes I got a chimney, I would never think of using lighter fluid again after using the chimney! I plan on doing the little mod to the bottom vent handle once I get an appropriate drill bit to drill into the metal.

One question I'm not as clear on though - you've said I could use chips in a foil pouch with holes poked around it, but when using this method are you still required to soak the chips in water like you would have a wood chunk for the charcoal? Probably a stupid question.

There's no need to put the wood chips in water. Just poke holes all in the foil and throw it on top of the coals. They will work if you put them directly on the coals ( no foil). There's no 1 right way.

Haven't done a brine yet, but I looked into them. And I just looked up caveman steaks, and that is definitely something I will be trying in the near future.

You're doing great, everything looks delicious! If you plan on keeping that Smokey joe for grilling don't google mini wsm :wink:

Back