MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Default Vacuum Sealing (Your tips) and tricks

This thread has spawned from the earlier request about cheaper vacuum sealing bags. I got to searching the Interweb for more tips and tricks. There is alot out there. Please use this site to post things you have done with Success and not success... I will go first:

Went camping and efore we left I made Biscuits for BnG's Created a bag put them in after cooled in ziplock bag then Mada bag and put the Buscuits in there and just sealed it not Vacuumed. Was able to keep them in the cooler without getting them wet. Also did similar things with our clothes to keep them dry.

Went to dollar store and got 30 hard plastic non throwaway plates. After a large meal made extra on purpose get out some plates and make homemade Teevee dinners. For example Thanksgiving afterward plate up some turkey smooshed taters and a veggie Prefreeze the plate and vacuum sea! Tevvee dinner for later.

What have you all done?

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Ashmont; 12-06-2010 at 12:30 PM..
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Why are you vacuum sealing ants?

When I am vac-u-sucking soft things (like raspberries, etc.) I freeze them on a cookie sheet on wax paper first, then vac-u-suck.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

When we buy a lot of spares, I fab into SL's , wrap each rack with cling wrap and vac pack 3 or 4 to a bag with a piece of freezer paper between, and freeze. EZ separation, and can reuse the bags. When I'm vac packing wet meat, I fold the top of the bag over a few inches, drop the meat in, unfold, and place some paper towels over the meat to absorb the juices when vacuuming.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

I seal tatoe chip bags almost everyday! Wife get them 55 gallon Tatoe chip bags from sams. Then they get down to over half I cut and seal them so there is no reason to have that much empty bag.

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"

Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Also make several gallon of chili at a time Then freeze in 1 person meal then seal. If people do this a lot every time it will save you money and time. I will tell you with three kids sports and activities, it is a godsend for them to go to the freezer on a rush day. Usually 5 days a week get what they want heat it up. It saves me time from cooking too.....

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"

Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Marty:

The only time I used vac-u-sucks was last September when you and I were bagging up all the shredded pork and beef using your equipment.

I think I will stick with zip lock bags

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Marty:

The only time I used vac-u-sucks was last September when you and I were bagging up all the shredded pork and beef using your equipment.

I think I will stick with zip lock bags

Yeah I like it better when doing smaller batches not like 50 bags at a time. Also when your not in a time crunch either.

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"

Old 12-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmont View Post
I seal tatoe chip bags almost everyday! Wife get them 55 gallon Tatoe chip bags from sams. Then they get down to over half I cut and seal them so there is no reason to have that much empty bag.
55 gallons in a bag????:shocke d: Where do you even store something that big?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I always put a description, the weight and the freeze date near the top of each package with permanent marker.
I store them standing up in rows in the downstairs freezer so I can see what's in there without too much digging.
I try to keep the older stuff on top or in front.
I take a trip to the downstairs freezer at least once a week and move what I'll use that week to the upstairs freezer, picking from the oldest first.
There's been a lot less waste since I started doing this.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
55 gallons in a bag????:shocke d: Where do you even store something that big?

In our walkin Pantry I created. Its 4.5 feet deep by 8' high by 5' Wide. There are 5 shelves to the left. Now that what I call a pantry.

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"

Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
I always put a description, the weight and the freeze date near the top of each package with permanent marker.
I store them standing up in rows in the downstairs freezer so I can see what's in there without too much digging.
I try to keep the older stuff on top or in front.
I take a trip to the downstairs freezer at least once a week and move what I'll use that week to the upstairs freezer, picking from the oldest first.
There's been a lot less waste since I started doing this.

40% of all food produced in the USA is thrown away! Great job sir! Now I don't have to buy more stamps to send the stuff to starving children in third world countries. I will still support every effort though to help them....

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"

Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
j20832
On the road to being a farker

You can also use the vacuum sealer to "speed marinade", I did this with a flat iron steak the other day. Just like Campbell's soup, mmm mmm good!
j20832 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
pizzakngjr
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kyle

I have a FoodSaver and I am wondering how do you seal things with alot of moisture? Sometimes things I think are relatively moisture free, the moisture gets pulled up to the seal and leaves gaps in the seal.
pizzakngjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzakngjr View Post
I have a FoodSaver and I am wondering how do you seal things with alot of moisture? Sometimes things I think are relatively moisture free, the moisture gets pulled up to the seal and leaves gaps in the seal.
When I'm vac packing wet meat, I fold the top of the bag over a few inches, drop the meat in, unfold, and place some paper towels over the meat to absorb the juices when vacuuming.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

rumor has it that there is a brethren member, who will go un-named, that keeps a collection of all his old girlfriends' undies in vac sealed bags in the freezer. just sayin..... ok, i'll go to the woodpile now :)

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->