MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Question How about this Magnolia Wood? [pr0n inside]

I got these magnolia wood branches from a neighbor:

I already searched for forum, there was a reference that magnolia wood doesn't smell that good when burning but not really anything else.

So is magnolia wood suitable as a smoking wood, and which kind if meat would it fit to?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I believe it is not a hard wood. Probably not a good idea to smoke with.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Any way of checking if it is hardwood or not?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try sawing it with a manual saw. If it's hard it will be very difficult to saw through.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
realspaazz
Take a breath!

The magnolia trees that I have trimmed here in Florida, USA, have a somewhat bitter smell and taste (when some of the sawdust falls into my mouth). I would guess that it would have a combination of a bitter and floral smoke flavor. I would try to find out which species of magnolia you might have, then do some research as to potential toxicity. If everything looks good, then do a test burn of a small dry piece. If the smoke smells good, then smoke a single piece of chicken breast to evaluate the flavor.

Personally, for all of the unknowns, I would just burn that wood up in a campfire and find a known good smokewood.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

In all the lists I've seen for smoking woods I don't ever remember seeing Magnolia listed as acceptable. Campfire wood IMO.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
lola
Knows what a fatty is.

Our native (southeastern US) sweet gum magnolias & wild gum magnolias are soft and have a very bitter aroma when burned. If you take a piece and let it dry, if large cracks appear within a month or two it is a soft wood. But, try to burn a small piece and see what it smells like. Your nose will tell you very quickly if you want to taste it or not in your cooking.
lola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll pass because I am not in the mood to perform experiments with smoking wood, and since we can't use it otherwise (no campfires allowed here), I guess I just have to dump it.