MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

My theory is that brisket used to a difficult piece of meat to cook because the techniques were passed down from generation to generation within the family, all in a small region of the country. If anybody wanted to learn how to cook it they had to go to grandpas house and hope that he would share his secrets. Now with the internet all of those little secrets are exposed for the world to see. Now that mysterious piece of meat isn't so scary once we've seen others cook it with success in all varying degrees of styles.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
JCHjr55
Knows what a fatty is.

Every Brisket is Different.

No Texas Myth.

No Ancient Whatever Secret.

Prep It. Season It. Smoke It Low & Slow OR HIgh Heat.

Remove Brisket When Done.

Great Eats To ALL.

John
JCHjr55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I recall a post way back this year where there was a u tube video of a couple making the best ribs they had ever eaten. Grandma's secret recipe.

They boiled them! and then smothered them with Sweet Baby Ray's in another pot. Yummy.

Wonder if I could get the same brisket every time if I did it that way.

I personally don't think brisket is the Holy Grail but I sure do like the way it tastes. Even if I didn't do it that good this time.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't see it as the Holy Grail or difficult to cook well. I'll tell you right now that cooking fully jointed half chickens for comps here in Texas and getting them right is what's nerve racking for me. I think ribs are easy too.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #20
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
My theory is that brisket used to a difficult piece of meat to cook because the techniques were passed down from generation to generation within the family, all in a small region of the country. If anybody wanted to learn how to cook it they had to go to grandpas house and hope that he would share his secrets. Now with the internet all of those little secrets are exposed for the world to see. Now that mysterious piece of meat isn't so scary once we've seen others cook it with success in all varying degrees of styles.
That's who taught me how to cook brisket..... My grandpa that is. And I'm still learning from the Internet. Good barbecue is a journey, not a destination.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
That's who taught me how to cook brisket..... My grandpa that is. And I'm still learning from the Internet. Good barbecue is a journey, not a destination.
Thank you. I'm still following that journey.

This is an old pic, but it makes me hungry anyway.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #22
Boshizzle

Brisket is the "holy grail" because it's hard to cook a great one every time. It's pretty easy to screw up brisket; much easier than it is to screw up a pork shoulder, for example. Many can cook a good brisket but the good cooks can cook a great one most of the time.

Speaking of competition brisket, I have had boxes full of brisket slices as thin as the canvas from a Chuck Taylor Converse sneaker and just as tough. I have also had a few exceptional briskets. But most of them are average at best. So, even a lot of competition cooks struggle with it.

If you can routinely cook a great brisket you are doing well and you deserve bragging rights.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaejw1 View Post
why is the brisket looked upon as being difficult?,, there seems to be so many different ways to cook it with great results,,,

im no expert and being new to this forum I dont have nearly the experience as most,, but my first brisket was done on the fourth and I did have guests over...
the only practice I did was with the smoker itself.. learning the temps and how to regulate...

I just feel that the brisket is fairly simple and that it cooks itself... im having a more difficult time perfecting ribs and chicken

I cant wait to do brisket again.

I will admit though , I did research/read online aswell as ask lots of questions at my favorite bbq joint in the city of compton...

just curious
If its your first brisket, how do you know if it was good?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #24
deepsouth

and sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #25
jaejw1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

sweet.... I wish I had the time to do it often ,,,, after the time and energy spent with the first one it looks like it will have to reserve brosket for holidays or special occasions....

im super excited about my first but now that I think about it, im more concerned about my second with my first being a reference point....
jaejw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #26
landarc

I think if you are doing one brisket, for service whenever you want to serve it, just how you want it, it is not that difficult to turn out acceptable product. However, it is a bit more difficult to cook a large amount that will hold. Most of what makes brisket a legend is that most folks do not and will probably never cook one for themselves, their only experience being the stuff bought from BBQ restaurants. Further, it is highly variable, like all of the meats we cook.

I would suggest that while most of use think we cook all out meats pretty darned good, none of them is really easy. If it was, then people would not crock pot/boil/oven bake their BBQ. I find that making really great ribs to have it's own difficulties, as does ribs, brisket and pork butt. To do them really well is never easy.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
gtsum
Babbling Farker

as has been expounded on by many above, it is several things...that some briskets are done at 190 internal and others are done at 202 for instance.....most people can and do produce a good brisket every now and then, but I have come to find out, like already pointed out above, that making very good brisket all of the time is what is tough (because every piece of meat is so different). They are not as forgiving as a pork butt either - hell, most people can produce acceptable pork 9/10 times....same with ribs...nailing 9 out of 10 briskets is the challenge imo...I am still trying to replicate "my" perfect brisket I cooked a couple months ago...I have not even come close for some reason (modified low heat, then high heat cook).
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #28
Ye Olde Party Palace
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Terry4

If it was easy then my ex-wife could've cooked it. No, really, I think that we all feel that our first brisket was pretty darn good. That is, until we taste some really gooood brisket at a competition. Then, we have to go home and try to figure out how to make ours better, and better, and......

[FONT=Impact]Youth and enthusiasm are easily overcome by old age and treachery. :loco:[/FONT]
Ye Olde Party Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #29
jaejw1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

oh dang,,,, now that I think about it.. my temps were not a consistent 225 nor 250,,, more like up and down between 215-275,,,, due to periodic checking and sleeping... since it was done overnight....

the person that tasted my brisket did say that it was close to competition and with a lil work it could be competition. but since I havent had competition brisket im not sure how close or far I was from that level,,, I can only go by what ppl said

now I have tasted other briskets ,,, BLUDSO'S,, the texas grill place in el toro,, and from newport rib company in ladera ranch,,,, I have to say Bludso's taste better than mine and all the others I have had... I would like to get to Bludso's level
jaejw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #30
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Son of a Bitch! He is spot on. This the product of my father teaching at Ball High and SFA for 40 years. Dude you are so "on" I cannot believe we do not bump into each other. Note were I am from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHjr55 View Post
Every Brisket is Different.

No Texas Myth.

No Ancient Whatever Secret.

Prep It. Season It. Smoke It Low & Slow OR HIgh Heat.

Remove Brisket When Done.

Great Eats To ALL.

John