MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Smile Lighting up a Charcoal chimney for UDS

I'm sure that more than half of us well understand the workings of a charcoal chimney and how to light one. You may have even developed your own methods for doing so unlike any other but, there are some who might not have any idea and feel a bit too embarassed to actually ask. I can remember being there at one time myself. So, I've come up with this picture tutorial on getting a charcoal chimney lit and ready for use with a UDS.

Step 1:
Take one paper towel and pour about a Tablespoon of cooking oil onto it, then wrap it loosely with a second paper towel and place where you intend to set your chimney to light it.

Step 2:
Place chimney on top of the paper towels. I like to use my small grill for lighting my chimney on because it allows for good air flow and doesn't cause scorch marks on anything.

Step 3:
Add charcoal to the chimney, I usually will only fill up the chimney about half way. The truth is you can light a UDS with anywhere from a couple lit pieces of charcoal all the way up to a heaping ton but, if you use alot, it's hard to control and if you use too little, the charcoal might not burn evenly or may take forever to get up to your desired temp. If just starting out, I recomend the half load, you can always go bigger or smaller with future lightings.

Step 4:
Set the paper towels on fire. I normally I will try to light the paper towel from 2 sides to insure even burning.

Step 5:
Let it burn. The paper towel may seem like it is going to burn up very quickly at first but, if you wait a minute you will see that that the oil gives the paper towel a slow burning candle effect.

Step 6:
Wait until the smoke goes away before dumping the charcoal into your UDS. The charcoal will smoke for a good 10-20 minutes.

Step 7:
Once the smoke has died down and you can clearly see the heat coming off the charcoal it is ready to dump into the charcoal basket of your UDS.

All that is left is waiting for your UDS to come up to temp.

Hope this has helped out a couple of people out there. Thanks for looking.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

thanks, nice tutorial!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

Thank You!! Good info
parrdist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
bobsuosso
Full Fledged Farker

Nice job
bobsuosso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

I remember the first few times I used my chimney. I was so methodical of rolling 4 pieces of newspaper in perfect diameters around the inside in concentric rings. Then one day I said the heck with it.. and tried something similar to your style with a little oil. Never rolled newspaper in a circle again!
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
NTX BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the info, very helpful!
NTX BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Exellent info! Thanks!!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
swampdrummer
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thank you! I was definately in the half that didn't have a clue.......
swampdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

I put the chimney on the 160k btu burner on the pit and gas it. Starts in 30 seconds. :-)
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Good info there. Thanks for taking the time. It sure was dang a mystery to me. I would fill 'er up!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Nice tutorial.

Chimneys work nicely, but I've gotten lazy and started using the Weber cubes. They light VERY easily and are super simple (no chimney required)

I think I pay about $3.50 for a standard pack of 24 (not free, but it ain't gonna break the bank and I don't have to fuss with the paper, oil, chimney, transferring the coals, etc.)

Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a ghetto chimney in that I took a 32 oz tin can and drilled 4 1" holes at the bottom. I put one crumpled paper towel with a tablespoon of cooking oil in the bottom then place charcoal on top of that and light the paper towel through the holes at the bottom.

It takes maybe 10 minutes to light up all the charcoal enough to place in my basket.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

I'M in the process of building a uds. Can I just put the coal or wood in the bottom of the barrel in the basket and then light it or do u have to use a chimney?
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscrat View Post
I'M in the process of building a uds. Can I just put the coal or wood in the bottom of the barrel in the basket and then light it or do u have to use a chimney?
I've read where some people use a weed burner to start the charcoal pile. Fire starter sticks is what I started with but my ghetto chimney works better.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

So just light it in the chimney and pour it in the basket and then pile the rest of the kingsford on top of it???
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote