MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
milron
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Charcoal Problems

After battling all night long with the "NEW" Kingsford charcoal I have determined the following:
"Charcoal, just like a woman, sometimes hot, sometimes not!".

Don't know what went wrong, last several uses, everything was good, but these sixty pounds would not develop ant temp. GLowed great, ashed over good, just did not produced the heat as before.
Any ideas as to what went wrong? By the way, it was not wet, nor was it cold outside.
milron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

I married some charcoal just like that. Im no help.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Kirk
Babbling Farker

What kind of cooker? Were you cooking more meat this time? Was it windy? What kind of temps did you see before and how big was the difference on this cook?

Last edited by Kirk; 09-01-2006 at 08:57 AM..
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

BeerGuy, Did we marry sisters?

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Hey,
When you become a full fledged Stick Burner, you won't be worried about no stinking charcoal!!!!!
Stick Burners Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!!!
Hope everyone has a GREAT Holiday weekend.
I am home alone, with the smokers, Whiskey, Bikes and Blues!!!!!!!
ed

Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq
Hey,
When you become a full fledged Stick Burner, you won't be worried about no stinking charcoal!!!!!
Stick Burners Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!!!
Hope everyone has a GREAT Holiday weekend.
I am home alone, with the smokers, Whiskey, Bikes and Blues!!!!!!!
ed
Say no more! Nudge, nudge. Know what I mean?
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
jt
Babbling Farker

Let's bring this back on-topic...

Milron - like Kirk asked- give us more information about your cooker, etc and we'll help with what we can.

Questions:
1. do you have enough airflow under the firegrate?
2. as the cook went on did you clean out the ash under the firegrate? Ash buildup greatly reduces your airflow. I've battled temps before only to find I needed to remove the ash.
3. all your vents open?

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Questions:
1. do you have enough airflow under the firegrate?
2. as the cook went on did you clean out the ash under the firegrate? Ash buildup greatly reduces your airflow. I've battled temps before only to find I needed to remove the ash.
3. all your vents open?
I actually just saw this thread.

jt, all 3 points are exactly what I thought.

Airflow, tell us about airflow.

When I first used a charcoal basket, I could not get above 170*. Changed the direction of how the Dera was sitting on the patio, opened the side door a crack, and it shot right up to 230*.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #9
milron
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Attached photo of homemade grill. Everything was clean, no ash residue from previous cookings.
Air flow, I have a 5" opening on the lower end next to the fire cross drawing to the other end out the 5" stack. I varied the opening in the stack several times but no change in temp.
The major difference of this cooking of butts...I went up from an average of 25-30 to 40 on the racks this time.
I'm also going to check the calibration on the thermometer this pm. I could only hold my hand on the top for a three count.
Really got me scatching my bald head now. Got to cook 30 slabs of St. Louie's Sunday, and some 60 ABT's. May paly with and empty grill Saturday to see what's going on.
As always, I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-19-2006-07.jpg (38.2 KB, 134 views)
milron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Is there a possibility that something is partially blocking the chimney?

Other than that (something simple) I'm kinda stumped

PS, nice rig

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Solidkick

The increase of volume of meat has something to do with it.....get your pit up to temp with lump and then maintain with kingsford. Add lump as needed to get you back up when it starts to get unmamageable with Kingsford.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

"I varied the opening in the stack several times but no change in temp.
The major difference of this cooking of butts...I went up from an average of 25-30 to 40 on the racks this time."

I am taking this just as written. If you varied exhaust damper and did not change anything, there was something BEFORE that dampening the airflow. Especially since you said everything went well before.
My best guess--meat.

There is a current thread about airflow:
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20137

See if any of this makes sense to your situation.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #13
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
The increase of volume of meat has something to do with it.....get your pit up to temp with lump and then maintain with kingsford. Add lump as needed to get you back up when it starts to get unmamageable with Kingsford.
Damn Reno thread in comps and the chicken ranch has got my mind elswhere for sure......

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

Old 09-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

another thing to consider.. The Fundaments of heat and mass transfer. Did u put 280lbs of cold butts into a 250 degree chamber? (280 lbs of butts...avg 7lbs avg).. that much meat is gonna suck the heat out of the ambient air in the chamber. The way the heat exchanges in the chamber, the cold goes out of the meat and hot goes in... The speed it exchanges is in direct relation to the differences in the temps of the two... the wider the gap, the faster the exchange. So, if the chamber is at or near your target temp when you put the meat in, the delta is smaller and your gonna burn alot more fuel to maintain chamber temp. Making that gap larger(hotter chamber), will speed the exchange and close the gap, which levels out temps sooner and slows fuel consumption. Got all that.???

phew.. that was a babble. i just HAD to do that. Spent the afternoon with my boss. nerd mod...

So, whats all that bullchit mean? When i am doing large cooks, i bring the chamber up to 350 and let it run for a while to get that steel hot too. Put the meat in, and leave dampers wide open to get temps back up close to 300, then damper down a bit and let temps drop to 250 gradually as it brings surface temp of the meat up.. once the meat temp is higher, heat transfer between chamber and meat will slow down and temps will stabilize and by then, im down to a few coals in the chamber maintaining temps.

Or, just dont put a load of cold meat in the chamber.

also.. did the additional butts possibly interfere with airflow too?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #15
Solidkick

Yea.....that's what I meant...but was too lazy to type it out.....that's what we have old Poopie for......

Belly Brothers BBQ Team