MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Christian
Found some matches.

Default Barbecue Rub Fanatic

Hello Brethren,

My name is Christian, I live in Santa Cruz, CA, and I’m a dedicated backyard barbecue/grill enthusiast. I have a particular obsession with barbecue RUBS, and have a dream that one day every kitchen in America will have a jar of barbecue rub on its spice rack.

Until very recently, I was a charcoal purist…and strictly hardwood at that. That changed about a month ago when I received a gas grill, a Weber Q, as a gift from my parents. While my OTG is still absolutely the cornerstone of my cooking, I am definitely a newly converted fan of using gas. Primarily because I now grill even more, increasing my weekly “light the grill” count from about twice a week to nearly four.

As a homemade BBQ rub fanatic, this essentially means I can try out even more recipes. A true smoker setup will be my next project (now I happily make do with the OTG.)

I’ve been working in the hi-tech industry for about 18 years with a specialization in innovation – which basically means I find new and novel ways to do things. I do, however, have aspirations to launch my own line of barbecue rubs, and aim to make that a reality in 2010.

I joined the forum to find more people who share my passion for rubs – if you are one, please get in touch; If you know of one, please send them my way. I love sauces and marinades as much as the next guy, but there’s something about rubs that I think goes under-appreciated and under-utilized by the average backyard barbecuer. I’d like to contribute to changing that.

I look forward to learning as much as I can from forum members.

Christian

Old 11-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome to the FUNNY FARM Christian! This place is alot of fun...I'm sure there are brothers that will share rub recipies with ya!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Okay the best way to meet me is baptism by fire. First, welcome to our forum and please don't count any of the things you said that made my eye twitch count against me. We have all seen clueless people come in here and start from scratch and excell to great things after a few months listening and contributing here. Read my quips below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
have a dream that one day every kitchen in America will have a jar of barbecue rub on its spice rack.

THEY DO - SALT AND PEPPER

Until very recently, I was a charcoal purist…

SOME OF US WON'T COUNT THAT AGAINST YOU. WE ALL RESERVE THE RIGHT TO POKE FUN AT YOU FOR YOUR FUEL SOURCE AND DENY EVER HAVING USED IT OURSELVES.

I am definitely a newly converted fan of using gas.

OKAY - NOW WE HAVE A PROBLEM. I DON'T THINK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BBQ HERE.

I do, however, have aspirations to launch my own line of barbecue rubs, and aim to make that a reality in 2010.

KNOWING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT BBQ IS HOW MANY PEDDLING THEIR RUBS GET THEIR START. JUST ABOUT EVERY RUB I HAVE TASTED EXCEPT PBR LOUDLY MAKES THE STATEMENT "i KNOW CHIT ABOUT RUBS" HELL, THE NEELYS GOT THERE OWN DAMN SHOW.

rubs that I think goes under-appreciated and under-utilized by the average backyard barbecuer. I’d like to contribute to changing that.

YOU WOULD BE WRONG HERE. GO TO ANY CONTEST AND SEE HOW SALES RACKS ARE FULL OF EVERY CONCEIVABLE RUB THAT PROMISES TO IMPROVE A PERSON'S Q.

I look forward to learning as much as I can from forum members.

YOU WILL AND ONCE AGAIN - WELCOME TO THE GREATEST FORUM ON LINE.

ONE LAST THING - Grilling is not BBQing.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

Welcome to the BBQ Brethren Christian.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome to the Brethren, this is a great place. When you are ready to go completely gas, let me know, I can swing down and take that OTG off your hands cheap.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 11-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Christian
Found some matches.

No worries. Won't count anything against you.

You could've had me with pepper.

I gotta at least defend myself on the Grill vs. BBQ call out. Come on, i'm not that average of a griller. But both topics (grilling and barbecuing) are welcome in this forum, right?

Serious question: Does the average backyard barbecuer go to contests? I realize there are a ton of varieties available -- but my anecdotal impression is that most backyardigans rely on marinades and sauces.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welcome to our crazy little club house!

Quote:
Serious question: Does the average backyard barbecuer go to contests?
I don't know about the average backyard-er, but I think that the majority of the members here have at least been to a comp. Some cook, some judge, some just go to visit with friends. Once you get to know some of the Brethren online you may just find yourself heading to a local contest to "put a face" on the names here. Have FUN!!!
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Christian
Found some matches.

[QUOTE Once you get to know some of the Brethren online you may just find yourself heading to a local contest to "put a face" on the names here. Have FUN!!![/QUOTE]

Absolutely ... already looking forward to it.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Welcome to the BBQ madhouse...

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome Christian! The really cool thing about this place is that there are so many types of people here!

You have the ones that compete, the ones that vend, the ones that just whip up some really fine 'Que in their backyards, and the ones that are new to 'Que and just want to learn.

Everyone has a home here and learns here.

Cook something! Post some Pron! Good or bad, it don't matter!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
Christian
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasePig View Post
Welcome Christian! The really cool thing about this place is that there are so many types of people here!

You have the ones that compete, the ones that vend, the ones that just whip up some really fine 'Que in their backyards, and the ones that are new to 'Que and just want to learn.

Everyone has a home here and learns here.

Cook something! Post some Pron! Good or bad, it don't matter!
Thanks, GreasePig.

I see your location is in Fayetteville, AR. I lived down there, not far off Dickson for a few years.

Any chance you know Penguin Ed?

Christian
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

welcome!
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team www.blazinbuttz-bbq.com
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Midnight Smoke

Hello and Welcome!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
NorthwestBBQ

Welcome to the best BBQ website on the internet!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
landarc

Quote:
I gotta at least defend myself on the Grill vs. BBQ call out. Come on, i'm not that average of a griller. But both topics (grilling and barbecuing) are welcome in this forum, right?
They are both welcomed here and can both be subject to a lot of chatter, just make sure you know the difference.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Closed Thread

Tags
barbecue rubs, grilling, rub, rubs