Advice and Opinions on Coal basket and tuning plate design with Pics!

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I need some input on a coal basket and tuning plates materials that I'm going to try in the New Braunfels Black Diamond. I did a search and looked at some baskets and baffles etc. and all were made from Expando, or a combo of sheet steel. This is a 12" x 12" x9" 1/8" thick sheet with 3/8" holes punched. I think it may need more circulation on the bottom of the basket and thinking of cutting part of it out and putting a square of expando.

I also came across these pieces of 3/16" thick sheets with 1/8" holes punched in it, and thinking of using it for tuning plates or a combination with solid plates.
100_1449.jpg

100_1448.jpg

100_1447.jpg

Keep it/chuck it? Add baffles? Any advice or mods from basket users or builders appreciated.
Thanks!
Brian

That looks like the "gold" (in color) plated racks that I see IC boards mounted in. Find out what the plating is. Burn it off if you can before you put food in the smoker. Fumes from plating can be bad chit. Stuff like chromium, zinc - not good. Im not sure what the gold color plating is.

The gold color is rust, It was a small parts washer basket that had a damaged lid that I removed and rescued from the scrap bin.

Do you think the basket will withstand the heat of the lump or briqs?

Mods for offset

Brian, Here are the mods that I did on my Bar-B-Chef. PM me if you need more details.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 108
With the small holes in the basket, you might have to shake it to get ash out for air flow. But give it a try and let us know.

Mike - thanks for the pics. I'll be making my baffle this week. I made a new grate out of expanded steel and steel L-bracket, and in addition to turning it sideways, I made it longer, raising it even higher. After seeing your pics, I may turn it into a basket.

thillin said:
With the small holes in the basket, you might have to shake it to get ash out for air flow. But give it a try and let us know.

Those holes do look rather small. Initially, I don't think it will be a problem but on long cooks you may have a problem with not enough ash being able to fall through. Then your coal bed will choke.

I like your idea of cutting a hole and using the expanded steel to cover it.

Back