Help with Glue

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I accidentally knocked my wifes cutting board off the center island yesterday while making lunch. It was my fault for being clumsy. It broke in half at one of the seams. I will need to run it through my jointer and glue it back together with water proof glue. I have some Titebond II and Gorilla Glue in my shop. Would Titebond II be safer to use in this application?

I would stay away from Gorilla glue, as it contains polyurethane It's good glue, but it has polyurethane in it..

Read the label on Titebond it says non-toxic....

while it apart, as Kevin suggests, you might as well dowel it. 3/8ths would work, then clamp ,in dry place, for 24/48hrs, sand off excess ,and your having a stronger product than before

Kevin,

I have already run it throught the jointer and drilled the holes for dowels. I was going to use biscuits but it is 2 1/4 maple and kinda heavy. I felt better using dowels with the weight. Once glued that sucker will never come apart. The only question remains is which glue is food safe, the Titebond II or Gorilla glue? Both are waterproof.

I think Bobberqer must have posted while you were typing. Looks like he has the answer.

That clinches it. The label on my bottle of Titebond II has been oblithered. Thanks Kevin and Bob.

If it gives you peace of mind, go ahead with the dowels. With properly jointed edges, they're completely unnecessary for joint strength, but will help with alignment.
Neither glue will allow you to repeatedly soak the cutting board for extended periods, as they're non flexible and soaking will cause excessive swelling of the wood on either side of the bond, which will weaken the joints. The TBII will work great provided when cleaning, you scrub, rinse and dry minimzing the time the wood has to soak up excess water.
When sanded, use a foodsafe finish (like parafin oil) to help seal the wood and it should be good for several years of use.

I use a good quality mineral oil. Part of the reason it broke so easily was because she never oils her board and it was starting to dry out and separate. I just repaired some other places where it was starting to come apart with some Titebond II and a couple more Bessy's.

use the Titebond II. clamp it for 24 hrs. use a good oil on the wood. dowells won't really do anything for the joint other than for lining it back up. they won't make the actual glue edge any stronger.

OSD writes >>>.they won't make the actual glue edge any stronger.<<<<

you got that right .. it's the clamping ..the dowels will not only line up board but will also help if/when it swells Make sure you completely glue dowels before you slide em in there ... in fact, score them about evey inch or so, so the glue has a place to sit while drying, and will provide more of a surface for the glue:wink:

>>.

Back