MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #166
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
I don't think we should pull a judge during the contest. But afterwards they should have a talkin to. And if the problem continues they should no longer be able to judge. After talking to people about this particular judge, I've been told both her and her husband are known bad judges who have been in trouble before. These types of judges need to go.
I don't disagree.

Whether it's a judge issue, a team suspected of violating rules, or whatever else may come up if more cooks would report this stuff to Reps more could be done. If a Rep can't, or won't, do anything then the cook needs to take it to the office and/or board.

A classic example from my time on the board was an email about another team cheating. It wasn't reported to the Rep at the contest, the individual writing me the email wouldn't send their email to the entire board, and didn't want to be identified. But they did want me to have that team banned. All I could do was find out where the alleged cheater cooked and send a heads up to the Reps that generally covered contests where they cooked.

The other side of the coin is that I know of a couple of instances where judges stated opinions that were contrary to what is taught in CBJ classes. One in particular was a judge stating that if a box didn't have burnt ends he was deducting points. Reps were notified, judge was talked to, judge claimed to have seen the light. Whether their future scores reflected that I have no way of knowing. Somebody said something, and something was done.

Again not directed at you personally.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #167
Jorge

Special Meeting Agenda posted

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17483

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #168
Jorge

I'm mulling the list of candidates over. If you haven't looked, it can be found at the link below. If somebody has a candidate they believe would make a difference I'd be interested in learning more. There are a lot of candidates I know nothing about other than their answers to the standard questions.

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17482

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #169
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I'm mulling the list of candidates over. If you haven't looked, it can be found at the link below. If somebody has a candidate they believe would make a difference I'd be interested in learning more. There are a lot of candidates I know nothing about other than their answers to the standard questions.

I know David McAllister would make a great fit for the Board. He shares the same view as many of us. He is level headed and currently works in technology doing programming. Had he been on the Board prior to the technology update that happened, his voice in having the system tested would have been communicated. He is very respected on the BBQ circuit and understands what we go through as cooks. He has a great passion for our "sport" and wants to make sure that the KCBS organization moves forward in a way to grow that passion for others and provide for a fair assessment of our burnt offerings.

We all would be lucky to have David as a Board member.
manmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #170
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just as an ending of this story for me, I as a judge will gladly take any continued education action, I will continue to help out with our area CBJ training class, I will if brought to my attention that a judge is not judging according to KCBS rules and procedures take immediate action with the KCBS Rep whether it's a matter of speaking to the judge after judging up to recommending the judge be replaced immediately due to what was said/done.
Note to cook teams, I am not the only judge to feel this way. The majority of judges are there to enjoy the sport and give their best. But just like less than perfect cooks we have less than perfect judges.
Keep the faith all.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #171
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Just as an ending of this story for me, I as a judge will gladly take any continued education action, I will continue to help out with our area CBJ training class, I will if brought to my attention that a judge is not judging according to KCBS rules and procedures take immediate action with the KCBS Rep whether it's a matter of speaking to the judge after judging up to recommending the judge be replaced immediately due to what was said/done.
Note to cook teams, I am not the only judge to feel this way. The majority of judges are there to enjoy the sport and give their best. But just like less than perfect cooks we have less than perfect judges.
Keep the faith all.
Ed
Ed,

This is a great comment. First off, thank you for providing us cooks a fair and reasonable assessment of our offerings. I think we all can agree that the vast majority of cooks and judges feel the same way. And while we can't keep the occasional rogue judge or extremely biased cook from the sport, having a well defined process from KCBS that keeps all judges as fresh as possible is what most are clamoring for.
manmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #172
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:

I voted for Brian Turner (Mutt) as he's a seasoned cook and a good friend.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #173
Jorge

Thanks to those that posted or shared their thoughts via PM.

David McAllister ultimately earned my vote. KCBS has multiple technology issues at the current time and I feel he's the most qualified to address those now and moving forward.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #174
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

How are KCBS members supposed to know there is an election to vote in? If not for the Brethren, I would not know anything about it. I just logged in and voted, but have received no notice from KCBS about the special election. I predict a very low turnout. Is this a super secret election?
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #175
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
How are KCBS members supposed to know there is an election to vote in? If not for the Brethren, I would not know anything about it. I just logged in and voted, but have received no notice from KCBS about the special election. I predict a very low turnout. Is this a super secret election?
I got multiple emails. Are you sure your email address is up to date?
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #176
thirdeye

I got an email on the 27th. Maybe check your junk or spam folder. They are from:

Kansas City Barbeque Society <[email protected]>

And they have full instructions on how to navigate the site and vote:

Welcome to the KCBS 2019 Board of Directors Special Election

The KCBS Online Election Process
The election voting shall begin at 7:00am Central Time on June 24th, 2019 through 7:00pm Central Time on June 30th, 2019.

To vote using the online election, you must first go to kcbs.us and log in. After log in, please make sure that your "My Profile" is correct in the members area, especially state and/or country. If not, please go to “Member Info” and update.

You may review nominees HERE should you have questions of their platforms they are running on. After reviewing nominees, you can click the ENTER VOTING BOOTH to cast your votes for up to one (1) nominee.

If you have already decided, you may go directly to the VOTING BOOTH and cast your vote.

You will NOT be able to go back to the “review nominees” section after you enter the voting booth. if you wish to change your vote, after it is cast but before leaving the page, click the checked box and your vote will be withdrawn allowing you to vote for someone else.

Thank you for your support of KCBS!

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 07:31 PM   #177
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
I got multiple emails. Are you sure your email address is up to date?
Same email address I have had for more than 25 years. They manage to send my membership renewal invoice every year. Nothing in spam.
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #178
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
Same email address I have had for more than 25 years. They manage to send my membership renewal invoice every year. Nothing in spam.
Call the KCBS office. I would want an explanation.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #179
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Special Meeting Agenda posted

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17483
I keep hearing rumors that the CEO has been fired already and some other rumblings. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #180
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
I keep hearing rumors that the CEO has been fired already and some other rumblings. Guess we will find out tomorrow.
Board doesn't have a quorum, can't conduct any business.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcbs