MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Ramiro0727
Got Wood.

Default 1st pulled brisket

A buddy of mine wants to smoke his 1st brsiket. But he wants be able to have a pulled brisket. I never smoked one before. Can I get some advice on how he can go about doing this on his UDS.

thanks,
Ramiro0727
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

I must first give a disclaimer.... This is not a brisket recipe, but rather some other concoction - though it does taste great and is useful for sandwiches or the like. Those from Texas please don't crucify me.

Take your brisket and only trim the very top layers of fat that will not absorb much smoke or flavor leaving a very thick fat cap - this is to keep fat content in place for the flat as it is going to be dry unless you ensure there are juices for it. Then heavily season the brisket; just cover it in your favorite seasoning and then let it rest for 10 -15 min and add another coat. This will make a cakey substance on your meat - its ok. Place it on your smoker at 215-225 for about 6 - 12 hours (I like longer) depending on weight - about an hour a pound - then wrap it up until it is pull apart tender - about 225 IT. Now heat the pit up and place the brisket (very carefully) over open coals to firm it up and add some additional char; make sure you reserve the juices. Remove the brisket from the cooker and cover it for about 3-4 hours until it drops to 140 or so. Then open it pull it using forks or chop a bit if you like and pour the juices over it into a roasting pan. Place it back in the oven until ready to serve. You shouldn't not need sauce but if you like you can replace the juices with sauce on a 1:1 basis. Good luck and I never gave this advice, else I may loose may TX BBQ card. Good luck CA.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Ramiro0727
Got Wood.

Thanks FatCoyote. I will let him know what he must do.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Overcook it.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

If you cook a packer, the point can be shredded/pulled pretty easily with the flat still done properly.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Leave the pullin' to the pigs and the brisket to ol' Tex.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Bludawg

Smoke it for 6 hrs at 250 pan it toss in a couple of 1/4ed onions foil it over and finish it in the oven at 325 until it is fallin apart. Defat add a little BBQ sauce to the pan juices. Shred the brisket with a couple of forks toss in the sauce cover it back up with the foil & collect your Money.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
TSGlover
Knows what a fatty is.

Why would you want to pull brisket?
TSGlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSGlover View Post
Why would you want to pull brisket?
Because it's delicious if done right.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
DanaK6JQ
Got Wood.

Speaking of pulled brisket... friend of mine in Edenton, NC overcooked his brisket at the 2010 Edenton Hog Fest. In frustration, he pulled and sauced it and turned it in. Got 10th out of a decent field of 37 entries.
DanaK6JQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Ramiro0727
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone for your guys input. I will let him know