MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #31
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
One strong possibility is that you are physically too close to the food for your camera's focus range.
CD
That has to be part of the issue because when I take regular pictures it shows a green grid on the screen.
I will also try to figure out some way to get more light in the picture area.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #32
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-JUN View Post
Okay so I can get my hands on a tripod, two actually, one floor model and one that sits on a table. I also know someone who has a light box he doesn't use. He says it's like this

but just the box no lights would this help?
I use one light source for food, whether it is man-made or sunlight. Tw light sources will make your food look flat. If you have too much contrast, use a piece of white paper taped to cardboard to reflect light from opposite your light source.

I took this picture with a Canon PowerShot P&S camera, using a table lamp and a kitchen trash bag as my light source.

Read more about it, and read all the good posts in the Photography Tips and Tricks" thread in the Throwdown Forum.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=photography

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #33
landarc

Everything that CD says is a good idea.

Yes, I shoot images a little larger than I need, and crop in. I shoot with a high resolution and get a workable image for internet use. If I was shooting for print, I would shoot with higher resolution, and use more of the capabilities of my camera. I only shoot with a digital SLR fitted with a f1.8 50mm lens. No macro or zoom. My typical shot is from 36" to 48" away from the food. One source of light as well.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #34
caseydog

Quote:
Thanks, so this type of box helps if you have lights? Probably a dumb question but would I be better off spending that money to upgrade my camera?
When your current camera is holding you back, then it is time to upgrade. Right now, no offense, but the camera is not the problem. Read, learn and practice. Improve your skills before buying a new camera.

Look at it this way, if you can't cook good food on a $150 kettle, buying a $1,200 BGE isn't going to make you a better cook. Just like cooking good food, taking good pictures requires learning and practice.

CD

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Just asking, but have you tried using a smartphone? I use my iphone and my Windows Phone (don't ask) to shoot the pics I post here.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #36
deguerre

Quote:
When your current camera is holding you back, then it is time to upgrade. Right now, no offense, but the camera is not the problem. Read, learn and practice. Improve your skills before buying a new camera.

Look at it this way, if you can't cook good food on a $150 kettle, buying a $1,200 BGE isn't going to make you a better cook. Just like cooking good food, taking good pictures requires learning and practice.

CD
Listen to EVERY thing the dog says. Also, it helps if the photographer is in focus too...

Not that I know anything about that.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #37
BeaglesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Thanks, are there any features on these that you would consider to be must haves. My guess is there are lots of options. My wife has an old film type camera (maybe 30 years old) and she has some lenses with it. Do the digital cameras fit the film type lenses?
Yes, I find that being able to adjust my shutter speed, light sensitivity and f-stop are things i can not do without anymore. With a the ablility to adjust all this and being able to interchange your lenses you can get any effect you want.
exp. Large depth of field to short depth of field. Even being able to adjust your ISO helps when shooting in different lighting. It is a learning curve for sure but once you get used to adjusting on the fly you cant go back.

I believe you can use some old analog lenses with the newer digital cameras. I think Nikon lenses work but think you need to have an adapter for canon lenses. you would also most likely have to self meter the light. meaning the light meter in the camera will not work with the old lenses.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #38
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaglesBBQ View Post
Yes, I find that being able to adjust my shutter speed, light sensitivity and f-stop are things i can not do without anymore. With a the ablility to adjust all this and being able to interchange your lenses you can get any effect you want.
exp. Large depth of field to short depth of field. Even being able to adjust your ISO helps when shooting in different lighting. It is a learning curve for sure but once you get used to adjusting on the fly you cant go back.

I believe you can use some old analog lenses with the newer digital cameras. I think Nikon lenses work but think you need to have an adapter for canon lenses. you would also most likely have to self meter the light. meaning the light meter in the camera will not work with the old lenses.
Older lenses will mount on newer cameras, but some of the new camera features will not work. Cameras and lenses communicate with each other these days, and if the lens can't understand the camera, features are lost, and in some cases, the camera just won't work with the lens.

I have seen charts on the WWW that list which lenses work on which cameras, and what features you lose, but I don't recall where.

CD

Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #39
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Read more about it, and read all the good posts in the Photography Tips and Tricks" thread in the Throwdown Forum.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=photography

CD
Thanks CD for the link I will spend some time there for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Everything that CD says is a good idea.

Yes, I shoot images a little larger than I need, and crop in. One source of light as well.
Thanks this will be the first thing I try.

Quote:
Right now, no offense, but the camera is not the problem. Read, learn and practice. Improve your skills before buying a new camera.

CD
Great advise and so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Listen to EVERY thing the dog says. Also, it helps if the photographer is in focus too...

Not that I know anything about that.
I know CD knows his chit I am listening carefully. As for me being in focus that could the worst problem of all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaglesBBQ View Post
Thanks for the info.

Brady

Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #40
landarc

I was just talking about the whole camera and lens issue with a friend out here who is a professional and a Nikon fanatic. I had a chance to get a whole bunch of Canon lenses, I shoot a Canon, and he brought up the fact that the new lens are not just communicating, but, that the coatings on the lenses are now optimized for the sensors in the cameras. He was strongly suggesting that old lenses are not a good route for a new camera, and beyond that, with the exception of highly specialized shooting, you do not need a lot of lenses.

He did a lot of food shoots for restaurants and food publications, and he said he really relied on his prime, a short zoom and a long zoom, that is just three lens, and he said you could get away with just the short zoom if you wanted. I listen to him, because, well, his shooting is better than mine.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
Teltum

Hold the shutter button half way down for a moment right before you hit it to take the picture that forces the camera to focus.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #42
BeaglesBBQ

Chit glass will give you chit pics, no matter who is taking the pictures. Comparing grills to cameras is a little bit of a stretch to me. I do completely agree with what CD said about the cooking and equipment. But then again, I think if you took the same pic with a better camera it would be a much better pic just from the better glass alone.
Sure, there is plenty of room to improve with what you have with lights tripods etc, but your still going to have pics from a low megapixel tiny lens camera.
Note: I come from the advertising/retouching world so I may be a little snobby when it comes to cameras ;)
Dont want to contradict or offend anyone..... just my 2cents

Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #43
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Poor lenses primarily cause chromatic aberration and distortion which are not the problems we're seeing. The issues of image quality that come up with photos posted on our forum revolve around color balance, under exposure, motion blur and lack of focus. Of course better cameras (both point and shoot and slrs) have white balance settings, greater light sensitivity, image stabilization and other features that help but great images can be made with simple cameras. High resolution cameras are certainly essential in print advertising (I'm a catalog photog and I shoot with a 40 mp Phase One back on a Hassie) but completely unnecessary for web posts. Besides, you'd be hard pressed to find a camera made today under 10 mp. I could make fine images for this forum with a 1 mp camera if I could find one. The information you need to do that has been laid out clearly and concisely in this thread.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #44
BeaglesBBQ

ok, I guess I have nothing to contribute here. Ignore everything I said previously.
Get a shoplight from homedepot and hang a sheet over it and you will be golden.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #45
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
The information you need to do that has been laid out clearly and concisely in this thread.
I agree and would like to thank everyone for all the information. I plan to do some reading and experimenting. Hopefully I will be able to show you some nice pics in the future.
Thank you for helping out a fellow Brother.

Brady