MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

go for the additional lighting. more light = faster shutter reaction which should = less motion blur. I have a DSC-H9 and can take some awesome pictures given halfway decent lighting.
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Fingerlick'n makes a point that a lot of brethren can benefit from. Different lamps have different colors. Tungsten bulbs give off warm (orange light) some florescents are greenish, leds can skew blue. If your camera doesn't have settings for different lighting situations then you'll have to use software to color correct it after the fact with a program like this. If it's light outside I'll stage my shots on a cutting board next to a north light window and use some bright white poster board as a reflector to fill in the shadows. And as everyone says a tripod is a must. Picking the right tripod is another whole can of worms. Good on ya for facing your photo woes.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-JUN View Post
Okay so I should back off of the shot then crop for a tighter shot?
This is one way of doing it. Back off a bit and use the optical zoom to get a tight composition. Also, allow your camera about a second to hunt for focus by depressing your shutter half way, especially in low. This is usually how I compose tight, close up shots using my el cheapo point n shoot.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

And another point from fingerlicken was TAKE AS MANY SHOTS you can. Thankfully, all you're wasting now is temporary storage space, not film.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I realize that it doesn't help you right now, but starting with the June issue, the Brethren magazine will have a regular column on food photography with tips and suggestions.

www.smokesignalsmagazine.com

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Okay so I can get my hands on a tripod, two actually, one floor model and one that sits on a table. I also know someone who has a light box he doesn't use. He says it's like this

but just the box no lights would this help?

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
I realize that it doesn't help you right now, but starting with the June issue, the Brethren magazine will have a regular column on food photography with tips and suggestions.

Eric
Outstanding can you tell me where to order that magazine.

Brady

Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #23
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Outstanding can you tell me where to order that magazine.

It's online and it's free.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
it's online and it's free.

eric
man i love this place !!!

Brady

Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
BeaglesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Okay so I can get my hands on a tripod, two actually, one floor model and one that sits on a table. I also know someone who has a light box he doesn't use. He says it's like this

The main problem is your lens. Point and shoot cameras are very limited in their lenses. All the lights and tripods in the world will not increase the quality of the camera.
I would suggest if you know you like photography get an entry level DSLR like the canon EOS or similar. The lenses are interchangeable and you have much much more control on the overall camera function.
Cameras and lenses are truly one of those things that you get what you pay for, that being said, an entry level SLR can be picked up relatively cheap for what they do.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Okay so I can get my hands on a tripod, two actually, one floor model and one that sits on a table. I also know someone who has a light box he doesn't use.

You'd need lights too. A couple of work lights from Lowes or Home Depot or a couple of cheap Smith Victors off of ebay would do fine.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaglesBBQ View Post
an entry level SLR can be picked up relatively cheap for what they do.
Thanks, are there any features on these that you would consider to be must haves. My guess is there are lots of options. My wife has an old film type camera (maybe 30 years old) and she has some lenses with it. Do the digital cameras fit the film type lenses?

Brady

Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
You'd need lights too. A couple of work lights from Lowes or Home Depot or a couple of cheap Smith Victors off of ebay would do fine.
Thanks, so this type of box helps if you have lights? Probably a dumb question but would I be better off spending that money to upgrade my camera?

Brady

Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
caseydog

I don't know that camera, but most auto-focus point-and-shoot cameras will make a beep sound, or give you some kind of indication that you are in focus before the shutter clicks. One strong possibility is that you are physically too close to the food for your camera's focus range. You can step back and zoom in, or step back and crop later on the computer. Again, your camera should have some indicator that your subject is in focus. Check your user's manual.

Also, low light will open the aperture all the way, which will reduce your depth-of-field (the range of distance that is in focus). Shoot in more light to increase that in-focus range.

A tripod can help with motion blur, but what I am seeing in your images is lens blur, not motion blur. The pictures are just plain not in focus.

So...

1. Find out how your camera will tell you if you are in focus, and...

2. If needed, back up, and either use the zoom function to crop for composition, or crop later on your computer.

3. Shoot in brighter light, or use the flash.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
If it doesnt focus in macro mode that means you are too close for the macro mode to be effective, just slowly inch out until you find the ideal distance.
Also, in macro mode, your depth of field is really shallow, especially with low light requiring a wide aperture.

I wouldn't use macro mode for food shots. The depth of field is just to shallow.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote