MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #91
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

wow... WTF is wrong with some of you folks?...

keep the bashing to zero.... support his decision, or offer constructive criticism, but pissin on his shoes, or being a general azzhat is not permitted,m and not in the spirit of our forum.. like mom says, have nothing nice to say, say noting.

lighten up.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #92
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

INMHO this a monster thread about choice. I was really naive when I purchased a ceramic cooker. But I can cook. The most basic grill can produce wonderful results in the hands of a skilled cook master. I hesitate to use the word chef as I am a former restaurateur and loathe the chef attitude. Who really cares what you cook on if you can produce results. I have seen many a fellow brethren state that they have a open fire pit with a grate. Last week I was at a birthday party for my 1 year old Grandson. I brought meat for the grill and when I got there they're gasser wouldn't work. No problem....went into the kitchen, took the racks out of the oven, set them over my daughters fire pit, set the gasser grates on top using a few bricks to elevate the cookin surface and boom.... we were in business. Some of you have read my posts particularly about pizza and I am a major proponent of simple. The more simple your approach is to cooking the more stellar your results and reviews will be. If you feel the need to buy the latest and greatest equipment available, more power to you. I applaud your spirit. I too have looked for answers to my burnt out gasser's burners and have bought a ceramic grill and still replaced the gasser's burners. I look at my gasser as a fast and furious or hurricane relief cooker alternative. But in reality...will this be the last cooker standing, I doubt it! Will I continue to invest or construct fire breathing, smoke ingesting cauldrons of joy? Oh God I hope so! No more words!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #93
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

ADMIN NOTE: ok.. I just spent 15 minutes scrubbing the bullchit in here.. 15 mins i cant have back.. In having to re-read this twice just to referee the childish insults, i found several members were very close to earning a timeout.. but since we were not here for the entire pissing contest, and just like smacking the dog a day later for crapping on the carpet does nothing, a lockout at this time is useless..

but rest assured, we dont tolerate chit slinging for sport.. offering a respectful opinion(even if negative) is constructive, but telling folks they have more $$ than brains(which BTW, I fall under, even if its only $20), is bullchit.... as well as a few other useless 'sasquatch like ' comments..

be warned.... more chit slinging WILL earn you a 3-7 day lockout..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #94
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Do these things hold heat at 235 for 85 hours without any more fuel? I saw that temperature a few pages back and was wondering. If so, that is heat retention along the lines of a domed Neapolitan pizza oven and that would be impressive since the walls on one of those ovens is pretty darn thick and this thing doesn't look much thicker than a BGE. I'd like to see a pizza some out of it at 900 degrees and see how it cooks. It it can hold high temps in the dome then this this might be a viable smaller and portable alternative to a wood fired oven and still offer the ability to smoke low and slow. All on one setup, although pricey. Then again, a wood fired oven isn't exactly cheap to build or buy either along with having to buy a separate smoker.

Just throwing that out there and I may be completely mistaken in my thought process.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #95
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Again, check out the review at the Naked Whiz. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...m#introduction
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #96
ToastedMorsel
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
but it cooks absolutely no better than a BGE or a KJ at five times the price. I guarantee you it isn't half the smoker a basic UDS setup is.
I find it hard to believe you don't know that a super insulated cooker performs better than a glazed ceramic pot or a basic UDS..

From the well respected Naked Whiz website..
Naked Whiz Review
Cooker Efficiency
"One of the tests that we have performed in the past using a large Big Green Egg, a Kamado Joe classic cooker, and our 2006 Komodo Kamado is to heat the cooker up to 400°F, controlled by a BBQ Guru temperature controller, and then measure the surface temperature of the cooker at various locations on the dome or lid after 2.5 hours.

We used a BBQ Guru ProCom4 controller to keep the cooker at 400 degrees (dome temperature) for 2.5 hours. We then measured the surface temperature of the cooker at various locations on the dome, from the lower edge up to the upper vent, using a Type K thermocouple precision surface probe. The temperature of the dome on the Egg varied from 180 degrees at the lower edge of the dome to 245 degrees at the top of the dome near the upper vent. The Komodo Kamado was fairly constant around the lower part of the dome, from 150°F to 155°F. (There is no insulating layer around the lower edge as this is where the internal band is and structural refractory material is required to hold the band.) Higher up on the dome where there is an insulating layer, the temperatures were lower, approximately 130°F. At the very top of the dome near the chimney, the temperature was a mere 125°F.

So while the dome of the Egg was scorching hot to the touch, you could leave your hand anywhere on the Komodo Kamado's dome for at least a couple of seconds. Clearly the Komodo Kamado is keeping far more heat inside the cooker and of course, the exterior of the Komodo Kamado stays at a lower temperature should one come into contact with it." End Quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post
Do these things hold heat at 235 for 85 hours without any more fuel? since the walls on one of those ovens is pretty darn thick and this thing doesn't look much thicker than a BGE.
One 20lb bowl of charcoal burned for 85 hours, the walls are almost 2" thick with, vermiculite, high tech Aerogel and an acrylic insulation with ceramic spheres. You can easily touch outside when the dome temp is 750º The 23" weighs 588 lbs and the 32" weighs 954 lbs (128 of that 304 Stainless)
ToastedMorsel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #97
ToastedMorsel
Found some matches.

Default Komodo Kamado Picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Six pages of taunts and retorts, but only 1 measly pic of a KK??
Would love to see more pics from current owners... cooks, cookers, setups, etc. Would be educational (and enjoyable) for all I think.
Big Bad 32"

32" and 23" main & upper 3/8" Stainless grids

23" Ultimate

Inside a 23" KK

ToastedMorsel is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #98
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pizza at 900F

Folks, we did 3 pizzas yesterday and measured the results:

When the KK reached ~900F (very little heat soak other than coming up to temp) it took just over 5 minutes (could have cooked a little longer--but it was still good).

The next pie went on at ~750F (although the temps did shoot back up) and took slightly less time.

We held off on the last pizza until I started getting those "I'm still hungry looks" from the crowd and it was slightly over-cooked at ~900F at ~3 minutes.

With the pizza stone, a 45-minute heat soak at ~900F would likely yield a good pizza in about 3 minutes or slightly less.

My wife said we did a thin crust pizza recently at ~700F and it took about ~7 minutes.

I suppose the heat soak (and maybe crust depth) could be the missing variable.

To be clear, this is the first time we have ever cooked more than one pizza on the KK (over the last ~3 years). Regardless, in our normal mode of operation, we typically get the KK up to temp (~900F), throw on the pie, and enjoy a great pizza in about 6 minutes.
The Pup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #99
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

How long can you maintain 900F?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #100
smokeylips
Knows what a fatty is.

People were asking for pics so here is mine with some gyros meat cooking away. The yard looks like crap but my KK is as pretty as ever

Last edited by smokeylips; 03-24-2013 at 10:53 PM..
smokeylips is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #101
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I didn't win the powerball

Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #102
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylips View Post
People were asking for pics so here is mine with some gyros meat cooking away. The yard looks like crap but my KK is as pretty as ever
Sorry to say, but I didn't get any pics of your cooker.
ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #103
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm not really big on the disco ball one, but that black one looks amazing.

And people talk about how well insulated they are, but unless it uses the same ceramics as Wonder Womans jet,that blue one looks like there'd be a lot of heat loss

I think for now I'll stick with the Broil King Keg and the Mini..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastedMorsel View Post

23" Ultimate

Inside a 23" KK

ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #104
smokeylips
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubp_sanity View Post
Sorry to say, but I didn't get any pics of your cooker.
Sorry, I think I had a glass of wine, lol. Got distracted. But it is posted now
smokeylips is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #105
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylips View Post
The yard looks like crap but my KK is as pretty as ever
The yard looks pretty darn nice to me!