MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Default firebox basket help please...

This is my firebox how big of a basket will fit in it? And how much should I pay for it I need one to last for at least an 8 hour burn....

Thank you

Karl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-05-16-17-36-11.jpg (8.5 KB, 173 views)

Old 05-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you go to big it will stop up the air flow CG's Fire boxes are two small as it is I know I have one been cooking on it for 6 yrs. you can go 12.5 X 16 X 4 burn time is dependent on cook temp. If you want long burn times Build a UDS That CG will cook real good on Splits that is why it is Called STICK BURNER They aint meant to run on charcoal.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
If you go to big it will stop up the air flow CG's Fire boxes are two small as it is I know I have one been cooking on it for 6 yrs. you can go 12.5 X 16 X 4 burn time is dependent on cook temp. If you want long burn times Build a UDS That CG will cook real good on Splits that is why it is Called STICK BURNER They aint meant to run on charcoal.
I guess I am confused because on several other posts on this site and others, when people ask about CG's and holding temps with wood ev1 then tells them the reason being is CG's are charcoal burners and that is why they wont hold a temp.... I dont know anymore....lol

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't get discouraged I Start out with about 2-3 lbs of lump & two splits then 1 split every 45 minor so to maintain temp and I cook at 300 95 % of the time. You can use charcoal but Splits are easier and more efficient and make better tasting BBQ. Most folks who complain about a CharGriller being a leaky fuel hungry beast of a cooker that won't maintain temp without constantly having to fiddle with it. I have $30.00 in materials to mod mine it runs even temps across the entire surface and eats 1 split every 45 min.
Offsets are all about a good flow from intake to exhaust, having the right sized fire box to support the cooker is critical. The one on a CG is 85 % the size it needs to be so it suffers if you stuff to much stuff into it. It also does not have enough draft under the fire to get a good burn in it's original configuration. The base of the fire needs to sit in the center of the intake so there is a place for the ash to go without smothering out the fire. This cooker requires a Small Clean & Hot fire.
If you go putting a Big Charcoal basket in it you block up the air flow around the fire reducing the draft. That leads to stale smoke and a smoldering fire and creosote deposits on your Brisket, Ribs Shoulders or whatever your cooking.
This is mine in action

Puffin Sweet Blue Baptizing the Brisket

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

+1^^^
I also do just splits. I sometimes have a fire going in a fire pit next to the smoker to have some hot coals to put in the smoker - depending on the length of the cook.
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
kaosfury
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Karl

I put my problems with the char-griller to inexperience with smoking. I've turned out pulled pork that people nearly fought over, and the brisket never made it out of the house. Still have to battle the temps a bit, but I'm getting there.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone for the help, I am making quality cooks so much so that people are wanting to buy slabs ans briskets already and its only been a month. But the temp has been a bear to keep steady when I was cooking with only wood the temps would spike to like 500 then I would have to choke it all the way down and the minute I open it just a tiny bit it would flare back up. I have modded it by sealing everything up with gasket maker, I extended the stack on the inside, I even did the oven gasket but it didnt stop everything. I have even contemplated switching to a propane firebox. I would love it to stay between 275 and 300 but its hard.