MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
KuradiEit
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Brinkmann Square Vertical

At only $70 from Home Depot, the Brinkmann Heavy-Duty Square Vertical Smoker http://www.brinkmann.net/products/ou...tem=810-5503-S appears to be a screaming bargain.

Is it really?

According to reviews I've read online, the charcoal tray needs to be modified or replaced with something vented and the single-door model had issues with its hinges. But this is a (redesigned?) TWO-door model -- one for the fire/water and the other for the food. Easy access! On paper, the two-door system seems like an intelligent design. What do you think, is it? Compare it to bullets and eggs that need to be taken half apart to access whatever is on the lower rack. Having to do that strikes me as a rather glaring design flaw, yet we still hold units like the WSM in very high regard.

Unfortunately, my local Home Depots do not stock the square Brinkmann.
I would have to special order and buy it sight unseen just to be able to see, feel and scrutinize it.

What do you all know of this square smoker? Unlike the other (round) ECBs, it doesn't seem to be very popular. Why not? Is it simply overlooked? Or is it fatally flawed?

Thanks,
~Kai
KuradiEit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

That same smoker is available and in stock at all of the Walmarts around here where I live. If I were you I'd find one where you can look it over real good.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
capnrob97
On the road to being a farker

I have it, only cooked on it one time so far.

I replaced the charcoal pan with the grill top wok (which serves as a charcoal basket). The one I bought at Academy for $14 fits perfect.

It is thin gauge metal, but for the price, works well enough. I got the split door version, I have seen a single door version as well, but I like the split one better.
capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
KuradiEit
Knows what a fatty is.

I'll go take a look at it tomorrow. My local Walmart claims to have it in stock.

Most of the reviews at the Walmart website had the same complaint -- that it wouldn't get up to temperature due to the poorly designed solid coal tray. As I already mentioned, that issue can be remedied by either drilling holes in the original or replacing it with something like square grill wok. Someone suggested long bolts as legs.

Some also complained of the leaky doors. According to other reviews I'd read... Temporary fix = aluminum foil at the edges. Permanent fix = I don't remember what it's called but it's rope-like caulking made for fireplaces.

Whether or not this particular model is "chintzy," I still wonder why this design with the easy-access doors hasn't caught on. Would it be a more successful design than the bullets/eggs if it were of a higher quality?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
campdude
Babbling Farker

The steel is very thin. I think my ECB has heavier steel and it's cheaper, if that's what you're looking for.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
KuradiEit
Knows what a fatty is.

No, I'm not looking for cheap. I only pointed out its price because it is comparable to ECBs.

I'm mostly wondering why the "vault" design hasn't caught on. It SEEMS like a smarter design than the bullet/egg designs because the doors allow quick and easy access instead of having to take off the lid, set it down somewhere safe, remove the top grate/food and then set them down someplace safe to get to whatever is on the lower grate.

If the ones with the doors were of better quality (thicker metal, better coal tray, better doors, etc) would they be as popular as the top-access verticals? Or is there some kind of inherent flaw in their shape/design? And if not, why haven't more manufacturers gone in that direction? Top-access seems unnecessarily difficult.
~Kai

Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Matbe you should should take a look at something like this http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...&lnkSRC=HMR2P2 I was looking at this yesturday and was getting really excited (my wife wasn't however)

Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
capnrob97
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Matbe you should should take a look at something like this http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...&lnkSRC=HMR2P2 I was looking at this yesturday and was getting really excited (my wife wasn't however)
I bought that one at the Academy on Atlantic 3 or so weeks ago.

I really like it.
capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
KuradiEit
Knows what a fatty is.

Edited to fix something DUMB that I said: That Academy is nice but as an offset firebox unit, it's not a WATER smoker, right?

Sorry, guys, I phrased my initial question poorly. I used the Brinkmann as an example of the design and marveled at its low price. I'm *NOT* looking to buy one.

I am questioning whether the split door "vault" design isn't smarter than the top-access smokers and why manufacturers/consumers don't seem to have embraced the idea. Why are top-access vertical smokers more popular?

For example, if the Brinkmann's design were made as well as a WSM (and priced accordingly) would it give the ever-popular WSM a run for its money?
~Kai

Last edited by KuradiEit; 03-06-2011 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: poor wording, clarification

Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
FreeRange
Got rid of the matchlight.

I just modified my UltraCheap Brinkmann Square Vertical by using a grill wok like to use as a charcoal pan. I used 1/4 bolt and nuts to hold it off the bottom of the grill. The holes are large enough to let the ash fall through and increases airflow. I'm using a small baking sheet underneath to catch the ash for easier clean up. First use on baby backs today. Seems to burn at 225 to 250 quite a bit easier.
FreeRange is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
FreeRange
Got rid of the matchlight.

Sorry, can't seem to post my pics. Help...
FreeRange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuradiEit View Post
Edited to fix something DUMB that I said: That Academy is nice but as an offset firebox unit, it's not a WATER smoker, right?

Sorry, guys, I phrased my initial question poorly. I used the Brinkmann as an example of the design and marveled at its low price. I'm *NOT* looking to buy one.

I am questioning whether the split door "vault" design isn't smarter than the top-access smokers and why manufacturers/consumers don't seem to have embraced the idea. Why are top-access vertical smokers more popular?

For example, if the Brinkmann's design were made as well as a WSM (and priced accordingly) would it give the ever-popular WSM a run for its money?
~Kai
it is a water smoker, it has a water pan in the bottom of the smoke chamber. It's the classic "bandera" design which was the cooker that started this whole brethren thing. They have been made by a couple of different companies over the years including the sought after New Braunfels and the Brinkmann BKSD left hand model.
If you are interested in one, we might be able to work something out....

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote