What's up with the covers?

P

Panama_Jack

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a Bandera ($100 badly rusted floor model at WallyWorld). Needless to say, after years of using a brand X bullet smoker, the Bandera is a treat.

(BTW, if you're contemplating negotiating a similar "deal", think twice - only the Scot in me makes me think wire brushing and steel wooling all that rust made for a good deal!)

HOWEVER - from reading the posts, I get the feeling that NB is no more - at least not in it's original incarnation, and that the Bandera itself is no longer the same critter. Mine is, I think a 2001 - I gather that the newer models may be made elswhere, and may be smaller - which may be at the root of the following issue.

What's up with the cover? I'm in the Central Florida area, which is notorious for frequent rain. I wasn't about to repeat my rust scrubbing exercise, so, I ordered a cover. Now I've seen pictures of Banderas under cover that look pretty much like Raquel Welch wearing a black Dior to the Academy awards - I got mine in, ran to put in on, and the result looked a lot more like Minnie Pearl wearing a K-Mart knockoff of the Raquel Welch Dior.

This cover is shaped like a lopsided "A", and does, in fact, cover the smokebox - but it barely pulls down over the firebox lid and shelf, leaving the firebox door exposed to the elements.

The people at the support number I called were pretty clueless - I gather this is normal, and part of the "new and improved" NB. Nevertheless, the cover came with a picture of something that at least "looks" like my Bandera, right down to the Texas/New Braunfels logo.

Any clues out there? Do I need to send this puppy back and tell them a particular model of Bandera I have? Or is this just how the covers have always been, and I'm SOL if I want the Raquel/Dior look without contracting a local sailmaker?

Regards,

PJ

P.S. to Phil?

Congrats on the new site - PHP gives me hairballs - you've done a fine job with it! Somday mebbe I'll seduce you over to the dark side - FreeBSD - (Check netcraft.com top uptimes!) - but any *nix beats the whack out of Win!

My cover fits like a glove. Just gotta get it on the right way, which is sometimes a trick. But once its on, its perfect fit.

BBQchef33 said:
My cover fits like a glove. Just gotta get it on the right way, which is sometimes a trick. But once its on, its perfect fit.
Of course it leaves the thing looking like a flocked Christmas tree when you take the cover off. I'm curious what moron designed the cover with that soft felt-like material on the inside.

-David H

Thats easy to fix with a propane torch or a butane match. Poof...... gone.

BBQchef33 said:
Thats easy to fix with a propane torch or a butane match. Poof...... gone.
I don't think the wife wants me fixing the Christmas tree quite like that though :p

OK, folks

I wouldn't mind it fitting like a glove - problem is, mine fits like OJs glove.

Does anyone have a feeling for whether the new "Chinese" Banderas
are smaller or not - just wondering if they are smaller, if I got a cover
that fits like a Chinese glove...

Regards,

PJ

PS - I have a slightly different technique for marrying my JD to the meat -
I recommend giving the JD a big headstart - just start drinking on
Monday for Sunday's Q - hey, it all ends up headed the same way, right?

BBQchef33 said:

His cover fits like a glove because he never took it out of the package.

Not in a sinlgle picture, post, or in person, did I see a cover on Phils beast.

As far as me, just get either heavier drop cloth plastic, or a cover for the biggest gas grill you can find. Both will fit better than any prefab crap, and cost you 10bucks to boot.

hey, Speed racer can vouch for my cover.. He bought it for me. An so can Josh, he had to shw me how to get it on without loosing it and kicking the thing over. But in the summer, your right, it aint on, cause i use the beast so much.

and WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE??? your on vacation........

just thought id remind ya.

phil

vacation, yeah right.

Call you in a day or two bro.

I am bummed out

POOPIE happens, or rather, POOPIE alwas happens, to us.

Bill-Chicago

Back