MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Hit me up with your best WHOLE beef tenderloin recipe....

The plan for Christmas Eve dinner with Mrs. Wampus's family has to be a little different this year. Normally, I do a whole prime rib roast, but this year we don't have the time. We'll be attending mass together about 4:00 and I'll have to cook it up after mass.

SO......I was thinking whole beef tenderloin.
My local butcher has them for $7.99/lb (which seems like a pretty good price).
May even do TWO (depending on how many mouths I'll be feeding).

Early thoughts were just to make an herb and cracked peppercorn crust on it and do a reverse sear on the BGE. May even start it (them) on the UDS and sear on the Egg at the end (so I can get the egg SCREAMIN hot for the sear). Figured going until an IT of about 110-115 and then sear it so it ends up around 125-130 IT, rest and slice.

Thinking coriander seed, rosemary, whole (cracked) peppercorn, garlic, kosher salt to start with for the herb crust.

Just thought I'd get the Brethren's take on how they'd go about this.
Any ideas?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I haven't done many, but the few I have done I used a paste of olive oil, kosher salt, hole pepper corns, minced garlic, and rosemary. 225 until IT hits 115-120 then sear on all sides. Good luck Wamp, I'm sure you will nail it!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
thirdeye

I think both ideas so far sound good. Whole tenderloins look mighty rough right of the cryo package, but they clean up nicely. Be patient and set up a cutting board at the kitchen table so you can take your time. The good thing is that a tenderloin is one of the easiest things to barbecue.

Here is the way I trim and break them down.

I do a simple seasoning and I start out with a low temp fire and a tray as a heat deflector, then I'll finish raised direct allowing the pit to ramp up during the cook. Sometimes the end sear is not needed, so play that by eye.

I know this might sound weird, but because tenderloin is pretty lean, less fat means less beefy flavor. Way less "beefy" than a ribeye or a T-bone. An option is to inject them with a jazzed up beef broth. And some aujus is good served on the side. I have an easy aujus recipe it you would like to see it. Anyways, cook it until it's a few degrees under your target internal temp.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I think both ideas so far sound good. Whole tenderloins look mighty rough right of the cryo package, but they clean up nicely. Be patient and set up a cutting board at the kitchen table so you can take your time. The good thing is that a tenderloin is one of the easiest things to barbecue.

Here is the way I trim and break them down.

I do a simple seasoning and I start out with a low temp fire and a tray as a heat deflector, then I'll finish raised direct allowing the pit to ramp up during the cook. Sometimes the end sear is not needed, so play that by eye.

I know this might sound weird, but because tenderloin is pretty lean, less fat means less beefy flavor. Way less "beefy" than a ribeye or a T-bone. An option is to inject them with a jazzed up beef broth. And some aujus is good served on the side. I have an easy aujus recipe it you would like to see it. Anyways, cook it until it's a few degrees under your target internal temp.

2 things.....

First, do you always part out the tenderloin like that?
I assumed I'd just take it out of the cryo and trim the fat off and cook it. Do you see an issue with this? Do you use all the parts to cook the same? Just the "big ones"? If you don't cook the "chain" and "small end tip", what do you do with them?

Second, I'd considered an injection and honestly thought that I really wouldn't need it with this cut, but after reading your post, I may reconsider. I already have a pretty simple (but good) au jus, but I'd sure like to see yours. What
"jazzed up beef injection" would you suggest?

Thanks Wayne. As always.....GREAT advice.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
16Adams

Remove small tapered end "about 5-7" worth)

Insert liberal amounts of garlic cloves. Kosher salt and cracked black pepper for a rub.

I like to flash sear it first, then slow cook indirect with Ozark Oak or another premium lump-with no additional smoke wood added.

Since tenderloin has it's own unique rich mild flavor, to me the simpler the prep the better to enhance the flavor.

One more thing: the small end that is removed is saved for my private enjoyment grilled to medium rare at a later date using Coopers Seasoning.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Remove small tapered end "about 5-7" worth)

Insert liberal amounts of garlic cloves. Kosher salt and cracked black pepper for a rub.

I like to flash sear it first, then slow cook indirect with Ozark Oak or another premium lump-with no additional smoke wood added.

Since tenderloin has it's own unique rich mild flavor, to me the simpler the prep the better to enhance the flavor.
NO smoke?

I'd considered just doing a cast iron skillet sear and roasting it in the oven, but I thought a kiss of oak or mesquite would work well with it. Not so much?

Also.....you're talking about cutting small slits in the roast and inserting whole garlic cloves? I've done this with prime rib as well.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
16Adams

Ozark Oak lump by itself imparts a really nice mild smoke flavor. Check it's Naked Whiz rating. It's a tad more expensive-never seen it on sale, but is really nice. Yes to the small slits.

To my senses less is more with tenderloin.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I never thought of injecting a tenderloin. What recipe do you use? I like the idea in theory, but would be scared I'd mess up the natural flavor along with the texture....
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
16Adams

Wampus-one year I was told at the last minute I had about 18 people showing up on Christmas Day Night meal. I cooked a tenderloin as mentioned above, sliced it really thin and family made mini sandwiches with Kings Hawaiian rolls. Horseradish sour cream, chipotle mayonnaise + normal condiments. Served it with a German potato salad. There were other things there like Marie Callander's apple pie and Blue Bell ice cream.

Bottom line, tenderloin can be a pretty cheap way (other than olive loaf and white bread) to feed the masses an elegant meal-when you get surprised at the last minute. Tenderloin on a paper plate made for a memorable meal

Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I just trim the silver skin and fat, use a simple salt & pepper rub and cook indirect to about 100* then sear to an IT of about 120* (our family really like beef rare) , turning pretty frequently to get all sides. I've done them on the Webers but vhere is a shot of a couple on the Santa Maria ranch grill.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
2 things.....

First, do you always part out the tenderloin like that?
I assumed I'd just take it out of the cryo and trim the fat off and cook it. Do you see an issue with this? Do you use all the parts to cook the same? Just the "big ones"? If you don't cook the "chain" and "small end tip", what do you do with them?

Second, I'd considered an injection and honestly thought that I really wouldn't need it with this cut, but after reading your post, I may reconsider. I already have a pretty simple (but good) au jus, but I'd sure like to see yours. What
"jazzed up beef injection" would you suggest?

Thanks Wayne. As always.....GREAT advice.
The chain is a separate muscle, you can see it has a few more veins in it, and it's more marbled. It's no big deal to leave it on.... I just think the roast presents better without it. As far as the end, it's going to get overcooked, so I cut it off. I usually reserve the chain and end for stir fry, breakfast steak, or chicken fried steak. If you think at least three people like an end cut...., cut the roast in two pieces. You could also cook 1/2 the roast to rare and the other 1/2 to medium.

The injection just makes sure to get some beefy flavor in there, you are not cooking it long or to a high temp (like a brisket or chuck) so it should stay moist. I'm not saying tenderloin is bland but they don't have fat and a bone to give them as much flavor as we might expect. In a T-Bone or Porterhouse, the smallest muscle is the tenderloin, most folks love the tenderness of that muscle, and because the other side of the bone (the loin muscle) is flavorful, I don't think they notice the tenderloin flavor. You can inject before cooking and again during the cook (reserve some injection so you don't do cross contamination), and it doesn't take much.... just a couple of ounces.

My injection is pretty simple and I use the same thing for aujus, only I might dilute the portion I reserve for aujus with a little water. I also use it to reheat thin sliced beef for sandwiches.... French dip style.

~thirdeye~ Beefy Injection & AuJus

1-14 oz can Beef Consume
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion Soup (dry mix)
1-1/2 of the soup can cold water (adjust with more if needed)
5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 splashes of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 teaspoon Herb-OX beef bullion
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak rub
1 teaspoon Smokin’ Guns Rub (or another favorite)
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring ingredients to a low simmer in a saucepan, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Try to avoid having the liquid come to a boil. Additional water can be added if flavors are too strong, or if liquid gets too thick. AuJus is a thin table sauce, NOT a gravy. Pour through strainer to remove the onions and coarse pieces from the Montreal Steak rub. Serve warm

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I just trim the silver skin and fat, use a simple salt & pepper rub and cook indirect to about 100* then sear to an IT of about 120* (our family really like beef rare) , turning pretty frequently to get all sides. I've done them on the Webers but vhere is a shot of a couple on the Santa Maria ranch grill.

That is one cool rig.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Fwismoker

Simple SPOG type of rub...simple is good

Olive oil, rub, smoke and sear.... although i've seared and smoked. It's a game time decision.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

You've got some great tips here for the meet.

I'll add one for the horseradish sauce.

I C whipping cream
2T grated horseradish (adjust to taste) (jar is fine)
1t seasoned salt (preferably the smoked version)
4 dashes Red Hot Sauce

Whip cream as if making whipped cream for a dessert.
Add remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate.

Refrigerate :30 to 1:00 before serving.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
That is one cool rig.
Thanks, here is a link to the build thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=161033
The weather is getting right with cooler days and sundown a little earlier to make it fun to cook on.

PS: Wampus, we tie ours up so we can tuck the tip end back on itself rather than wack it off.