MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
unixadm
Take a breath!

Talking Custom Assassin 28 Smoker Delivered - It's Bad A$$!

Two hours into my delivery window I hear the rumble of a diesel! The custom Assassin 28 I ordered a couple of weeks ago has arrived. This was a unit that unfortunately the person who ordered it could not complete the purchase due to a family emergency. I had just lost my very close uncle two days prior and bought this to cheer me up. I will be naming the Assassin 28 "Clyde" in my Uncle's memory.

So what did I get?
  • Assassin 28
  • Six Shelves
  • Firebox Rain Drip Edge
  • Rounded Diamond Plate
  • DigiQ DX2 (Not Using)
  • Fitted Cover
  • Controlled by Stoker Wifi (From Rock's BBQ)

I want to thank Jeff and Robin for outstanding service. They run a great company and the quality, craftsmanship, customer service and heck, even the crating is outstanding. I can't find a single fault from start to finish, and I'm a picky SOB. I also want to thank "dobdabomb" because it's his thread and his custom configuration that sold me!

So let's check this bad boy out. I know, another Assassin thread. :)

Delivery:

Yes, I have a forklift in a very residential area and I love it. My neighbors, probably not so much.

Removing from Pallet (Who says an "IT" geek can't run a forklift):

Cleaned Interior and Racks + Two cans of Canola oil + Stoker Wifi:

Loaded with Royal Oak Lump (plus apple, oak, cherry and hickory chunks - why not) - Fire In The Hole!!!:

Geeky Stuff - Stoker-Web (Also has an Android app which connects to my Stoker-Web server):

The dip was caused by me screwing with Stoker-Web. It came right up to 300 degrees in about 25 minutes and set in nice and solid.... until I opened the firebox door. Gotta learn the hard way, that's my style. I'm impressed how quickly it came up to temp, and the awesome thing is... the outside is cool to the touch at 300 degrees.

Who knows, maybe I'll cook something tonight/overnight Worst case, it will be tomorrow afternoon/evening. I have an 8lb butt in the fridge. However I'm leaving first thing in the morning to go pick up a Lang 36. So there will be another thread a coming, when I get the third of the three stooges home and on the patio. :)

Today was a good day.

Last edited by unixadm; 01-03-2014 at 07:36 PM..
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Nice!

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Looks like you're gonna havea nice line-up. Congrats and sorry about your uncle.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Very delux rig. Congrats man!

Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Biged92
On the road to being a farker

Nice looking setup. What size fan are you using on the Stoker?

22.5 WSM w/ WiFi Stoker | 22.5" OTS | Assassin28 | Traeger Lil Tex Elite | GMG Daniel Boone
Biged92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
unixadm
Take a breath!

Thanks guys.

Fire!:

Seasoned:

Bacon.. cause I'm freakin starving:

I am trying out SM Sweet Seduction for the first time. Wow this rub smells great.. so a little sprinkle on the bacon and into the cooker. I dialed back the temperature to around 250 degrees. Going to make BLT's but I don't have any tomatoes. I don't really like them anyhow, so BLCM's (cheese and mayo) it is.

I tossed in a couple of chunks of Apple wood for good measure.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's the skinny horizontal model.........Congrats.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
unixadm
Take a breath!

Oh and like a dumb ass, I was so excited that I forgot to install a drip/steam pan. So I came out to the Exxon Valdez on my concrete. haha.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

That looks awesome, makes my wsm look sad out in my back yard. Sweet seduction is pretty amazing. Goes well with other rubs too.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Every Q'rs Driveway or Patio oughta have some Grease Stains!!

Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I love it! I have pretty much decided on an Assassin I think, just a little bit more money needs to be saved first. I love all the pictures.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Congrats!!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
mep
Full Fledged Farker

You are going to love the Assassin. Jeff and Robin do a great job and really go out of the way to help you get exactly what you want. I just got a great thank you from them today for helping to promote the smokers. Great folks.

Ajstrider, you won't go wrong choosing the Assassin. I have the 24" and it will cook a lot of meat at once. For my needs there was no reason to go with the 28 and I saved $500.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

that is nice.have fun with it
smoky joe
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
unixadm
Take a breath!

I sent Jeff and Robin a nice thank you email. While I don't have any experience cooking on this thing yet, I do have the experience of buying. Many times you buy something and feel let down or that it's misrepresented. Not the case with them and I think that goes for Rebel and Superior as well. I was going to buy a Superior SS-1 but when I got in touch with Jeff, he had this thing just sitting there waiting for a new owner, so I went that route. The customer service from Superior was outstanding as well. It seems the folks who are associated together have their heads screwed on straight and a desire to give their customers what they are paying for, both in product and service.

I have no concerns that this thing won't produce amazing BBQ. If it doesn't, it's my fault, not the cookers. If this thing works as good as I think it will, I don't think my Yoder YS1500 is gonna be around very long.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
Assassin Smoker Stoker Wifi