MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #16
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Amazing trip, story, and thread. Thanks

Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Ironically enough, when I looked closely at the Franklins pics, I saw myself sitting on the ground near the back of the line. I enjoyed it as well but your pictures are much much better. Thanks for sharing.

2 UDS / 1 XL UDS / Chargriller Duo / 2 Weber Kettles / Masterbuilt / Home-made whole hog cooker
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
cazzy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Ironically enough, when I looked closely at the Franklins pics, I saw myself sitting on the ground near the back of the line. I enjoyed it as well but your pictures are much much better. Thanks for sharing.
Wow, what are the odds of that?

Last edited by cazzy; 02-13-2014 at 03:32 PM..
cazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #19
scott1459
On the road to being a farker

great story and pics(especially b/w).
scott1459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #20
Jayson
Knows what a fatty is.

Great post! Thanks for the ratings!!

Jsn
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #21
erbeman

Man I was getting so excited for you reading through that and looking at your pics. I am an ex professional photographer myself and can really appreciate the photos in this thread. When I was reading what you ordered, I was thinking OMG, his bill is going to be $200 easy, so I'm kinda on the edge of my seat waiting for your wife to flip out, then you hit me with it was free! It was like the perfect ending to a feel good story. This is probably my favorite thread that I've ever read in a BBQ forum. Thank you for sharing. Great long exposure shot of the capitol BTW! How long was the exposure on that dude? Dang now I'm really missing having my camera gear!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #22
cazzy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbeman View Post
Man I was getting so excited for you reading through that and looking at your pics. I am an ex professional photographer myself and can really appreciate the photos in this thread. When I was reading what you ordered, I was thinking OMG, his bill is going to be $200 easy, so I'm kinda on the edge of my seat waiting for your wife to flip out, then you hit me with it was free! It was like the perfect ending to a feel good story. This is probably my favorite thread that I've ever read in a BBQ forum. Thank you for sharing. Great long exposure shot of the capitol BTW! How long was the exposure on that dude? Dang now I'm really missing having my camera gear!
Thanks! I'm glad that you enjoyed the read! It's hard to describe how amazing my weekend was in words, but I guess I didn't do that bad of a job. It truly was a weekend i'll remember for the rest of my life!

Appreciate your comments on my photos!! Here is the funny thing about the Capitol shot. I passed the vantage point in the pic, set up my shot and did a few long exposure shots with a tripod. When I was walking back, I saw the shot that I captured on page one. It just worked in my head because of the leading lines and balance composition elements that were just screaming at me. The wifey was ready to go, so I didn't set up my tripod and just handheld. When I got back and checked the long exposures in post...they were boring and flat!

It was captured with the following settings: 14mm f/2.8 ISO 1250 1/25 sec

Go get some gear! No reason not to shoot!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #23
erbeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy View Post
Thanks! I'm glad that you enjoyed the read! It's hard to describe how amazing my weekend was in words, but I guess I didn't do that bad of a job. It truly was a weekend i'll remember for the rest of my life!

Appreciate your comments on my photos!! Here is the funny thing about the Capitol shot. I passed the vantage point in the pic, set up my shot and did a few long exposure shots with a tripod. When I was walking back, I saw the shot that I captured on page one. It just worked in my head because of the leading lines and balance composition elements that were just screaming at me. The wifey was ready to go, so I didn't set up my tripod and just handheld. When I got back and checked the long exposures in post...they were boring and flat!

It was captured with the following settings: 14mm f/2.8 ISO 1250 1/25 sec

Go get some gear! No reason not to shoot!
That was 2.8 at 1/25 hand held!! Man that thing is tack sharp all the way through. I'm even more impressed now.

About 2.5 years ago I passed the Certified Professional Photographers exam and passed my image submission. I started shooting weddings and senior pictures on the side, but my wife had been battling cancer for about 6 months and hadn't been able to work. Within a few months it was obvious we were going bankrupt if I didn't do something drastic. So I sold my dirtbike and my other toys to get us by. Then I found a job here in Dallas almost doubling my salary from Lubbock, but unfortunately I had to sell my $12k worth of camera gear to pay to move us here with deposits, and all of that stuff. She ended up beating cancer after us being here for 6 months. Unfortunately due to all the side effects of cancer and chemo, she hasn't been able to work yet. So, I'm just keeping the lights on and everyone fed till she can start working again. Until then photography is just something I used to do unfortunately. But I'll live vicariously through your lens if you don't mind :)
Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
cazzy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbeman View Post
That was 2.8 at 1/25 hand held!! Man that thing is tack sharp all the way through. I'm even more impressed now.

About 2.5 years ago I passed the Certified Professional Photographers exam and passed my image submission. I started shooting weddings and senior pictures on the side, but my wife had been battling cancer for about 6 months and hadn't been able to work. Within a few months it was obvious we were going bankrupt if I didn't do something drastic. So I sold my dirtbike and my other toys to get us by. Then I found a job here in Dallas almost doubling my salary from Lubbock, but unfortunately I had to sell my $12k worth of camera gear to pay to move us here with deposits, and all of that stuff. She ended up beating cancer after us being here for 6 months. Unfortunately due to all the side effects of cancer and chemo, she hasn't been able to work yet. So, I'm just keeping the lights on and everyone fed till she can start working again. Until then photography is just something I used to do unfortunately. But I'll live vicariously through your lens if you don't mind :)
Wow man...what a journey! In the end, your wife won her battle and that's all that matters! In time, you will regain the material possessions, but it shows the type of man you are to sacrifice those items for the betterment of your family!

Damn straight you can live through my lens brother!

Last edited by cazzy; 02-14-2014 at 03:10 PM..
Thanks from: --->