MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #6856
DesMar
Knows what a fatty is.

Smile

Thanks samiam, it help to have friends with a garage full of tools and a welder.

Last edited by DesMar; 09-30-2010 at 03:17 AM..
DesMar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #6857
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

A couple pics of the two I just got done. I used a Kettle bottom for the lid on one, cut down the legs and used the ash pan for a rain hood. Used it the time time out and it worked great. The second drum is my buddies, he made a daisy wheel for his exuast, it is awesome!! Double rack for the "red rocket" and single rack for the flat top.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #6858
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Desmar, firescrambler, BlkJeep, Great looking drums! Keep on smokin!

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #6859
brunski
Knows what a fatty is.

Default ready to build a UDS (well, almost)

Got my new drum yesterday ... so I'm going to begin assembling my UDS this weekend.
I've taken a ton of notes from this forum and i'm ready to start. I'm sure i'll be popping some questions.
brunski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #6860
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #6861
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunski View Post
Got my new drum yesterday ... so I'm going to begin assembling my UDS this weekend.
I've taken a ton of notes from this forum and i'm ready to start. I'm sure i'll be popping some questions.

Make sure to post some pics as well!

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #6862
stglide
On the road to being a farker

Good idea w/ the bottom of the Weber! Interesting thought. Never thought of using the bottom as a lid. Should work though! I have one that I used the top for Ole Blue, so maybe on the next one, I just may give it a shot! Hope it works out!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #6863
DesMar
Knows what a fatty is.

BlkJeep, I like the idea of using the bottom part of a weber as a lid, seems taller than the top part of the weber. I'm still looking for a used weber on CL or Freecycle, so the flat lid will have to do for now.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #6864
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Not my idea, it was somewhere is this thread. But yes it's a little taller.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #6865
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hunchback View Post
Got any pics?
Pics are hard for me - they imply a finished product, and my uds has always been simply a work in process.

At the moment it is getting close to being "completed", by the end of this weekend, should be down to a pass through fitting for temp probes, paint, feet/castors, and a bottle opener (probably will pass on that as well, but do have one available). Perhaps I will post some work in process pictures...
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #6866
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

I have made it to page 61 in the thread and I will finish it over the weekend (maybe). I wanted to post a couple pics of the drum and too thank everyone again. You farkers really saved me a bunch of money on a new smoker.

Here is the UDS in action.

close up

HOPTOAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #6867
kroyman
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default My first UDS

Just got my UDS finished and the first smoke under my belt. Everything went well and the wife & I were very impressed. 2 racks of rubbed back loin ribs- 6 hour (hickory) smoke @ 230 degrees (no foil,no turning & no mopping). The ribs turned out GREAT- tender & great flavor. I have a question for you guys with more experience with your drums. The day we fired up the smoker the temp outside was around 85 F and bright sunshine- black smoker in the sun- really had a hard time keeping the temp down- all air vents closed 98% of the time and even had to place a chunk of hickory over about half the stack. Anybody else experience this situation? I've included some pics of my UDS setup. I have since chopped the 8" high stack to about 3.5" inches, thinking that maybe it was drawing too hard. I have (3) 3/4" holes @ 2" from bottom, (2) are magnet covered and one has adjustable raised air intake. I use a Redicheck 2-probe thermometer to monitor meat and center of grate temp.
The pivot feature is for easy clean out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc 006.jpg (97.8 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg misc 009.jpg (88.0 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg misc 010.jpg (87.1 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg misc 011.jpg (81.2 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg misc 014.jpg (119.0 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg misc 019.jpg (53.7 KB, 712 views)
kroyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #6868
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

You shouldn't use the exhaust to try to control temps. Leave it fully open. My guess is you started with to many hot coals. What are you using, bickets or lump? Also, nice looking drum!!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #6869
trza
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been reading this thread for about three weeks now, while I gather parts for two drums.

Next week I have to cook 100+ lbs of butts in these things for my wife's youth ministry, so I'm running out of time. These guys have to be fabbed by tomorrow so that I can test, season, and of course through on the traditional fatty to christen the drums during the week. I hope that my situation is deserving asking a question even though I am only on page 255.

Regarding fitting Weber tops to the drums - my drums are a bit too wide. I've got a ball pein hammer that I can use to make them a bit wider. Would that be OK vs. a rubber mallet that I see people have used previously?

I've also got a grinder and cutting disks available to go with the kettle band mod. But it looks like those bands get welded, and I have no welding skills (this is actually my first metal working project). If I can do something with drilling holes and perhaps some high temp silicone I wouldn't be afraid of that in the least.

Can a few of the vets out there give me some advice about how to handle the lid in the best manner? If you know of any pics that you can point me to, that would be especially helpful.

I've got one more trip to the hardware store to get a few more bolts tomorrow, so if I need to buy something else I can get it then.

Thanks for sharing all of your advice.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #6870
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

How close is teh Weber lid from covering the rim? If you cut off or ground down the lip of the drum would the Weber lid fit then? I guess a metal hammer would work but I prefer to use a double sided mallet that has a harder rubber on one side and a harder plastic on the other.

http://community.craftsman.com/Craft...ws?tab=details
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker