MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Darkman
Got Wood.

I really like Conecuh. I use it for Red Beans and Rice, Gumbo and for breakfast. I don't think that is the flavor profile I'm reaching for and it is a bit skinny about one inch thick here. I want something a little more substantial.

Who can say what they serve in the Texas BBQ places? The ones I guess around mid to north Texas. They always look fat and juicy. That is what I'm looking for. Something around 1 1/2 to 2 inch in diameter. I'm guessing that they probably are a beef sausage maybe. You bite into one of those and you'll know you got the real deal and not a fat hot dog.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Johnsonville brats, italian sausage, polish sausage....fatties.

It is all great and there is no best, just different

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
rjnolan85
Got Wood.

TuscaloosaQ and darkman are right absolutely correct. Conecuh is the only sausage I buy now. Good stuff.
rjnolan85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
OK I'm going waaay out on the ignorant limb here.

Is the Polish fine grained?

Why? I don't know! I have no logic!

BUT

I appreciate y'alls help!

Polish Sausage is a broad term, the same is true with the name kielbasa which is a generic term in Polish for sausage.

The kielbasa or polish sausage we have been exposed to is fine grained and very greasy. If you have a polish deli or butcher in your area the Polish version of this is Wedzona. I prefer to make Krakowska which has large chunks of meat and not all ground through a 13mm plate.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
OK I'm going waaay out on the ignorant limb here.

Pork sauasge = breakfast sausage.

Chicken sausage = healthy low calorie breakfast sausage.

See I'm out on the little bitty limbs.

My perception is probably wrong and I'm sure someone will enlightened me. At least I hope so!

Is the Polish fine grained?

Boudin Good stuff. Finding a great one is hard to do here.

Johnsonville is a good sausage.

The Butt will be pulled. The Chicken thighs finished with BBQ sauce. The ribs dry and sauced. What I'm looking for is a forth dimension in taste and texture.

Why? I don't know! I have no logic!

BUT

I appreciate y'alls help!
coleslaw
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #21
Darkman
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Polish Sausage is a broad term, the same is true with the name kielbasa which is a generic term in Polish for sausage.

The kielbasa or polish sausage we have been exposed to is fine grained and very greasy. If you have a polish deli or butcher in your area the Polish version of this is Wedzona. I prefer to make Krakowska which has large chunks of meat and not all ground through a 13mm plate.
I don't know about being MAD but you're pretty smart!

Never knew Kielbasa meant Sausage. That explains the wide differences in Kielbasa. From what you are saying I think the krakowska would be much better.

I'll see if I can find a local source. This part of America is a bit too homogenized and we don't have too many ethnic pockets which is a shame. So much heritage is lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
coleslaw
LUNCH
·BBQ Pulled Pork Butts
·Spare Ribs
·Smoked Chicken
·Sausage w Onions and Peppers
·Sides
oPotatoes salad
oCole slaw
oMac and cheese
oSliced tomatoes (if ripe)
oRed beans and rice
·Deserts
oPeach cobbler
oCake

Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #22
IamMadMan

Quote:
I don't know about being MAD but you're pretty smart!

Never knew Kielbasa meant Sausage. That explains the wide differences in Kielbasa. From what you are saying I think the krakowska would be much better.

I'll see if I can find a local source. This part of America is a bit too homogenized and we don't have too many ethnic pockets which is a shame. So much heritage is lost!
The other solution is to make your own quality sausage. It's not hard, it does require a little bit of time, a good grinder, and a stuffer. But the rewards far exceed the worth of your efforts.

You can't beat sausage made with quality ingredients which you have chosen and inspected. You will never find a fresher supply of good sausage made to your individual likes.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
Darkman
Got Wood.

I am in complete agreement with that and I hope to post retirement. I am a firm believer that the right equipment can make the difference between sucess and failure that and the right recipe/spice blend. For now I'll have to stick with store bought.

I did try a Kielbasa yesterday and it was as expected finely ground, mushy and nearly flavorless. I will not be cooking that one. I also found a FAT Conecuh that was pleasing too me. It will make the cut. One down three to go.

Another find was an Alligator sausage that I'll try later this week. It is made by a Cajun family that has relocated to this area about a decade ago. This could be number two of four!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

What do you all think about using the same bbq smoker for your beef/pork/chicken as well as sausages? Harry Soo recommended a different smoker for fish and dogs.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
Darkman
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
What do you all think about using the same bbq smoker for your beef/pork/chicken as well as sausages? Harry Soo recommended a different smoker for fish and dogs.
I haven't done any fish but I'd have to agree that at least a serious cleaning may be necessary after fish. Not sure that the dogs would cause any harm but then again I'm "looking for wood" so maybe I'm not the best one to ask that.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
Johnsonville? At least step up to Klement's You will thank me.
:
Klement's.................... Over a Johnsonville............ Quick call the Police, somebody stole your taste buds when you weren't looking.....hurry there is little time............run run.............
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
IamMadMan

Quote:
I am in complete agreement with that and I hope to post retirement. I am a firm believer that the right equipment can make the difference between sucess and failure that and the right recipe/spice blend. For now I'll have to stick with store bought.
You can always order from a butcher that ship "Overnight"...
I used to order from Redlinski Meats. They make a good Wedzona Kielbasa sausage and they also make great natural casing German style hot dogs (wieners).

Quote:
Another find was an Alligator sausage that I'll try later this week. It is made by a Cajun family that has relocated to this area about a decade ago. This could be number two of four!
You'll find the alligator sausage is lean and made from tougher cuts of the reptile. I think this would be more suited to hot and fast grilling. My In-laws bring me alligator sausage all the time. It's something different and a good conversation piece at BBQ gatherings. At least you can say you have eaten alligator, LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I use my smoker for beef, pork, chicken, as well as sausages (both hot and cold smoked) with no problems. In fact I bought my smoker (The Down East Beast) to accommodate large loads of sausage for smoking, as well as for smoking hams and bacon. There is no carry over of smell when I do beef, chicken, ribs, game, or sausage.

I learned my lesson about 20 years ago when I smoked my first load of white fish in the smoker. Even with a aggressive cleaning you can still smell the fish in both the smoker and in the smoke.

If someone wishes to smoke fish, I would suggest that they buy a cheap smoker for use only as a fish smoker.

Quote:
I haven't done any fish but I'd have to agree that at least a serious cleaning may be necessary after fish. Not sure that the dogs would cause any harm but then again I'm "looking for wood" so maybe I'm not the best one to ask that.
Depending on the type of fish, even a serious cleaning may not remove the odor from the smoker. Never have and never, will smoke a dog, so I can't help you with that part of your question..

Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
Arky Hog
Found some matches.

A smoked andouille or a smoked jalapeno with cheddar is always a winner around here.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
surgem7
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey guys, kiełbasa and andouille sausage you buy in the store is already smoked. You can smoke it again if you like. If you make it from scratch you got to smoke it
surgem7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #30
Darkman
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgem7 View Post
Hey guys, kiełbasa and andouille sausage you buy in the store is already smoked. You can smoke it again if you like. If you make it from scratch you got to smoke it
I purchased some fresh "Cajun Sausage" and "Italian Sausage" to try and have smoked it today. I asked the market guy about buying fresh Andouille sausage and he said he'd check. He called back and said that the "Cajun" sausage is Andouille. I asked if it was exactly and he kinda avoided that by saying it was as close as you could get.

Any way I'll give report later.