MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #31
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

will this methed work for the hair on my azz?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #32
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Yet another area that we don't need input from the board on... :)

I think Jorge had a nice succinct answer. It is part of prep, before anything else is done. Removing a stray feather is removing a stray feather. regardless of how it is done. IF we call that cooking, then aren't we all illegal? - the feathers were removed with scalding water or steam as part of the processing. So applying heat to the bird could potentially have started the cooking process, yadda, yadda...

Dan - not a dig at you, since I know you prefaced this question with winter bordem...

But another question in general...
At what point do we simply look to common sense to tell us vs. getting a ruling. If cooking is not the outcome, or the intent... why it is even in question? We need to have protections in place to avoid something like burning off a feather consuming board room time, right? If intent to defraud, cause some sort of malice, or provide an unfair advantage is the intent, then by all means put a rule in place to stop it... But for things such as this that seem so common sense, why would we cast any doubt?

Kinda like needing an "interpretation" of a rule that has been around forever.

Burn off a feather if you want, pluck or shave them, heck get the chemical hair remover made for chickens lol....
fun stuff!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #33
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post

I think Jorge had a nice succinct answer. It is part of prep, before anything else is done. Removing a stray feather is removing a stray feather. regardless of how it is done. IF we call that cooking, then aren't we all illegal? - the feathers were removed with scalding water or steam as part of the processing. So applying heat to the bird could potentially have started the cooking process, yadda, yadda...

Dan - not a dig at you, since I know you prefaced this question with winter bordem...

At what point do we simply look to common sense to tell us vs. getting a ruling. If cooking is not the outcome, or the intent... why it is even in question? We need to have protections in place to avoid something like burning off a feather consuming board room time, right? If intent to defraud, cause some sort of malice, or provide an unfair advantage is the intent, then by all means put a rule in place to stop it... But for things such as this that seem so common sense, why would we cast any doubt?

Burn off a feather if you want, pluck or shave them, heck get the chemical hair remover made for chickens lol....
fun stuff!!!
I wish I could remember who said it but the quote went something like "... because common sense is far less common than it used to be."
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #34
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Well its definitely winter. Burning off pin feathers was a common practice for removing them. Although we have other methods now it is still an viable process for removing the pins. How it could ever been considered cooking is beyond me. The thing we seem to forget when debating these issues is INTENT. What is the intent? Pin feather burn quickly and you could easily burn the skin if you hesitate. By burn I mean char not render fat or crisp.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #35
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyz View Post
will this methed work for the hair on my azz?
Yes, but make sure you post the video of it on YouTube.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #36
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
Yes, but make sure you post the video of it on YouTube.

I think I would keep any open flames clear of this area, go with the Nair, much safer.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #37
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Careful. This guy tried and it worked! But the method is flawed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yvt...eature=related

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #38
oceanpigassassins
On the road to being a farker

Hairy chicken is so good.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #39
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post

fun stuff!!!
I think we just learned who the "Big Name Team" was that Ryan caught lighting their chicken. Looks like Andy's been holding out on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpigassassins View Post
Hairy chicken is so good.
Better a hairy chicken than a hairy butt.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #40
chopshop
On the road to being a farker

i like my chicken hairy like my wife

Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #41
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I think we just learned who the "Big Name Team" was that Ryan caught lighting their chicken. Looks like Andy's been holding out on me.
The phrase "lighting their chicken" gave me a serious case of giggle pants

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #42
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
As long as the gas for the torch is made by the coal gasification method on site using charcoal or wood as the source fuel, then it should be legal. Here is a simple process flow chart for the process.

You must be friends with my Mechanical Operations instructor from the energy program!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #43
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Darn, I love the diagram. I spent four hours looking at it, but what I figure out is where is the bic lighter?
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #44
nthole
Babbling Farker

If it was illegal couldn't you just stick a stick into a fire until it caught and then use it to burn off the feather?
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #45
matthew burt
Full Fledged Farker

use a match...just wait until the sulfar burns off and its just wood burning.LOL

2 Stumps Platinum 5 (husker red)
Backwoods Professionall
custom mobile pit
Traeger Jr, WSM
new custom built insulated firebox offset
matthew burt is offline   Reply With Quote