Presentation tips

Learn from my mistakes

View attachment 3300

These ribs placed 9th out of 41 in Greenwood, SC. The appearance scores were all 8's (all six judges). Notice the white on the edge of the ribs that didn't get sauced or covered with parsley, that's the difference between 8 and 9. 9's in appearance would have placed me two or three notches higher(maybe more). By the way these ribs are cut in the style of "What Jim Said" on cmcadams previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be a jerk, but I'd suspect the issue was as much covering ribs with parsley as anything. Was there a reason to put it on top of some of the ribs? If I were judging it, I'd probably think that the cook was really trying to hide those, but trying to get enough ribs in the box.

I suppose a different approach to plating (placing in the box). I've never had bad scores with this box, although I've never had straight 9's either. So, you might be on to something. By the way, the ribs on the bottom are the same as the ribs on the top, not hiding anything.

I'm not saying you are hiding anything... Just thinking of what I might think if I were judging.

I just looked back at our presentations on ribs... the last time, I think it was pretty good, but someone else, without me knowing it, turned the ribs to show the sides a bit. It was too late to change it... but I really didn't want that :( I think we would have scored better with just 2 layers of 5 ribs each.

grribbox.jpg

From looking at those two pics, I would say butts' picture if he moved the parsley to the outside of the top row would be the higher score from me (not a trained judge though), I agree with cmcadams that is not the way I would want my ribs turned in either, there is just something about seeing the cut edge

Alot of Certified Judges will look for the smoke ring on the cut side of the rib. Showing the cut side isn't always bad.

Fredbird: Why aren't you chimeing in on this post?? You have scored pretty good on ribs!!

We always place six down and then 2 more on the sides to show the smoke ring. Seem to do pretty good with that.

Certified judges are instructed not to judge based on the smoke ring because it can be chemically produced. I realize this more specifically applies to brisket, but just the same . . . . If certified judges are scoring entries based on the smoke ring and telling about it, they should be reported. Seriously.

I don't want to take anything away from folks who score well with ribs on their sides. I think we all try to do what works for us. I guess if nothing else, it shows that there is more than one right way . . . .

Rod

P.S. - In addition to the Hollywood cut, I personally think that the double cut rib is a waste unless it is important to you that the judges take-home ziplock is full . . . .

cmcadams thanks for the hollywood cut clarification.
Butts, according to Ed Roith at CBJ class parsley was good but don't hide the meat, to him it takes away from the meat I would do same presentation again but I would tuck the parsley down more. Still looks good.

Rod: Who are you to tell people what is right or wrong with ribs!!!

No Really!! You are Kickin' some Major Butt this year!! You gotta be doing somthin' right!!

You have our respect!! Team Q

kcpellethead said:
Certified judges are instructed not to judge based on the smoke ring because it can be chemically produced. I realize this more specifically applies to brisket, but just the same . . . . If certified judges are scoring entries based on the smoke ring and telling about it, they should be reported. Seriously.

I don't want to take anything away from folks who score well with ribs on their sides. I think we all try to do what works for us. I guess if nothing else, it shows that there is more than one right way . . . .

Rod

P.S. - In addition to the Hollywood cut, I personally think that the double cut rib is a waste unless it is important to you that the judges take-home ziplock is full . . . .

Thank you Jay, we're hitting some right tables this year for sure. I've learned how to cook by being able to cook with several different great cooks over the years. They all have their own style and taste profile. It's really cool to see that there are many paths to the stage.

See you on the barbecue trail somewhere . . .

Rod

For those of you that are doing well (Rod, YankeeBBQ, etc.), are you using commercial rubs/sauces or your own?

I'm using one commercial rub and one commercial sauce. That's it. I put it on all four categories. KISS!

Rod

P.S. - There's more to it than just rub and sauce. You still have to select, prep, cook, and present the meat. Looking back, I thought I knew it all when we started cooking. I now know I've barely scratched the surface. I learn something new every time I cook. Those lessons become invaluable. Okay, I'm off my soap box now . . .

Last edited:
Rod, I agree that there's more to it than just pouring on some rub and slapping on some sauce. :)

We're trying to see how far we can go with our own rubs and sauces. I realize people win with commercial stuff, but we're not competing every weekend... we just want to see how well we can do right now with our own recipes. Each time we seem to move up a bit more... now if we can just place in more than one category. :)

I picked up Dr. BBQ's book the other day and he mentioned chopping the point and placing it under the slices of brisket flat for turn-in. I assume this is to fill more of the upper portion of the box?

But the chopped point is also hidden by the slices so it wouldn't be considered for appearance scores, no matter how good the color, etc. is. Can judges still factor it in for taste and texture scores?

SmokeInDaEye said:
I picked up Dr. BBQ's book the other day and he mentioned chopping the point and placing it under the slices of brisket flat for turn-in. I assume this is to fill more of the upper portion of the box?

But the chopped point is also hidden by the slices so it wouldn't be considered for appearance scores, no matter how good the color, etc. is. Can judges still factor it in for taste and texture scores?

Absolutely.
If it is in the box, it is part of the entry and fair game for sampling.
So, make it quality stuff :lol:

TIM

The_Kapn said:
Absolutely.
If it is in the box, it is part of the entry and fair game for sampling.
So, make it quality stuff :lol:

TIM

It also helps keep the slices warm and provides some "heft" to the box -- less room for lettuce and parsley!:rolleyes:

Back