Buying brisket for comps

Restaurant depot cab here. I dint really look at weight just a thick flat. Usually 14-18 lbs I would say

Could I ask why such large briskets? Is it to get a thick enough flat or to allow for aggressive trimming to get the most uniform piece? I've always heard that the larger briskets are tougher.........any truth to that?

Thanks,

Restaurant Depot...or if I can get someone to go in on a case with me R.W.Zant Meats in Los Angeles...Got a hook up there jncsocal from Pelletheads.com. They have great prices on USDA Prime, PM Meat out of Windom, MN. I prefer 14-15lb. USDA Choice, that size just seem to cook exceptionalyl well. ,

Black Canyon from National is one fine Brisket too!

Are Costco briskets full packers? Sams doesn't really carry packers and I thought they carried about the same thing?

I'm sure a lot of guys cook only flats. I'm always happier with my packer results. It drives me nuts that Sam's doesn't carry them. Though I just bought a case of butts and found them to be disappointing. I just hate driving 45 minutes to RD.

In the pacific NW, "regular" Costco's have quit carrying brisket now. At the "business" Costco, you can get whole packers, but now they are becoming harder to find as they are stocking more large flats now. Can't compare what Sam's Club carries, as there are only a couple of them around here and I have never been in one. As far as size goes, 13-16lbs, at least choice or better.

I have a hard time finding packers here in Des Moines. Been buying 6-8 pound flats.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I wonder how freshly butchered black angus choice would turn out? Seems that's the only way for me to get a full packer brisket!

Just picked up an 18lb Angus at RD. I look for a thick flat that bends.

Just picked up an 18lb Angus at RD. I look for a thick flat that bends.

Which RD? Planning on hitting South Plainfield, was there last weekend, and nothing bigger than 14lb with thinner flats. Need to get another one for Wildwood next weekend.

1x Angus 14-17lbs and 1x Wagyu 14-17lbs per comp. Wagyu is easy to get here in the NW however, it doesn't always do well - for some it's too rich.

Angus comes from my local butcher and the Wagyu comes from Snake River Farms.

Back