• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is there any reason to keep my Char-griller Akorn Kamado?

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I recently built a UDS (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160537) and it is awesome. Over the weekend, I used it for the first time experimenting with beef ribs and pork rib tips and it all came out great - better then what I could have done on my Char-griller Akorn.

Additionally, the UDS a lot easier to use than the Akorn. The Akorn is reasonably easy to use, but I always had to use a water pan or heat deflector, which is a hassle sometimes. Also, the Akorn tends to scorch the meat even at low temps because the charcoal is much closer to the meat. The cooking area is also very limited on the Akorn.

So, I'm considering selling the Akorn now. My initial thought is that my UDS can do everything (and more) that my Akorn can do. I don't ever grill at high heat on my Akorn. If I want high-heat, I just use my Weber gasser - much easier and faster. I also have Traeger pellet smoker that I love, so now I'm not sure if I should keep the Akorn.

I'm open to thoughts to help me decide what to do. Thanks.

I'd keep it. I love mine. If you don't use it for smoking it is great for grilling and searing. You are not gonna be able to achieve temps that high with your UDS. Just my 2 cents.

You can never have to many cookers!!

AHhh .... Pizza, Steaks, Burgers, Over Flow on Big Smokes,Cooking on Cold rainy days, Because he who dies with the most toys wins:noidea:

If you don't know how to use it and you find using a heat deflector a hassle then sell it. But have you ever compared the taste of a steak cooked over lump charcoal vs a gassser?

I don't have any problems with mine charing anything slow and low. (I use a 14" cast iron camp griddle as a heat deflector.) The one perk of the Akron over the UDS is insulation.

Up here in the snow states that is a concern, in fact it is one of the biggest reasons I bought an insulated smoker (less likely to crack than a ceramic due to steel construction). Kettles up here don't keep heat well in winter.

But being in Cali, a nice weather area, the insulation fact is useless given your set up. So yeah, if I had the geographical advantage to negate my need for insulation and specialty units for each type of cooking I would sell it.

Yes, keep it. At times the only correct answer for a myriad of questions is, "if for no other reason, just to piss the wife off."

beer Please, thanks

I recently built a UDS (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160537) and it is awesome. Over the weekend, I used it for the first time experimenting with beef ribs and pork rib tips and it all came out great - better then what I could have done on my Char-griller Akorn.

Additionally, the UDS a lot easier to use than the Akorn. The Akorn is reasonably easy to use, but I always had to use a water pan or heat deflector, which is a hassle sometimes. Also, the Akorn tends to scorch the meat even at low temps because the charcoal is much closer to the meat. The cooking area is also very limited on the Akorn.

So, I'm considering selling the Akorn now. My initial thought is that my UDS can do everything (and more) that my Akorn can do. I don't ever grill at high heat on my Akorn. If I want high-heat, I just use my Weber gasser - much easier and faster. I also have Traeger pellet smoker that I love, so now I'm not sure if I should keep the Akorn.

I'm open to thoughts to help me decide what to do. Thanks.

You have too many toys.

I had a vision where I was given an Akorn by a member of the brethren. I could not see their face or name. And then I see this post.

Coincidence? I think not.

You can PM for pickup details.

Seriously, though, you should keep it. Let's face it, if there was one tool that did everything we need, Home Depot and Lowe's and Snap On Tools would be out of business.

I have a gasser for quick cook jobs, so I can get back to commenting on the forum and picking navel lint.

My UDS is now the workhorse for feeding hungry teens for a week (or less).

If I ever get the Big Baby dialed in, it will be the party cooker.

My old Char-Broiler (griller/smoker aka groker) can still turn out a nice tri-tip or double as a warmer, and the re-purposed ECB is a cold smoker.

Don't lose the Akorn. You'll find something else for it to cook.

Thanks for the replies. I go back and forth on keeping or selling it. I suppose I should keep it until the novelty of the UDS wears off. Then, maybe I can be a little more objective and not swayed by my new toy, the UDS.

If you get bored using your UDS :shocked:, I will take it from you, after fighting off the other SoCal brethren...:boxing:

The akorn is always going to be far more fuel efficient than a UDS. If you are burning your food, I'm wondering if a diffuser would help (assuming you aren't using one).

But yeah.. Pizza, steaks, reverse searing anything. I'd keep the akorn unless it's pooping on your deck or something.

How 'bout when yer jus cookin 1 or 2 steaks or 1 or 2 burgers, or just 1 rack of ribs or just 1 tri tip or anytime you cook small. The Akorn is so great and fuel efficient for those times. I don't even have any need for big ol' UDS but I love my Akorn and use 2-3 times a week.

I just got myself an RF but I'm not giving up my Akorn! I would keep it.

one of the coolest mods I've done to my Akorn is buy a 7.5 quart stainless steel spaghetti strainer from Bed Bath and Beyond. It sits on the coal grate with about 3/4 chimeny of glowing lump and gives fantastic cooking area on the CI grate and an off area for milder temp. Tonight was a 1.5" t-bone, andouille sausage and garlic butter Brussels sprouts. The Akorn is quite versatile. Tomorrow I can sift the coals or just chunk them by lifting the stainless strainer by its handles.

I'll say this.....

I've had my UDS for years now, and I love it.
This past fall, I started to store (and use) a Big Steel Keg and LBGE for a friend.
I still love my UDS, but I've used the two kamado style cookers a LOT more than it in recent months. I'll be using the UDS this weekend because I need to cook 8 butts, but if it weren't for the sheer quantity, I'd find a way to use the two kamado cookers.

If it were me, I would NOT be getting rid of your Akorn at ALL.

I never made pizza on a grill until last Saturday, OMG! It tasted like it came right out of a wood burning oven at a real pizzeria!

Back