• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Practice, practice, practice...

Jeff Selle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been practicing for competition this summer and my co-wokers have been taste testing my flavor profiles over the past couple of months...

Turns out one of my co-worker's husband raises beef, so she brought in some meat for me to practice on!

There not pork ribs and brisket, but short ribs and chuck should work to test out my beef flavor profiles. I got some Plowboys Bovine Bold to try on this cook... If it works out I'll be trying a brisket next weekend (if my stoker ever gets here)

Attachments

• Chcuk and ribs 001.jpg
    Chcuk and ribs 001.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 192
Kinda skimpin' on the Bovine Bold there Jeff!

Let it flow!

@solidkick, I'm going to take them to 190 and pull them for sandwhiches I think... I thought about 140-160 and slicing, but there are squeemish types at work that don't like pink meat...

@swamprb, I will adding as I go, but I wasn't sure how much to use...i haven't tried this rub on beef yet, didn't want to over do it... thanks for the tip..

Lookin' good Jeff...I agree with swamprb...let the Bovine outta the jar baby! Rub it up the the night before then add a dusting more before you toss it on the bullet...:cool:

Unexpected downpour lends a whole new meaning to firefighting... Internals are sitting at 150, and so is the dome temp. Added fuel and hoping for the best... I was shooting for 9:30 pacific time, but she may go longer. If this rain doesn't let up, i might have to move the smoker up on the deck... (don't tell my wife)

Unexpected downpour lends a whole new meaning to firefighting... Internals are sitting at 150, and so is the dome temp. Added fuel and hoping for the best... I was shooting for 9:30 pacific time, but she may go longer. If this rain doesn't let up, i might have to move the smoker up on the deck... (don't tell my wife)

You did say you were practicing for a comp, right? I think we had rain at almost every comp we did last year! Good practice! :becky:

Good for you. Start thinking about how you can handle that situation if it happens at the comp. Can you move the WSM under your canopy or shield it somehow?

Yeah, I can... I just pulled and emptied the water pan... the fire kicked up, while I did that and now waiting to see if i can hold her up higher without the water... if not, I'll move it up on the covered deck ... it'll be easier now with no water inside

Update: 230 and holding now...

Last edited:
Just foiled at 170, rain stopped and temps have been holding in the 230-250 range ... we'll have these babies restin' in no time

Finally, after 7 hours I pulled two racks of ribs (the third needs another 30 minutes or so), and both chucks came off at about 6.5 hours. I am going to rest them and then cool them down in the fridge. I 'll cut them tomorrow when they are cold and reheat them on the grill at work before I sauce them... These pictures aren't the greatest, but I didn't want to unfoil them all of the way. The Bovine Bold, BTW, is fantastic...

Thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone... that made what might have been a frustrating evening turn out to be a pretty fun cook!

Attachments

• Chcuk and ribs 002.jpg
    Chcuk and ribs 002.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Chcuk and ribs 003.jpg
    Chcuk and ribs 003.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back