Mahi mahi on the BBQ?

Zedsdead

Knows what a fatty is.
It's my favorite fish at restaurants never tried it on the BBQ though. Anyone gt a good recipe/method for mah mahi on the BBQ?

I sometimes brine it in a mild salt water solution and then rinse it. Season it lightly with your favorite and smoke low and slo. If you want it for dinner pull it when it flakes apart. Otherwise let it go a little longer to firm it up.

Use that for dips or however else you like smoked fish.

Mahi is delish on the smoker

If your grillin, do it faster,no brine. forget about the longer part.

Send some to me so I can tell if you did it right.

I think it would be best grilled. Prolly wont take but less than 15 mins. I think I would try it in a fish taco! just my 2 cents.

Grilled mahi enchiladas.
Grilled mahi fish tacos.
Deep fried mahi nuggets (cast iron, of course).

Lotza good stuff can be made with this fish. :thumb:

I heart mahi mahi.

I have this recipe from Emeril you may want to try.

Grilled Taro Leaf Wrapped Mahi Mahi with Lilikoi - Passion Fruit Reduction

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup tamari
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 8 large taro leaves, or banana leaves
  • 4 (6-ounce) mahi-mahi fillets
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced Maui onions
  • 1 cup thinly sliced carrots, about 3-inches in length
  • 1 cup thinly sliced celery, about 3-inches in length
  • 1/2 cup bias-cut green onions
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced ginger
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Lilikoi Reduction
Instructions

In a small saucepan, combine the tamari and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.

Prepare a grill.

Lay 1 taro leaf on a flat surface. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the tamari reduction in the center and top with 1 mahi-mahi fillet. Top the fish with 1/4 of the onions, carrots, celery, green onions, ginger and garlic. Season the fish and vegetables with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and completely wrap inside the leaf. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Wrap each fish fillet inside another leaf and place, folded sides down on the hot grill. Grill for 7 minutes per side.

Remove from the grill and unwrap each bundle. Spoon 1/4 cup of the fruit reduction on each of 4 plates and top with the fish and vegetables. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

Lilikoi Reduction

Ingredients

• 14 ounces lilikoi or passion fruit puree or juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup sake
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Instructions

In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients and cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 1 cup

if you use wood add a few coffee pellets just a couple so as not to over flavor and add them in the last 2 to 3 minutes of the cook

Here is my favorite Mahi Mahi for the grill with photos from my blog post about it. We have been making this for probably 10 years and everyone has always loved it. I hate fish and even I ate it!

DSC_0517resizedBOcrop.jpg

Mahi Mahi Maui Style
source: Not sure. I find this on several of the big recipe sites but no one cites the original source.

3-4 mahi mahi fillets
2 tsp butter
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp teriyaki sauce
4 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp honey
2 tsp sesame seeds

Melt the butter and saute garlic until it starts to brown. Remove from heat and whisk in the teriyaki sauce, lemon juice, honey and 1 tsp of the sesame seeds.

Marinate the fillets for 30 minutes while you preheat a grill to 350f.

Grill meat side down for about 3 minutes. Flip and grill skin side down for 5-8 minutes, until the fillet hits an internal temp of 140f.

Serve with sweet and sour rice and soy steamed green beans. I poured a smiddgen (official measurement) of the sweet and sour sauce over the fish too.

A lot of good ideas in here, but for starters I'd just hit it with your favorite rub and grill it on high heat (should take about 10 mins or so - depending on how thick it is). It's really good in fish tacos. It's also really tough to screw up - one of the easiest fish to grill.

Smoked Dolphin make the best fish taco's. we catch these little chicken dolphin and fillet them out throw them on the smoker low and slow for about an hour and then slice into pieces that fit into a taco shell with oriental slaw on top.....Gotta go check my freezer..

Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder. I just like mahi too much to hide it's flavor with anything else. Grill it up hot and fast and you will love it.

Back