MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Mod for the Kettle Pizza

I've been real hesistant to buy the Kettle Pizza gizmo as I'm really picky about trying to do it right and based on seeing it in person and not crazy about the design and results.

However, this simple mod looks like a viable option to improve it's inherent flaws..

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...its-maker.html

The Pizza Lab: In Which We Get The KettlePizza Insert Working And Meet Its Maker

[Photographs: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt]

Good news: we finally got some good results out of the KettlePizza after-market insert that supposedly turns your kettle grill into a wood-burning pizza oven. Strike that, we actually got great results. In fact, I'd even say the pies I've been pulling off my grill for the past few weeks have been some of the best I've ever made at home.
But hold up, what's going on? Haven't we already reviewed the original insert along with the new and improved model and achieved only mediocre-to-poor results?
Yes indeed. But those tests were on the KettlePizza insert, straight-out-of-the-box, no hacking no modifying, working with them exactly as instructed. This time, we've tried out a few different inexpensive hacks to modify the existing insert into something that really produces a great pie. By the time we were through, we were pulling out neapolitan-style pies that cooked through in a mere two to three minutes, producing excellent charring, a moist, cloud-like interior, and a crackly, blistered crust.
The Problems With the Original

Here's what the insert looks like out of the box:

A steel ring with a door cut in it, and a stone that you place on your grill rack. That's it. The problem here is that when you bake your pizzas, even with an air temperature over nearly 1000°F, the tops of the pies don't cook nearly fast enough. You end up with something charred on the bottom but barely pale blond on top.
Now for some people, this isn't a big deal. We visited the KettlePizza inventor Al Contarino at his small warehouse-style factory just north of Boston and chatted with him about his goals and his market. "Most of our customers are dads who just want to cook a few pizzas with the kids in the backyard. They aren't the hardcore pizza guys, they're happy just to get decent results."
That makes a lot of sense, and by all accounts, those casual pizza-making customers are very happy with the results.
That said, I wondered if we couldn't right the thing up to work for you guys, the Slice'rs and real pie-heads.
I had two theories as to why the top of the pizzas aren't cooking fast enough. The first is that there is too much volume in the grill once the insert is placed and the domed lid is in place. Air circulates around the top, up and over the pie, then goes straight out the door in the front. Your pizza ends up missing the bulk of the hot air.
The second theory is that a kettle grill lid is simply too thin and conductive. Rather than storing heat and re-emitting it as radiant energy the way a real stone oven does, heat is conducted then radiated outwards into the air. Your pizza doesn't get enough radiation, and thus doesn't cook fast enough.
Testing Theory #1

Theory 1 is easy to test. If it's simply a matter of air volume, reducing that headspace should make for a superior end product. To test this, I covered the entire top surface of the KettlePizza insert with heavy duty aluminum foil before placing the lid on it to keep it in place.
After firing it up and preheating, I baked off a pie. After about 5 minutes, here's what emerged from the oven:

A definite and huge improvement, but still not quite the bumpy, blistery, charred look I was going for. Looks like the thermal mass issue would have to be addressed.
Testing Theory #2

KettlePizza inventor Al is a clever man and designed his gadget to be used not just as a pizza oven, but also as a "double cooker," allowing you to grill foods on two different levels simultaneously, which he demonstrates in this video. The idea is that you put your chicken or steak or whatever on the bottom grill close to the coals, then insert a second grill (you can get them for under $20

) where you can slowly cook your corn or other vegetables.
What I saw was an opportunity to solve the thermal mass problem.

I set up the KettlePizza with a stone on the bottom, a second grate, and a large stone on the top (Ideally I would have like a completely circular one to cover the entire top surface), then sealed up all the edges with heavy duty aluminum foil and lit'er up.

After about 20 minutes of preheating, I hit temperatures that seemed reasonable for pizza: a little over 500°F on the floor (which actually rose up to around 650°F by the time I was on my third pie), and nearly 800°F on the top stone, with air temps somewhere in the 800 to 900°F range.

For this particular test, I didn't go straight for a traditional Neapolitan style, but instead did a sort of hybrid mix of a Neapolitan with a New York style pizza, using a no-knead, cold fermented Neapolitan dough, along with a cooked New York style pizza sauce and some aged, full-fat, shredded mozzarella.

I knew I was in good shape when I made my first turn after 45 seconds and saw the great charring on the bones.
Here's what popped out about 4 minutes later:

Neapolitan? No. I'd compare it in flavor more to the smoky, New York style pies you can get at Best Pizza in Williamsburg, though mine definitely had much more charring and a lighter, poofier crust.
I mean, check out this cornicione:

As the grill continued to heat up, the pies became increasingly better, cooking faster and faster. They peaked at about 2 minutes before the coals started to lose some of their heat. I'd imagine that the heat from the dying coals would be perfect for cooking some rustic Italian or French-style bread.

My favorite pie of the night was made with pepperoni (unfortunately no natural casing, though they still managed to get some nice charred, crisp edges), along with some homemade sausage (using my recipe here) which I threw on in raw chunks lightly dusted in flour for easier application and better browning.

As for the bottom of the pies, they were coming out gorgeously crusty and charred:

This is a method I'll definitely be using in the future, and once you've actually got the KettlePizza insert, remarkably simple and inexpensive to throw together—far easier than some of the other hacks I've seen out there.
Though I do think I'm going to have to invest in a more heavy duty stone:

Would You Buy This?

After chatting with Al a bit longer, we got the idea perhaps there's a market in the pro-pizza audience for a Special Edition KettlePizza Insert aimed directly at the type of people who want to be able to cook at near Neapolitan speeds in their backyards. Right now, your only real options are to hack something together (and thus far this seems to be the cheapest and easiest gadget to hack), or go all out and build yourself a real pizza oven.

So my question to you guys is: If you could buy something that allowed you to convert your kettle grill into a hardcore pizza oven, right out of the box, no hacking required, for the fraction of a cost of a real pizza oven, would you want it?

Who knows—if there's enough support for the idea, it may become a reality some time in the future. Until then, I think I've finally come around and been convinced: With some minimal hacking, the KettlePizza Insert is a great solution for home pizza makers wishing to produce stone-oven quality pizza at home.
About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I like the idea for the mods. I already have a Red Sky Pizza stone. I will be looking into this.

Do you think the stone that comes with the kit would work for the top stone?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Interesting. I have one of these on my dads old 18" OTS. Will try this mod but do think it would make it a pain to add wood. I find I need to add wood after every couple pies to keep the heat up around 700 or so. But I guess I fall into the inventors target audience.

Latest fun thing with this is making deep dish in a cast iron skillet.

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Vinny,

If you want to borrow one for a test drive before purchasing it, let me know.

As an aside, I've been VERY happy with mine.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Damn that looks good. This may be in my future.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

think the XL bge pizza stone would be perfect across the top shelf. no need for foil.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
chagovatoloco
Full Fledged Farker

I'm interested to see what members have invented to cook pizza on their kettle.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

Bingo! This was exactly my plan. I have the kettle, I have a big stone for the food grate, I have a smaller round stone for the ceiling and will use foil to make a ceiling. It is like they are inside my head (Joke).

Based on what I had seen posted on a couple of Pizza oriented forums, this forum and a talking with a friend, I was pretty sure that this was the optimal setup for a Kettle Pizza. All it takes is a second grate to set in the ceiling, which the Kettle is actually set up to handle. The only thing the OEM folks did not do was foil it, they used it for a second warmer area if you were heating other things for a meal.

My next project is making a door that will cover the opening and cutout words. I am not sure how tight the fit is, but it may turn out to be a great extension ring for smoking. I use the Smokenator in my Weber and the large door would give great access to the Smokenator for feeding charcoal and wood, providing it can be closed. Some sort of "sandwich" that easily bolted onto the kettle opening and was hinged would turn this into not just Pizza, but a handy smoker extension (I'm hoping).

But the bottom line here is that Weber owners with a Pizza Kettle can kick out Wood Fired Pizza of TOP QUALITY! Yeah! Hoorah!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

It looks like the top stone cracked in the 3rd picture from last. This would be my biggest concern. This happened to me when I tried to cook 2 pizzas in my oven at the same time because I had a bunch of people over for a football game and everyone was hungry. I used the convection feature and the top stone cracked from the moisture of the lower pizza. A really loud boom and chunks of stone and pizza fell on the lower pizza ruining everything. Ended up having to order take-out pizza, yuck, not to mention my wife was pissed because the second stone was hers.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagovatoloco View Post
I'm interested to see what members have invented to cook pizza on their kettle.
I don't have a kettle, but I convert my traeger for direct flame (just like a kettle) and cook @450 using a ceramic tile from home depot. You could use a tile nipper to fit it perfectly in a kettle though.

Lil video on it
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
norcaljr
Got Wood.

I was looking at buying this, but saw the OP's first review and held off. If they come out with a HD/pro model then I'm in.
norcaljr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
chagovatoloco
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
I don't have a kettle, but I convert my traeger for direct flame (just like a kettle) and cook @450 using a ceramic tile from home depot. You could use a tile nipper to fit it perfectly in a kettle though.

Lil video on it
Bentley traeger pizza! - YouTube
That looks good, I think I will start a thread on kettle pizza. Know that I know it can be done. thanks!