From Comp to Resturant

BoneDaddy's

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hi All, A friend is adding ribs and pulled pork to their seafood shack for the summer and I they have asked if I could consult on the cooks. They have a FEC 120 and only anticipate doing small amounts at first, but growing over the years. I would love to see them cook ribs for a few hours, wrap with brown sugar, honey, butter etc. as that is how I cook at home and at comps. Is it practical to do that at a restaurant?

thoughts?

Just to add, they are projecting around 10 racks and 4 butts to start and are not worried about selling out, that will be part of the attraction to start!

Personally I don't think it's too practical. It's added cost to an already costly meat. They could of course charge more, but would customers paying for seafood be willing? There's also the labor involved, if there are plenty of hands to go around, maybe but if not.. it would be quite a chore. Applying some spray butter and some sweet homemade rub could be an alternative.

They can do it, for sure...and I would guess that there are some restaurants that do...but it just isn't the norm. Competition barbecue simply isn't what you expect when you sit down at a restaurant. Comp'cue is just that...one bite, pack as much flavor in as you can "food". At a restaurant I want to be able to put down an entire rack by myself if I feel like it. Sensory overload isn't what I want in that situation.

As a restaurateur myself...I would most likely be smoking until the color is where I want it & then wrap just to tenderness/pullback. A spritz of ACV & water in the foil is enough for me (might not be for you). Sauce or extra rub is a nice touch at service. This process is quick, and doesn't require alot of talent or expense. Ribs aren't a huge money maker & should be treated as such. If ribs are not your calling card, you probably aren't going to be able to charge a premium for them.

They can do it, for sure...and I would guess that there are some restaurants that do...but it just isn't the norm. Competition barbecue simply isn't what you expect when you sit down at a restaurant. Comp'cue is just that...one bite, pack as much flavor in as you can "food". At a restaurant I want to be able to put down an entire rack by myself if I feel like it. Sensory overload isn't what I want in that situation.

As a restaurateur myself...I would most likely be smoking until the color is where I want it & then wrap just to tenderness/pullback. A spritz of ACV & water in the foil is enough for me (might not be for you). Sauce or extra rub is a nice touch at service. This process is quick, and doesn't require alot of talent or expense. Ribs aren't a huge money maker & should be treated as such. If ribs are not your calling card, you probably aren't going to be able to charge a premium for them.

Great point! Thx

Back